Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Game Shilling on Codex: Accepted or Not?

Don Peste

Arcane
toro is a plant on Infinitron's payroll and this is just another false flag thread to distract us from the Torment Cut Content Scandal.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
My issues are with them: trolling each thread pretending that they are honest parties when in fact they have an agenda. It's really frustrating to talk to walls.
By this token, 95% of people on the Codex have an agenda. WL2 and PoE are but two most recent examples of polarizing games that caused butthurt, indigestion, and topic derails.

Bullshit. You are making an assumption and there is no way to prove it or otherwise.

But if you want to defend this two fucks then feel free to carry on.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
"shill" implies a certain level of mercenary insincerity. I think goral and lk are True Believers

fanboys ≠ shills

They are many other things at the same time but there is only one thing they have in common.

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization.

It pretty much covers the situation.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
My issues are with them: trolling each thread pretending that they are honest parties when in fact they have an agenda. It's really frustrating to talk to walls.
By this token, 95% of people on the Codex have an agenda. WL2 and PoE are but two most recent examples of polarizing games that caused butthurt, indigestion, and topic derails.

Bullshit. You are making an assumption and there is no way to prove it or otherwise.

I'm not trying to defend anything as there's nothing to defend.

Thread derails are very common. Here is one. A guy asks to recommend him a game, Jason says AoD combat is shit, people ignore it, he says it again and then everyone's discussing AoD combat. Mission accomplished:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/recommend-me-something.113478/

It's not the only example and I'm not making a fuss about it because that's business as usual on the Codex. We all know who really likes or really hates some game because we get to read about it a lot.

As for making assumptions, I assure you that it's not the case. It may come as a surprise to you but I monitor sales like 24/7 and see what causes spikes and where the traffic is coming from, down to an article or a forum thread that triggered some interest. Of course you'd have to take my word for it but viral marketing works only when long-term members of some forum discover a game and start posting positive impressions. Like these threads for example:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1124292
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279297

Well-wishing newcomers who join new forums to spread the word and bring light never make any impact. I post on many forums where people show interest, which has a much stronger impact as people prefer to talk to developers directly and appreciate when they take time to answer some questions.

A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization.

What close relationship? Are they working for us? No. Did we ask them to spread awareness? No. They are enthusiastic fans who happened to like AoD a lot. I'm sorry that it bothers you a LOT, but that's all there's to it.

racofer

Thread Incliner

I'm not trying to defend anything as there's nothing to defend.

Thread derails are very common. Here is one. A guy asks to recommend him a game, Jason says AoD combat is shit, people ignore it, he says it again and then everyone's discussing AoD combat. Mission accomplished:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/recommend-me-something.113478/

It's not the only example and I'm not making a fuss about it because that's business as usual on the Codex. We all know who really likes or really hates some game because we get to read about it a lot.

As for making assumptions, I assure you that it's not the case. It may come as a surprise to you but I monitor sales like 24/7 and see what causes spikes and where the traffic is coming from, down to an article or a forum thread that triggered some interest. Of course you'd have to take my word for it but viral marketing works only when long-term members of some forum discover a game and start posting positive impressions. Like these threads for example:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1124292
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279297

Well-wishing newcomers who join new forums to spread the word and bring light never make any impact. I post on many forums where people show interest, which has a much stronger impact as people prefer to talk to developers directly and appreciate when they take time to answer some questions.

What close relationship? Are they working for us? No. Did we ask them to spread awareness? No. They are enthusiastic fans who happened to like AoD a lot. I'm sorry that it bothers you a LOT, but that's all there's to it.
"We do not support radical Muslims fanboys. They do not represent us in any way. Islam Iron Tower Studios is peace."

Trashos

Arcane
To be fair, I liked AoD so much, that I would "shill" too if I had the patience. I did write my first Steam review ever for it, at least.

VD can't say anything that may potentially earn their ire, once scorned they may spend twice as much effort trashing the next ITS game. and no one wants to deal with that shit.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy

lol
Unless being a DR tester can be called "a relationship" (which Darth Roxor, AbounI and Eyestabber where also a part of) there is no relationship, search through VD's posts with "Goral" as a keyword, you seem to have too much time on your hands anyway. And I don't remember I've "shilled" Vault Dweller anywhere, there is a difference between a game and developer. I also haven't shilled for Dungeon Rats because I didn't like such simple game THAT much (rated it 4, although it was more of a 3.5 but in 2016 there was nothing better besides F 1.5 anyway and considering the price it has great value). It just so happens that Age of Decadence has appealed to me perfectly, whether Colony Ship Game will deliver is another matter. Also, being a fanboy of such an obscure game isn't that bad compared to being a fanboy of PoE for example (*cough* Prime Cunta *cough* Crooked Bee *cough*), I prefer to support small teams with fresh ideas than big AA developers who just ride the nostalgia train.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom