Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Describe your dream RPG by combining the setting of one game with the gameplay of another

V_K

Arcane
Wizardry 7 gameplay (but with fewer battles and more puzzles) and a horror/surrealist setting. Basically, a turn-based Legacy: Realms of Terror with a party and large world.
Or a Quest for Glory style game in a Shadowrun setting.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
L. A. Noire + Hammer and Sickle.=Ultimate noir detective game.

That's it really.

Ivan

Arcane
I've always dreamed of an open-world Hitman game with Blood Money's economy system built into it. So, something like Mafia 1 + Hitman: Blood Money.

Wait, this isn't an RPG. I'm drunk

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's no one "dream RPG" since there are many kinds of RPG I tend to find fun. But to put one in place... something as close to PnP setup as possible, rules heavy but in a loose enough way that it doesn't encourage powergaming, with content balanced such that combat and out of combat gameplay opportunities, interactions and reactivity are both given as much room and focus. A player driven narrative flow like in Fallout and Fallout 2. Not a storyfag game, but not really a combatfag either.

A near future (nonmagical) impending/imminent doom semi-political setup, a world almost in chaos with an excplicitly personal storyline for the protagonist that does not involve saving the world or even postponing an inevitable demise, but simply puts a little nobody there to deal with the situation in what ever manner he sees fit.

Anotherone could be otherwise similiar to the above, but with an American civil war setting and a game made in the vein of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Mikeal

Arcane
Planescape with Dark Messiah gameplay:

Now I have to instal DM again, damm. :love:

To be honest something like this was produced in mid 90's. Codex favorite Colin MaBaldie was working on a game called "Planescape PSX", which hero was novice who just joined Harmonium ranks. On hist first mission he found out about conspiracy involving selling weapons to Blood Wars and of course he's the one who have to expose leaders of the plot and stop war from reaching other realities. Here's full interview http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ystation-black-isle-kings-field-from-software.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Setting of Daggerfall combat/gameplay of Might and Magic

Setting of Ultima IV gameplay of Wasteland

Dux

Arcane
I once had a dream of a game set in Middle-Earth with a refined Ultima Online thing going on and it was nice. I could build my own cottage. The game was open-ended and mellow.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Demon's Souls setting with Shin Megami Tensei gameplay

Arcanum setting with ToEE combat or Divinity: Original Sin Combat

An Ivalice game (World of Final Fantasy XII, Tactics and Vagrant Story) with Baldur's Gate gameplay

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
The Matrix using gta engine with Batman combat. As you level up more in the Matrix you begin to believe until you are the One full blown

Like me

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Planescape Torment for the cool setting combined with any crpg with decent combat would be nice. Not very original, i know.
Fallout 1 setting combined with... the same as above.

Or Fallout 1 setting combined with Jagged Alliance 2 for gameplay. As a result: a post-apo crpg in Fallout setting with great tactical combat and some basic strategy elements !

Darklands setting AND gameplay minus rtwp combat combined with good tactical combat aka: Darklands meets Battle Brothers.

Wizardry 7 gameplay (but with fewer battles and more puzzles) and a horror/surrealist setting. Basically, a turn-based Legacy: Realms of Terror with a party and large world.
Or a Quest for Glory style game in a Shadowrun setting.
I'd play that. I mean the Wizardry 7 + Legacy game but QfG in Shadowrun sounds fun too.

Last edited:

Thonius

Arcane
Fallout with silent Storm combat. Or fallout with E5 combat.
Pretty much any RPG with guns must have either SS combat or combat from E5.
Or Inquisitor from Warhammer 40k with actual detective work.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd like to see something like Invisible Inc. in the Shadowrun setting.*

I'd also like to see something like Deus Ex in the Shadworun setting.

Shadowrun is bredy gud setting.

*or rather, take some elements of HBS SRs and mix them with some elements of InvInc.

Xorphitus

Scholar
I don't have just one dream rpg. One of my dream rpgs would combine Everquest with turnbased blobber. Another of my dream rpgs would be Ultima 3 with a tactics style game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom