Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Krivol

Magister
I've heard some good things about NU XCXOM with DLC so I bought XCOM on steam sale and started to play. It's really good, well not even close to original, and cover system is a bit confusing (sometimes enemy behind a tin can and fully visible is marked as covered) but killing E.T.'s is quite fun. Also rape missions (the one with whale...my first rage quit in game) are nicely done.

I know that maps are not procedurally generated and I think that it is possible to know every mission quite good (well, if some map is generated later then it would have some more difficult enemies on it but I think spots would be the same - not sure, I didn't even play it twice), but destroying everything around with rockets is so much fun...

Base building and XCOM partners handling is rather uninspired, but - from the other hand - developing your crew mates (levels, MEC, genetic engineering, new gear) is great.

8/10 and looking forward to the second one.

Villagkouras

Arcane
The first game of 2017 that I played and finished is Detention. It's a 2D horror adventure that invests in atmosphere and not in jump scares.

It's set in Taiwan in the 60's when the country was apparently under martial law. I like horror games/films that inspire from real life events (Pan's Labyrinth, The Babadook). The story takes part in a school.

The game is short, about 3 hours long, suitable for one sitting. It has really easy puzzles apart from 1-2 in the end that might make you think for 5 minutes.

There are some stealthy moments in the game, luckily they are a few before becoming boring.

But the atmosphere is top notch. It's not scary, but it's kinda disturbing. Nice graphics and sound, good plot overall, it is a solid 7/10.

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Was chatting with a coworker yesterday about the old CnC games & found out today that there's an unofficial patch for Tiberian Sun (my favourite of the lot.)

Man, this game is still a fucking beauty. Runs like a dream, looks good in a slightly higher resolution and still relatively tough on normal.

Plus dat moody atmosphere & soundtrack. :salute:

gaussgunner

Arcane
Was chatting with a coworker yesterday about the old CnC games & found out today that there's an unofficial patch for Tiberian Sun (my favourite of the lot.)

Yeah, RTS games didn't always suck ass. I still think Dune 2 was the best and purest, but CnC had some fun gratuitous effects 'n' shit, like the laser towers. nnnnnnnnnNNNNNNNN brrrrZAP aiieeeee I'm on fire!

Also reminds me of another favorite, GTA 1... another pure 2D violence 'n' gore free-for-all, unencumbered by genre-crossing bullshit.

ortucis

Prophet
7 Days to Die.

Used to think it was meh, but started watching Lets Play videos, I love watching them for this game. Then I bought it on this Steam Sale and have spend 74 hrs in-game already. Though I do think I've squeezed all I can out of the gameplay until they update and add more features.

But yeah, fun game.

The Decline

Arcane
Embracing my inner mechafag, I've been playing the english language asia version of the latest Super Robot Wars game. Not a bad translation, bit of engrish here and there, but nothing that hurts it too much. All the new characters and mechs are a bit overwhelming since the last one I played was three games ago.

Apparently this part of a series of games that Namco Bandai are releasing english versions of in asia. Possibly to get around dealing with licenses and crap in the US.

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I have been playing Ark Survival Evolved.

Fun in a group. Don't bother with public servers or prepare to get ganked by megatribes in PvP and the world is covered in player built shit on pub PvE servers.

Private server with buds or play single player for the real deal.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Demonicon

My father accused my character of wanting to bed my sister. My sister kisses my character, probably wants to bed him. I enter a brothel and cleanse it from the current owner that is using revived girls for his clientele to bang. I talk myself into co-ownership of said brothel. My character did this to get dirt on the man his sister is forced to marry, but all my character and sister want to do is snuggle. To be continued...

That's what I have been doing.
angela-merkel-has-majority-in-bundestag_o_2235057.jpg

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Demonicon

My father accused my character of wanting to bed my sister. My sister kisses my character, probably wants to bed him. I enter a brothel and cleanse it from the current owner that is using revived girls for his clientele to bang. I talk myself into co-ownership of said brothel. My character did this to get dirt on the man his sister is forced to marry, but all my character and sister want to do is snuggle. To be continued...

How's the combat and shit? Any exploration worth speaking of? Can the character even jump?

Bastard Bonds. It's what some would call a tactical RPG. I'm still in the first hours and I'm liking it. You're basically some chump that gets accused of something; you get to pick the felony and whether you're guilty or not, and off to the penal colony you go. The felony and guilt determine the NPC that breaks you out of jail. On my first character (a confessed heretic) I got a rogue to break me out of jail, which kind of blew as he was made of paper and I didn't make it out of the prison.

My second character is a chap-wearing dude called Sodom (guess what he's guilty of). Got a better NPC this time, and I'm happily recruiting a band of murderous sodomites... should have called him Lord Humongous. So far the game's been tactical with some conversations; time will tell how much of an RPG is this tactical game (there are hints of C&C in the achievements).

The system is that you get one action per round, except that you can "rush" your actions to get more than one per round at the cost of an increasing failure rate per additional action. If you fail one of these actions, you will receive extra damage on the next attack against the failing character. The enemies can do the same thing, of course. Sort of a game of chicken, if you will.

Sort of a game of soggy biscuit for my second character.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I got Mass Effect 2 now that it was for free. I've only ever played the first game, although as a Codexer I naturally know everything there is to know about the story already.

The gameplay is atrocious. The first ME wasn't great or anything, but the sequel doesn't seem to offer anything aside from sitting behind cover and using cooldown powers (I'm playing an Infiltrator). It's immensely boring. Both (?) of the hacking minigames wore out their welcome after one or two tries, but fortunately they don't seem to be that common. The control scheme is also totally fucked-up. Sprint, use, jump and cover all using the same key? Mouse sensitivity only having a low/medium/high setting? I know it's a console game, but this is inexcusable even for nu-BioWare. One change I do like is that weapons now use clips and are more distinct than before.

I'm not sure if the writing is bad on purpose or by accident. A lot of it is alright and gets the job done, but there's also some hilariously awful stuff, especially when you use the Renegade options i.e. the only way to play this game. My favorite so far has probably been getting a discount at a store by announcing "hey, this guy discriminates against the poor!" with a really loud voice. Combine this with the Renegade interrupts and you really have no idea what your character is doing most of the time, but it's pretty entertaining nonetheless. You've also got to love it how being a "Renegade" involves complaining like a little bitch about everything and acting like an asshole towards everyone for no good reason. Gotta keep picking those dialogue options, though, because "neutral" characters that make actual decisions instead of always blindly clicking on either the top right or the bottom right option are the worst off. So far I've tried to mix it up a little bit when appropriate instead of powergaming this totally nonsensical system.

The best thing about the entire series has got to be Jennifer Hale. Even when she's given terrible lines with lackluster direction, she makes it work somehow, delivering her lines with conviction and rarely overdoing it. The aforementioned direction does leave something to be desired, as she might change her tone from total hard-ass to flirty and back within the spam of a minute, but then again, this occasionally schizophrenic nature of the conversations does lead to some entertainment. Having a relaxed conversation with someone and then pulling a gun on them out of nowhere never gets old.

The quests I've done so far haven't exactly been unforgettable masterpieces. There's a quest where you hear a Krogan talk about how he'd like to eat fish. You're prompted to find another guy that can tell if there's fish in the area, and he says no. You then have the option of either going to the Krogan you haven't even talked to and telling him there's no fish, or you can go to a gift shop, buy a fake fish and sell it to the Krogan for less money than you initially bought it for in order to get those sweet Renegade points. Is this a joke? If it is, I don't get it. Another quest is a nail-biting whodunnit with an extremely satisfying "no, the guy was never robbed, he simply forgot his credit card here at the counter" conclusion. But I guess these small non-combat quests have never been a strength of the series.

All in all it's been pretty entertaining so far. A decent combat system with a crouch button would do wonders, but thankfully the game's pacing seems tight enough that combat hasn't become a chore yet.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Demonicon

How's the combat and shit? Any exploration worth speaking of? Can the character even jump?
It's quite shit, to be completely honest. Attack a few times, roll, attack a few times, roll and so on. Use spells and abilities every now and then. I'm still not that far, but the exploring isn't that great. First dungeon was linear with some sideways for loot, herbs and shit. You need the proper skills and stuff. You can only speak with people involved with your quests and anything that is possible to interact with is clearly marked.

It wasn't quite what I had expected, but I'm going to stick with it just to see what the hell will happen in the story.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
New Vegas modded
Kotor 2 with TSLCRM
Tie Fighter collectors the 1995 version
Rome Total War with darthmod

:obviously:

thesoup

Arcane
I got Mass Effect 2 now that it was for free. I've only ever played the first game, although as a Codexer I naturally know everything there is to know about the story already.

The gameplay is atrocious. The first ME wasn't great or anything, but the sequel doesn't seem to offer anything aside from sitting behind cover and using cooldown powers (I'm playing an Infiltrator). It's immensely boring. Both (?) of the hacking minigames wore out their welcome after one or two tries, but fortunately they don't seem to be that common. The control scheme is also totally fucked-up. Sprint, use, jump and cover all using the same key? Mouse sensitivity only having a low/medium/high setting? I know it's a console game, but this is inexcusable even for nu-BioWare. One change I do like is that weapons now use clips and are more distinct than before.

I'm not sure if the writing is bad on purpose or by accident. A lot of it is alright and gets the job done, but there's also some hilariously awful stuff, especially when you use the Renegade options i.e. the only way to play this game. My favorite so far has probably been getting a discount at a store by announcing "hey, this guy discriminates against the poor!" with a really loud voice. Combine this with the Renegade interrupts and you really have no idea what your character is doing most of the time, but it's pretty entertaining nonetheless. You've also got to love it how being a "Renegade" involves complaining like a little bitch about everything and acting like an asshole towards everyone for no good reason. Gotta keep picking those dialogue options, though, because "neutral" characters that make actual decisions instead of always blindly clicking on either the top right or the bottom right option are the worst off. So far I've tried to mix it up a little bit when appropriate instead of powergaming this totally nonsensical system.

The best thing about the entire series has got to be Jennifer Hale. Even when she's given terrible lines with lackluster direction, she makes it work somehow, delivering her lines with conviction and rarely overdoing it. The aforementioned direction does leave something to be desired, as she might change her tone from total hard-ass to flirty and back within the spam of a minute, but then again, this occasionally schizophrenic nature of the conversations does lead to some entertainment. Having a relaxed conversation with someone and then pulling a gun on them out of nowhere never gets old.

The quests I've done so far haven't exactly been unforgettable masterpieces. There's a quest where you hear a Krogan talk about how he'd like to eat fish. You're prompted to find another guy that can tell if there's fish in the area, and he says no. You then have the option of either going to the Krogan you haven't even talked to and telling him there's no fish, or you can go to a gift shop, buy a fake fish and sell it to the Krogan for less money than you initially bought it for in order to get those sweet Renegade points. Is this a joke? If it is, I don't get it. Another quest is a nail-biting whodunnit with an extremely satisfying "no, the guy was never robbed, he simply forgot his credit card here at the counter" conclusion. But I guess these small non-combat quests have never been a strength of the series.

All in all it's been pretty entertaining so far. A decent combat system with a crouch button would do wonders, but thankfully the game's pacing seems tight enough that combat hasn't become a chore yet.
Kill yourself. For playing this turd and for playing as female shepard.

Naraya

Arcane
Mass Effect had a great story and I didn't mind the gameplay. Atmosphere was great (e.g. Moon base mission) and Mako was OK.
Mass Effect 2 had a good story but gameplay went bad towards a shooter with cover mechanics being the main point.
I didn't play Mass Effect 3 - not because of the ending but just because I wasn't interested in another iteration of the same.

thesoup

Arcane
Mass effect had a boring story which followed the same layout like all their previous games with the same companions like in previous games.
ME2's story was just standard bioware retarded.

Why do storyfags have no standards whatsoever when it comes to stories?

tormund

Arcane
Kill yourself. For playing this turd and for playing as female shepard.
Tryhard codexer is tryhard... Neither do we of the Codex consider ME to be bad, nor is playing as female PC shameful. She's just better acted and far more fun, I can't help if you are so insecure that you are unable to play as character of opposite sex.
emoji52.png

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Currently mucking about in Infinite Space III: Sea of Stars.

I really don't know what to make of this game. On one hand it has all the bells and whistles of its prequels, and does add a few new things. But on the other...the interface is worse, the map will take some getting used to, the combat is TERRIBLE and except for a handful of new events it's a warmed-over version of the prequels.

If you've played the other games this is not worth the money. Newcomers will find more entertainment here... but will be surprised at the absolute lack of support for the game. There isn't even a wiki for the game!

This one is dead in the water, I'd rather recommend Return to Infinite Space + the Even Weirder Worlds mod.

(And for some bizarre reason there's a Bernie Sanders achievement in this game.)

This game makes Admiral Jimbob sad, and that disappoints me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom