Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline New King's Quest game - MASSIVE DECLINE Everything is shit

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Irenaeus is just a wandering dumbfuck, spend your time discussing things on people who are actually here to discuss topics. Just FYI.

Was gonna say the same thing myself.

Boleskine

Arcane
GDC 2016: King’s Quest - Chapter 3 preview

Before any wooing can even take place, Graham needs to get into that tower. A sequence where he climbs the tower by judging which footholds will hold his weight is similar to earlier puzzles that had him crossing chasms by jumping on the correct rocks. Korba confirmed that they’ve discontinued the inclusion of QTEs as a result of player feedback, but the developers would still prefer to give players something active to do during sequences like this, instead of a straight cutscene. A few deaths later (accompanied by the requisite bad puns from Grandpa Graham), he reaches the top of the tower and, with a variation of Sierra’s “Girl in the Tower” theme swelling in the background, comes face to face with his one true love.
The Odd Gentlemen have been paying attention to players’ feedback—while some liked Chapter 2’s increased difficulty and more serious tone, others felt it was too hard and too dark compared to the first—but the third episode’s lighter tone isn’t a direct result of this. All along, they’ve planned to explore a different sort of gameplay with each chapter, similar to how Sierra tried new experiments with each installment of the original series back in the day. “I think people aren’t used to that from an episodic game. We’re trying to do something a little different,” Korba said.

Jackalope

Arcane
Just one problem: there are two girls in the tower, and Graham doesn’t know which princess the magic mirror sent him to save.

“It’s kind of like an episode of How I Met Your Mother,” Korba explained.

Korba characterizes Once Upon a Climb as something else entirely: a romantic comedy. “It’s a style I haven’t seen in games too much—you see Japanese dating simulators or Mass Effect where you’re trying to sleep with everyone on the ship, but nothing that focuses on the awkwardness or the comedy [of romance].

:backawayslowly:

Unwanted

Irenaeus III

Unwanted
Shitposter
Like I said earlier, reading what Jackalope quoted, they seem terribly-intentioned and a bit dumb.

King's Quest was always (6 is the last good game) inspired by classical fairy tales and other folk story. Using Hebrewwood 'romantic comedies' and the shitty 'How I Met Your Mother' beta cuck show from the Eletrical Jew only points to their shallowness and disregard for their source material.

tl;dr Into the ovens it goes

I don't think they had bad intentions. They just tried too hard to make it what they thought would be passable elements of a KQ game: Cutesy, family friendly.
They're operating on an outdated model, where a game needs Hi Res 3D and a superstar voice cast to sell. People don't care about that anymore. Retro is in given the success of Undertale or Fran Bow. Actually, KQ, if marketed right, would do incredibly well with today's retro obsessed Millenial and Generation Z audience with just AGI graphics and an 8-bit classic soundtrack. Look at Undertale. That game has captured a generation without a single polygon or even voice acting. People want something 'old school'. The Odd Gentleman/Activision is working on a more early 2000s model of what makes a hit game.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is, like, the first bit of promotional material I've seen for this. Odd considering it's coming out on April 26th.

I bought the whole thing before it came out, so I'm stuck with all of these, but I haven't played beyond chapter 1 yet.

Bt

Okay, this is officially the worst game I have ever played.

"Well, aren't you the hotcake?" Valanice says to Graham
"I was waffling with it for a while, before I got the pancakes to taste right."
"The thin ones always crepe me out" Valanice replies
"I almost gave up when the whole operation went toast!" Graham says
"Sometimes you just have to keep trying until you pancake it anymore" Valanice retorts
"I have never been more in love with you than I am in this very moment." Graham replies.

some of Chapter 3's ending dialogue

Jackalope

Arcane
Just finished the episode.
There are no real puzzles. sliding puzzles and QTEs are not puzzles. Putting stuff on shelves and jumping on rocks are not puzzles. I like a couple of elements storywise, but the episode really felt incomplete and rushed. The writing feels very uneven, sometimes its the worst, sometimes it's actually ok. One moment I actually liked a lot. Overall, it's nothing special though...

I do like some of the things they did with the villains. I like their twist on Hagatha's story. I like what they are doing with Manannan and Mordack. Also, we saw the origin of Queen Icebella.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Episode 1 free on Steam right now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/345390

Witness the decline firsthand.

I somehow managed to avoid playing any QTEs since The Wolf Among Us back in 2013. I hadn't really appreciated what kind of a blessing that was until I encountered them again today. Actually, the game is quite boring; I'm 46 minutes in and I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get to the end. Maybe I'm too old for adventure games.

Last edited:

Parsifarka

Arcane
I somehow managed to avoid playing any QTEs since The Wolf Among Us back in 2013. I hadn't really appreciated what kind of a blessing that was until I encountered them again today. Actually, the game is quite boring; I'm 46 minutes in and I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get to the end. Maybe I'm too old for adventure games shit.
QTEadventure games

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Are new episodes still coming out ?
That must be hard... creating new content for a game nobody cares about.

Jackalope

Arcane
Even "$ierra" doesn't give a crap. They didn't even bother to add chapter 3 on the official webside, it just says "coming soon". And chapter 3 has s been out for months...

I guess I kinda care about this game. Kinda. Well, barely. I'm just curious. I've read something about August, but it was from an unofficial page, so it's probably anyone's guess.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
telltale really killed any hopes for big budget / semi big budget adventure game. we can only hope from indies like wadjet eye, wormwood, daedalic and KINGart games.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Killed? They carved a market for themselves. Which big budget adventure games existed before them? They had mostly died after Grim Fandango & King Quest VIII.

If anything, this Nu-KQ is nothing but Activision's attempt to copy Telltale.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Killed? They carved a market for themselves. Which big budget adventure games existed before them? They had mostly died after Grim Fandango & King Quest VIII.

If anything, this Nu-KQ is nothing but Activision's attempt to copy Telltale.
Which is what he said.

Boleskine

Arcane
It seemed last year that Activision wanted the revitalized corpse of Sierra to be their own in-house indie game publishing label. Either I'm a dumbass for thinking that or Activision stopped caring about indie money when KQ flopped.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom