Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
raw votes - [potential] - (after flops)
Potential votes (aka total number of votes for the option including secondary choices) exist purely to determine the leaders. Sometimes a tertiary option that lags behind is actually the one most voters agree on.

And yes, it looks like A is leading by 2 votes for now.

Jester

Arbiter
I don't want to appear whiny, but... shouldn't Erdrick communicate his desires to his second-in-command?
Easy there boy. Easy.

It oblivious Lucy should be our 2nd in command. We just need to get her a proper translation spell, so she can order idiots.

... funniest thing is that I am not actually joking.

Oh right happy new year soon.

Nevill

Arcane
Not fair. I proposed it first! :argh::argh::argh:
Yeah, promoting Lucy to our second-in-command would be a nice twist to the story.
I have not completely abandoned hope for Arlin yet.

Rereading our discussion with Baltika, I now feel bad for making light of his concerns.
treave, is it possible to make a spell that increases common sense? Or is Pavlovian conditioning with mini-gigadynes the only hope for Rin?
Rin with common sense is like tame Aria. Boring and stale. :M
Alright, fine, she's a demon, so that may have been a decent assumption for her to make. How does she kill her target, without a knife even? I'm not angry.
I'm disappointed.
She is a klutz - this isn't anything new. The more mistakes she makes, the faster she'll learn. And the less smug she will be. Hopefully.
How many times more will she fuck up? This was funny the first two times, now she's going into 'really?' territory.
As long as her fuck-ups could be mitigated or fixed, it's a great comic relief. Now, when she gets Grahferde burned to the ground or accidentally decapitates Zayan - now that would be a legitimate gripe. Right now it's all harmless fun.

I assume it is harmless. :M
I'm saying what for all of its entertainment value, this stuff needs to stop or at least get toned down. We're on the precipice of a clusterfuck right now. Which is no big deal for me, I don't care about Methuss, but Rin can screw us over big time in the future if this keeps up.
Did I get a laugh out of the absurdity of the situation? Absolutely. But we have to get her under control.
I am starting to get disappointed with Rin too, and I was - am - one of her most ardent supporters. I thought it will get better if her failures knock her down a peg, but it does not appear she is willing to learn from them.

Eh, at least we got something positive out of her involvement this time. Will have to see how she carries herself with Fortunio.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
I'm dropping in to wish all of you bros a Happy New Year. Especially you, treave. It has been about three and a half years since the beginning of EPIC and you've only kept improving your CYOAs since then. I appreciate all of the effort you put into this for the sake of us spoiled, ungrateful cunts your dedicated and thankful players.
Rereading our discussion with Baltika, I now feel bad for making light of his concerns.
Just you wait, it will turn out that I was right about embracing our inner Carnage Pigeon, too. The crazy dude in the back is oftentimes right.
What began as an Athenian Democracy, shall end in Demagoguery. Nevill is our Demosthenes, and Baltika is the crazy dude in the back.

Tigranes

Arcane
And Esquilax was our Perikles, now in exile...

I've been reading all the updates, but just haven't been around to read all the DISCUSS! so felt bad voting.

BA, though A1 & C2 are also OK with me. Without thinking too hard about it:
  • We abducted this girl and fucked her over, so we might as well see if we can finish the job and learn some useful new skill in the process, whether magical or medical. I think regenerating eyes may work better than taking an unwilling subject and trying to go through a process that they will need to work towards as much as we do.
  • We'll look like an idiot if we promise the governor in flowery words and then it turns out we made her worse. At least if we threaten him or make it a polite blackmail, we can always try and pretend that the girl ended up with no eyes and lifelong trauma because we are OVERLORD and we won't be fucked with. Finally, given our previous interactions, I think the governor possesses no Bai Jiutian-style anger against us, at least not yet, and we don't really have to goad him.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Erdrick is the one calling the shots, and while she has her own opinions, she defers to his judgement whenever he is around.

By her own choice. That can change. She's not obliged to do anything beyond guarding you.

The goblins recognize us as their deity. The twins acknowledge us as their savior and mentor. Fortunio, Zayan and Lucy work for us. So, yes, she is our second-in-command, because on her own, she has nothing and doesn't command anything. Without us, she is a nobody - a princess of a kingdom that is no longer there, of the people that were left light years away, with no one to recognize her as such and nothing to show for her name - the only thing she has left from what she was is her father's legacy, and even that we 'own'.

That last thing can shoot up in priority very quickly if you throw your weight around too much.

I recognize her as an equal in ability and in standing (a partner rather than a subordinate), but I can't help but notice that we are irreplaceable to our new 'organization', while she isn't.

Because it's your organization. She's just hanging out here. She doesn't see herself as a part of your organization either, but separate from it.

Well, we'll see what she thinks of this when roving machete adventure parties come to Grahferde's vicinity - something that she might have contributed to.

That's all Erdrick. You know, choosing to go flashy and nuke the minotaur? Don't go about shifting blame now.

I don't know, but me and a few of the 'Dexers certainly did wince at her denseness. Erdrick goes out of his way not to harm women, going even as far as to bring Wist to the temple. If he isn't upset, or at least annoyed at her picking the 'wrong' target (one of his first questions was 'what about his companions?'), I'd have to wonder why.

Because he doesn't care a lot for intangible women that he's never met. He is fickle, capricious and selfish. As established by his decision in the prologue. He'll do his best in person but once they're not around he tends to cool off, being the slacker that he is. Of course, he'd never admit to that.

I am not protesting that. I am wondering about the lack of proper feedback with our most able commander. Did she understand why it was not perfect? Or does Erdrick simply not care enough to improve her performance?

As far as he's concerned, if he wants something to be done perfectly he has to do it himself. That applies to all the others, like Aria or Arlin: he doesn't have high expectations of anyone. He's an ex-Chosen One. Other people messing up only validates his own ego, and he expects them to mess up and for him to have to bail them out. The conditioning didn't take fully thanks to the background choices but what of it is there is hard to break.

I am more annoyed at that absolutely no conclusions have been made. It was just swept under the rug - and not that I want to dig it out, I'd be perfectly fine treating it as a 'let us never speak of it again', but it continues to happen.

It hasn't continued to happen. Or is she somehow responsible for slaughtering the dryads, messing up all your plans for them?

I am trying my hardest not to blame her, but it doesn't mean I want to pretend that there is no issue here.

There is no issue. Teething problems are to be expected. You've barely been working together for a few months anyway.

Nevill

Arcane
Eh. I don't know if there is a point in delving any further into this.

Her operating on bizarro logic that only exists in her head is what is continuing to happen, and there appears to be not a lot of interest in reality checks from either side. People don't want her coming near Ellen's pod already, out of fear she will mess something up, and I don't know how much of it is in jest. As for me, I am beginning to want her out of any of our plans that require anything apart from brutal force, unless we absolutely, absolutely have to include her.

So far she has been more of a liability than an asset. She doesn't 'feel obliged' to be one? Great. She can do whatever the hell she wants, then, as long as she stays out of our way.

Meh. Tag-alongs. :M

I suppose beggars can't be choosers. We could really use more staff. Zayan is mad, twins are barely 15, goblins are braindead, slimes have an intelligence of a human toddler, and the dryad is a sapling. Even Talan-Theseus looks attractive at this point.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Eh. I don't know if there is a point in delving any further into this.

There is no point delving further into this because you can't get past the single mistake she made in Yuiria. :M

Whatever else I say is pointless.

Nevill

Arcane
It was her third one. :M

And instead of admitting it, she said it plainly that she didn't feel obligated to ask us about our opinion. I don't know how it appears to you, but to me it sounds like: 'So what? You can't tell me what to do! I'll do this the fourth time if I feel like it!' Granted, that is more of a product of her personality than actual intent, but how many people do you think would be willing to put it to the test after that?

She is established as a walking catastrophe, and her vanity and conceit rival that of Erdrick's, except unlike him, she doesn't show us much in the way of results to justify it. Not yet, anyway. Of her ability to learn we know that she had the best torture teacher one could have, and we still can't trust her with an interrogation. Of her other talents - besides the EX one for accidental murder - we know nothing.

And no, don't pin being unable to get past that mistake on me. I can let bygones be bygones. You don't see me harping on Aria and Lucy for their part in this. Mainly because they don't have a history of failures and because they hopefully have learned their lesson. And a bit because they are not trying to blame us for not cleaning up their mess and do not demand respect they didn't really earn.

I guess that's not all Rin is, and that character development is a thing, and there is a diamond in the rough in there somewhere, but she keeps it hidden well. It's not like we can afford to ditch her, anyway, so we'll be seeing what she is like whether we want to or not.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Of her ability to learn we know that she had the best torture teacher one could have, and we still can't trust her with an interrogation.

We know that our base was the ancestral home of the primal Dark Overlord, Rin's ancestor, so she knows moe about this world than we do, then completely by 'accident' she eliminated a very useful source of information.
Just a coincidence.

Kipeci

Arcane
How did she eliminate any information aside from what was in the mind of the bimbos? She's the only reason we know anything at all about the text that was on the ruins before we nuked them to establish dominance.

Nevill

Arcane
then completely by 'accident' she eliminated a very useful source of information.
Um. That's on us and Gigadyne. Those ruins could have been useful.

Ancestral home means little if you weren't born then yet.

lightbane

Arcane
:avatard:
Lots of butthurt and paranoia in this thread. Nevill, I believe you're exaggerating your hostility towards our pretty princess. You yourself said that she was (and still is) a teenager who lived a sheltered life with no responsabilities and barely anything to do except fighting and killing humans. Moreover, her only connection to her own world is what originally was her enemy, the ex-Hero technically responsible for killing her father. Worse, as you said, she realized that she has nothing to call hers and is quite clumsy compared with Erd, who regardless of her opinion actually gets shit done and, whenever she tries to do something, she does it wrong in one way or another.

No wonder she has such inferiority complex. However, the important part is that she still tries to improve and is more or less doing so. She did the dryad expedition by herself instead of remaining at Grahferde and brooding about her uselessness. Granted, she mistakenly killed these women, but it's a small step in the right direction. Even better: treave confirmed that had we left the prisoner with Rin, she would not unnecessarily kill him unlike the previous cases.

She's still guilty about what she did back at Yuria yes, but even then she did what she believed to be the right thing. One should not confuse evil with incompetence/stupidity. In addition, she's a demon who until now considered humans to be little better than cattle, so it will take a while until her callousness and eagerness to kill/mutilate them cools down.

I'll withhold further judgements until she comes back and reports what happened with Fortunio and co, the children should be able to keep her temperament in check. Lastly, I'm sure even Rin knows better than to get in the way of a mad scientist and her latest experiment, lest she ends up replacing the latter. Therefore, when she realizes that Erdrick is hard at work with Eileen's restoration (something quite unprecedented for someone she considers a "lazy pervert slime"), she'll be too busy processing what she's seeing to do anything about it.

However, perhaps it would be better if treave gave us an "affection meter" for each of our companions. It would clear many doubts and misunderstandings we have about our comrades.

As far as he's concerned, if he wants something to be done perfectly he has to do it himself. That applies to all the others, like Aria or Arlin: he doesn't have high expectations of anyone. He's an ex-Chosen One. Other people messing up only validates his own ego, and he expects them to mess up and for him to have to bail them out.

Technically that's still true because he's our avatar and therefore the main character of this game, but I suppose OOC knowledge doesn't count.
:M

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Rin is waifu number 1. It is her prerogative to slaughter the others as she sees fit. We sold the world for her, remember? A few additional lives on top of that are nothing.

Nevill

Arcane
Nevill, I believe you're exaggerating your hostility towards our pretty princess.
A little, yes. It is mostly the disappointment speaking. I thought after we extracted a shard of Athos out of her ass it would make her less smug and insufferable, and more careful. But the lesson didn't stick.

I still like her somewhat, it's just that I see a lot of wasted potential in her that Erdtick isn't interested in tapping for whatever reason.

It doesn't help that I fooled myself into thinking that this was our joint enterprise, seeing her name among our companions and how readily she accepts worship from our gobbos. I thought it was because she considered our achievements her achievements as well. But it turns out she thinks herself an outsider to the whole thing and doesn't really care much for its success or failure, just for the oath she gave. That explains a lot of things... and adjusts a lot of expectations towards the lower end.

She did the dryad expedition by herself instead of remaining at Grahferde and brooding about her uselessness.
To be completely fair, while it was better than doing nothing, she botched the mission. If Erdrick went there, I think things could have been much more different. Either the attack would have been repelled, or the remaining dryad saved instead of a mere sapling, or the whole party captured with their spellbooks intact, but we would have performed better.

There is only so much you can do by LARPing Jason.

I know this was a choice of 'do one mission, fail the other' (if we went to the dryads, Kek's slimes would've infested the forest), but she has a long way to go before she attains a level of Erdrick's competense, and that is not a high bar to clear. :lol:

She's still guilty about what she did back at Yuria yes, but even then she did what she believed to be the right thing. One should not confuse evil with incompetence/stupidity.
That's great, but that's my peeve exactly. I want her to stop believing that going AWOL in the middle of combat or crashing a boat with us on it is the right thing. Hell, does she believe we would be unable to capture a prisoner for ourselves if we wanted to? Why did she even think we would ever need her help with this? Even if we throw away common sense of doing so in the middle of the city as a tool of patriarchy filthy humans, the reasoning is internally inconsistent with her own bizarro logic. In other words, she is bonkers - and not in a good sense of the word. And I don't want 'believing' whatever delusions she has to become an acceptable excuse.

Oh, and Rin is the poster girl of 'never attribute to malice'.

I'll withhold further judgements until she comes back and reports what happened with Fortunio and co, the children should be able to keep her temperament in check.
Yeah, yeah. I guess the only way to limit the damage she does for now is to chain Arlin to her, since Erdrick isn't going to address the mess that's in her head.

Professions to train Arlin in: administrator, diplomat, psychiatrist. :salute:

However, perhaps it would be better if treave gave us an "affection meter" for each of our companions. It would clear many doubts and misunderstandings we have about our comrades.
What does that have to do with anything? It is clear as day she doesn't do it on purpose, but that's not the problem.

We sold the world for her, remember? A few additional lives on top of that are nothing.
We sold the world to eventually inherit it, remember? One does not damage his own merchandise like that. :M

Although in Rin's case, it would be a small wonder if the world just remained intact.

But I am with Erdrick on this one, characters without backstory and the ones we do not personally interact with don't do much for me. Our mook kill count is already approaching a hundred.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

We sold the world to eventually inherit it, remember? One does not damage his own merchandise like that.
lol, inherit the world? We turned down his offer of half the world. All we asked was his daughter's hand - not a guarantee that we would have any control of the world. Although marrying into royalty was a nice bonus, our primary goal was related to spheres far more wobbly than the world. :M
“I would rather have your daughter instead,” you say, half in jest. Surely he would not agree. But if he did, you would consider the offer rather seriously. It would be as good as marrying into royalty. Sure, there was that little issue of possibly becoming the greatest traitor the human race has ever known, and betraying all that your comrades have died for, but would it not be easier to change the world by showing them that: yes, demons and humans can coexist?

That would be a nicely noble excuse to give everyone later on, you think to yourself in satisfaction. The perfect excuse for you to get your hands on those perfect spheres of magnificent wobbling.

Nevill

Arcane
We turned down his offer of half the world.
We are a merchant. Turning down half of the world to get it whole later is the kind of deal we live and die by. Literally so. :M

And the princess was the direct heir to her father, so...

It certainly had place in my reasoning. Totally wasn't interested in sphere diplomacy. Kyle was a better fit for us anyway. :M:M

Elfberserker

Liturgist
I don't really mind that Rin messed up some things, especially when we ourselves have fucked up couple of things. The thing is that Rin is young and very combat oriented individual at expense of other skills.
She is like level 1 in torture,diplomacy and other skills, but her combat skills are one of the best in the world.

Everyone makes fuck ups in areas where they don't have lot skills,experience, talent or personality and we have seen her fail in areas that she isn't really a expert.
Yes, she got possessed with athos, but we don't know how tough that fight was excepct that she tanked a lot for us.

Personally I like that she takes initiave even, if she fucks up. She got us a dryad sapling and information after her fuck up with wisteria.
Besides lets be honest with those mercanary women. We really didn't have a chance with them since they were in love with harem mercenary guy and if we personally tried to get those women, we would failed like harem villain 1290#.
I would go so far that Rin even did us favor, so those woman couldn't sabotage our operations while we would useless try to turn those womans to dark side.

Anyway, enought of my ramblings.
Happy new year everyone around here and especially to Treave for delicious CYOA.

lightbane

Arcane
It doesn't help that I fooled myself into thinking that this was our joint enterprise, seeing her name among our companions and how readily she accepts worship from our gobbos. I thought it was because she considered our achievements her achievements as well. But it turns out she thinks herself an outsider to the whole thing and doesn't really care much for its success or failure, just for the oath she gave. That explains a lot of things... and adjusts a lot of expectations towards the lower end.

Just give it time. Once her crushing loneliness and need for approval become unbearable, she'll start becoming more active and eager to listen to Erd. The Stockholm syndriome familiarity principle ensures she'll get more comfortable with Erd's presence and thus more open to cooperation as time passes (provided we maintain a resemblance of civility with her). Of course, it won't happen anytime soon, we'll have to wait until at least several ingame years pass for that to happen.

I know this was a choice of 'do one mission, fail the other' (if we went to the dryads, Kek's slimes would've infested the forest), but she has a long way to go before she attains a level of Erdrick's competense, and that is not a high bar to clear.

Well, it was clear we couldn't do all of them at once and yet she half-succeeded. Yes, had we gone in person, surely we would have been able to save the dryads and such, but that's because Erdrick is the main character. We have way more potential to perform well (or fuck up everything) more than anyone else. That's a level of competence that's not really easy to achieve, you know.

Yeah, yeah. I guess the only way to limit the damage she does for now is to chain Arlin to her, since Erdrick isn't going to address the mess that's in her head. Professions to train Arlin in: administrator, diplomat, psychiatrist.

Unfortunately, it is a common anime/jrpg trope that the entire cast suffers from some kind of mental issue or two. :lol: And it's not like Erd himself was spared from this terrible fate. His "heroic training" wasn't a walk in the park, to say (he should be considered lucky that his family never died and was even kind to him :lol:). Besides, considering how vocal everyone is about their disfunctionalities, that makes Arlin quite suspicious. He can't be the only sane man in the party, right?

Nevill

Arcane
Just give it time. Once her crushing loneliness and need for approval become unbearable, she'll start becoming more active and eager to listen to Erd. The Stockholm syndriome familiarity principle ensures she'll get more comfortable with Erd's presence and thus more open to cooperation as time passes (provided we maintain a resemblance of civility with her). Of course, it won't happen anytime soon, we'll have to wait until at least several ingame years pass for that to happen.
Now you are just restating my own arguments from earlier. :roll:

I don't really hate her, but I find myself frustrated at the level of cooperation among our companions. No one gives a damn about anyone. Erdrick can't be bothered with correction work and raising the kids up, Zayan would be delighted to eviscerate everyone for science, and Rin's ego - which is unproportionally large in relation to her skills - prevents her from being a productive member of the team. It's like a classic bunch of misfits.

It might sound funny, considering the thread title and our character, but I expected our team to be a bit more close-knit. We don't have much else to work with.

We have way more potential to perform well (or fuck up everything) more than anyone else. That's a level of competence that's not really easy to achieve, you know.
Rin has the ability to perform on our level, or even better, considering how driven she is compared to our slacker attitude. That's what pisses me off when I look at her stumbling all over the place and Erdrick just shrugs it off.

And it's not like Erd himself was spared from this terrible fate. His "heroic training" wasn't a walk in the park, to say (he should be considered lucky that his family never died and was even kind to him :lol:).
I know that we are the ones who made him that way, but I wonder if his overprotectiveness of women isn't a way to compensate for failing to protect his sister and his would-be lover.

Arlin will have his hands full. :salute:

He can't be the only sane man in the party, right?
We could use a sane man. :negative:

Of course, there is always Lucy...

We really didn't have a chance with them since they were in love with harem mercenary guy and if we personally tried to get those women, we would failed like harem villain 1290#.
If we thought to control Arlin by making his sister our hostage, imagine what we could make out of Amesdan with four of those!

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Bandit’s Daughter

You wake up and yawn, stretching your wings. Then, as usual, you kick Lucy out of your room. For some reason, the cow had started to sneak into your bed at night over the past week. You are still unable to comprehend how an animal so large could move so quietly when she needed to – waking up to the sight of the cow’s big brown eyes staring lovingly at your face had given you quite a shock. It still does, though you are beginning to get used to it. You freshen up, preparing for the long day ahead. It is now the fifth day of Ellen’s regeneration, and the tenth since you began the project. Together with Zayan, you had spent day and night working on the regeneration pod, attempting to ensure the desired result.

Merely regrowing her eyes was easy: as far as you are aware, a person’s physical body is derived from a template laid down at birth – said to be designed by the goddesses, back in your world. That template governs numerous traits such as height and weight and eye colour. Of course, environmental influences could also affect those traits, such as if you cut a child’s legs off at the knees, irreversibly reducing their height, or if you starved them perpetually, decreasing their weight. Regardless, that template is the origin of the body. And so it stood to reason that the aberrations spotted by Zayan were inherent to the template for Ellen’s eyes.

The answer was then simple – you needed to modify the template. But how? That was the hard part. It took the combined genius of both you and Zayan to figure out a way to manipulate the regeneration magic in the pod towards that objective. Indeed, you had not racked your brain so hard in many, many years, not since your groundbreaking magical thesis back in the Academy of Towers. Having your entire self caught up in the pursuit of a new magic that no one had ever attempted… that was quite nostalgic. You had almost forgotten how it felt to chase the unknown, to push the limits of your understanding.

Your effort paid off, partially. It was indeed a monumental breakthrough, but one that would have also gone to waste had Zayan not understood the workings of the human eye well enough to come up with a serviceable modification to Ellen’s template. Even then, she claimed that this was near the limits of her current – considerable – prowess. It was the first time that you saw such humility from that woman.

And so here you are, standing in front of the pod for the tenth day in a row, monitoring the situation. The project should reach completion soon, and as a bonus, your time spent on this research had allowed you to grasp the workings of the Regeneration spell.

There are dark circles under Zayan’s eyes as she mutters something over the readings. The ceaseless work has taken its toll on even her, with her gluttonous capacity for research. “Should be alright. Translation, transcription, all of them check out. The modifications will stick, what is left is to ensure there are no abnormalities in the arrangement of the modifications…”

“Excellent,” you say. “It looks like we are on track to complete this right on schedule.” Throughout the past week, you have gained a newfound respect for Zayan’s prodigious abilities, and she yours. Your proficiency at magical theory was in fact a surprise to her: she had thought that your immense power meant that you brute-forced every magical solution, that you had no capability for finesse. Evidently, she was delighted to revise her initial opinion. On your part, you were no less impressed by her capacity to work miracles.

Unfortunately, those miracles did not extend to restoring your condition. You had brought up the possibility of using template modification to cure yourself one night, but Zayan had shot down the possibility after some careful measurements and observations. Apparently, your physiology is resistant to change not only via toxins and compounds, but also on the template-level. To change it was a feat beyond her capabilities for the moment – it would likely require power on a divine scale to make the desired alterations to your body. You wonder if it would be a good idea to sink so low as to pray for help…

When the regeneration is finally complete, you place the sleeping Ellen in a more comfortable place. Hoping that she will not remember the brief period of lucidity that had led her to try to claw out her eyes, you lift the spell.

Again, there is movement under her eyelids. Again, she slowly opens her eyes, her long eyelashes swaying gently. Again, you see those clear green eyes, staring out at a world that is new to her. You wait, ready to put her under instantly should she show any signs of relapse.

“This is… what is this?” she murmurs softly, raising a hand in front of her. “Is this… is this my hand?” She opens and closes her fist carefully, stretching her fingers. “I can… see my hand?”

You resist the urge to openly rejoice at the successful experiment. Pride wells up in you… not least because you have accomplished something that ‘divine favour’ has not. Instead, you settle for addressing Ellen with a gentle tone. “You are awake. Good.”

Though you had expected her to swivel around towards you, she does not move her head except for a slight cocking to the side. Only after a second does she turn to look at you. “Who are you?” she asks. “What happened? Where am I?” Though her voice is polite, you can sense the restrained eagerness and curiosity trembling underneath. “Am I dead? Are you an angel?”

“I am…” You decide not to give your name. “A friend. I brought you here for treatment. You are in my home. No, you are not dead. And… no, I am not an angel. Why would you think I am one?”

She laughs nervously. “Oh, Nan always told me stories of angels carrying children off to the world of the dead so they could feast upon their bones. I’m… I’m sorry. That was rude of me.” She bows her head in apology. “Wait… your voice… I’ve met you before, haven’t I?”

“Have we?” You smile enigmatically.

“Yes, I’m sure of it. Back in my father’s mansion, some time ago… but have I heard it more recently? I’m sorry, but just how did I end up here?”

It looks like she has forgotten even her abduction. You are not sure whether it is a side-effect of her regeneration or her traumatic sight, but it is not a matter you can or should address at the moment. Leaning back, you explain to her how you have a deal with her father – that part, at least, is true: the message you sent was acknowledged and a deadline given, which you had just barely met – and that you had cured her blindness in return for some favours.

You chat with the governor’s daughter for a while more before taking your leave. “Unfortunately,” you say, “for certain reasons that I am not at liberty to reveal, I must ask you to stay in this room until I bring you to your father.”

“I understand, sir. But won’t you give me your name?”

“You might learn it soon enough,” you say with a smile as you close the door behind you. Then you lock it. It would not do for her to try and run around exploring her new sight. You return to the laboratory, passing by a napping Zayan. On her desk is the glass cylinder in which Ellen’s old eyes float. They interest you, but for now, you need to meet with the ones who have just returned to Grahferde.

When you arrive at the village square, you see about Arlin, Aria and a new girl that you have not seen before, bound with rope. Her brown hair is tied up in two pigtails and she appears to be about the same age as the twins. Her dark eyes dart around angrily as she fidgets, betraying her nervousness. You judge that there is potential in her to grow into a healthy beauty, but for now she must settle for merely being called cute.

“Master!” Upon seeing you, Aria runs over. “We’re back!”

Arlin follows behind at a slower pace, a complex expression on his face. He appears to be pondering something.

You give Aria a pat on the shoulder. “How was it? Was it fun for the both of you?”

“Of course. I got to fight my fair share of bandits,” she grins, giving you a bloodthirsty smile that reminds you of the demon princess. Arlin remains silent.

“Speaking of fighting, where’s that woman?” you ask, noticing that Rin is not around.

“Ah. Mistress Rinnefiela is… quite irritated,” says Aria cautiously. She glances at Arlin.

He nods, and says, “Things didn’t go the way she planned. After she brought us back here, she went off to, ah, ‘release some tension’.”

Just then, there is a muffled rumbling far off in the distance, as if something large had impacted the earth, and the ground under your feet trembles slightly. “I see,” you say quietly, looking in the direction of the noise. “Well, she will be back soon enough. In the meantime, tell me what went on at Fortunio’s place.”

“Hey, you! That sleazy looking idiot over there! You’re the boss?” shouts the girl they had brought back, hopping towards you. “Let me go right now, or my mother will have your head!”

She makes it within striking range of you – though you are not sure how she plans to attack, with a headbutt? – when Arlin intercepts her, darting in between the both of you. The girl crashes into him and is promptly restrained. Holding her tightly, Arlin pushes her away from you. “I’m sorry, Master! Let me handle this!” Turning towards the girl, he whispers urgently, “Tenia, don’t do this. Don’t do anything stupid. He won’t harm you… probably.”

You sigh and beckon to Aria, who is watching them with a slightly amused look on her face. “What is going on here?” you ask.

“Well-“

But before she can explain, the girl, Tenia, shouts out loudly. “I trusted you, you asshole! Then you led that monster to us! Was that why you approached me in the first place?” Arlin flinches, a look of guilt on his face. He seems at even more of a loss when tears begin falling from Tenia’s eyes.

“Ah, I get it,” you say, starting to understand what has happened in Virtue Forest. Out of the corner of your eye, you spot Petze moving towards Arlin and Tenia, her furry cat face scrunched up in concern. It would probably lead to something fun to watch, but you will save that fun for after you get the full picture from Aria. You do not want to be distracted at the moment. You speak up. “Petze?”

“Y-yes, Shining One?” she squeaks, snapping to attention.

“Would you have the goblin matrons prepare some quarters for our new guest here?”

“Yes!” Snapping off a quick bow, she retreats to do your bidding, a slight reluctance in her step.

You return your attentions to Aria. “Arlin snuck into their camp, didn’t he?”

“Yes,” she replies. “You asked us to ensure that Mistress Rinnefiela did not kill off all the women, right? My little brother, as expected, interpreted that order as being to spare as many bandits as we could, and to achieve a diplomatic resolution. After scouting out the camp, he pretended to be a homeless orphan and temporarily joined them in hopes of being able to sway them from the inside. After a week of no results, Mistress Rinnefiela said that he was at risk of being swayed instead and that the whole endeavor was a waste of time. She marched right up to the camp and declared that everyone there could either submit or die.”

“Sounds like her,” you nod. “What do you think, Aria? Was Arlin at risk of turning?”

She glances at her brother, who is still trying to reason with the captured girl. “My little brother can be a bit… naïve. I don’t think he would have betrayed us, but the Mistress was probably right in that his efforts were a waste of time,” she says honestly.

“What happened next? To make Rin irritated… hm, let me guess, she met something she couldn’t kill?”

“You’re exactly right, Master!” exclaimed Aria. “It was going well at first, the men were getting cut down left and right, and the women were being knocked out. Then she reached the bandit’s boss… I think she called herself the Bandit Queen. That girl over there is her daughter, by the way.”

“Was this Bandit Queen that strong?” you ask.

“Yes. She’s quite strong… maybe the second strongest woman I’ve ever seen. The Mistress still knocked her flat with a single blow though. But before she could do anything else, a cloaked person all in black appeared and cast some strange spell. There was this thick white mist that covered all our sight, and when it lifted the Bandit Queen and all her surviving subordinates were gone. Oh, and before that happened Mistress Rinnefiela’s axe passed right through the cloaked figure. It didn’t do anything though, like it was a wraith.”

“Oh, that must have been really annoying for her,” you laugh. You can imagine her perplexed look and the tantrum she might have thrown when her prey eluded her. Still, a cloaked figure in black… did Rin not encounter someone similar during the Erise battle? “If all of the bandits were rescued by that spell, how did you get your hands on the daughter?”

“Oh, Arlin accomplished that,” giggled Aria. “He led her away from the camp before the attack began. Well, he only meant to get her out of harm’s way, afraid that the Mistress might accidentally behead her or something. She might have even gotten away if I didn't catch up to her in time,” she says proudly.

“Hm, hm,” you nod.

“Even though he’s just my stupid little brother, he’s still popular with the girls, isn’t he?” says Aria, a mix of pride and amusement in her voice.

“Hm, hm,” you nod, more slowly this time, looking away from Arlin and Tenia. Petze is spying on them from behind a tree-house, presumably having completed her mission.

The self-proclaimed Bandit Queen’s daughter, Tenia, will need to be questioned: about her mother’s intentions, their relation to Byarlant, and the possible identity of the black figure that saved them. You don’t expect her to know much, but every little bit of information is helpful. You would do it yourself, but you are tired from all the work you have done on the regeneration pod and need to rest in preparation for your upcoming meeting with the Governor.

A. Arlin can do it. He is the only one with a connection to the girl thus far, and it is a connection that you can capitalize on.

B. You have Aria conduct the questioning. As a girl of similar age, they may be able to communicate more easily.

C. You get Runde to do it. The goblin scholar is versed enough in human language and might be unassuming enough for the girl to spill more than she thinks.

Besides that, it seems that Arlin might have a rather hot issue on his hands soon enough if things progress as they are.

A. You let the young ones be. Watching from a distance is entertainment enough. They'll figure it out themselves.

B. Poking your nose where it doesn't belong, you give Arlin some advice.
1. You give him advice on balancing a relationship with both Tenia and Petze. The poor kid might be needing it soon if he wants to see another morning.
2. You give him advice designed to destroy his relationships with Tenia and Petze. Bridges are there to be burnt, and who does he think he is, getting ahead of his master?

More importantly, you need to deliver Ellen back to her father. The location for the exchange has been picked: an abandoned windmill a short distance from Mount Asteronto. Governor Hastwell had been firm about the need to conduct the magnatite transaction outside the city. Within the boundaries of Ontoglia there existed eyes not under his control, and he could at least stymie them temporarily outside of it.

A. You go alone. You do not think the governor is so foolish as to double-cross you, but if it happens to be an ambush, should you decide to leave instead of destroying your ambushers it is easier to do so with just Ellen tagging along.

B. You go with Rin. As the only other person who can teleport, she will not slow you down if you need to make an exit. It would also be a good opportunity to discuss the cloaked people she keeps encountering.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Unfortunately, it is a common anime/jrpg trope that the entire cast suffers from some kind of mental issue or two. :lol: And it's not like Erd himself was spared from this terrible fate.

In fact, he's the most twisted and dishonest of them all. If he randomly walked into someone else's house and saw a treasure chest lying in the open, he would try to loot it.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
CB1A

In fact, he's the most twisted and dishonest of them all. If he randomly walked into someone else's house and saw a treasure chest lying in the open, he would try to loot it.

Sounds like a classic cRPG hero.

Baltika9

Arcane
“Yes,” she replies. “You asked us to ensure that Mistress Rinnefiela did not kill off all the women, right? My little brother, as expected, interpreted that order as being to spare as many bandits as we could, and to achieve a diplomatic resolution. After scouting out the camp, he pretended to be a homeless orphan and temporarily joined them in hopes of being able to sway them from the inside.
Holy shit, I like the way this kid thinks. He's got potential and earned himself a reward for using that noggin of his. I'm down for giving him some tips.
A B1 A
Sink or swim, buddy. If you can't survive juggling two girls, yadda yadda.

And no way in hell am I voting to take Rin with us on her current condition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom