Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Known World - Dead Gods hear no pray (CYOA) - "frozen"

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
After some hours of thinking, I decided to flip coin to decide. Why? Well, Bard class is mostly lower point in voting (behind > sign ). Let's see who won... Spymaster is tails.

... Ladies and gentlemen... Our heroine, by decision of fate is... SPYMASTER.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Will start to write last part of character creation update tomorrow. Expect also last 'summary' after that, but inside of Chapter 1. (Don't worry Nev, I will also start to work on fixing my mistakes. Your help mean a lot to me. - Yeah, Nev is kind of mine proofreader. Remember to brofirst him for his work! )

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd have something that is easy to conceal, be it a dagger or a more exotic Evi-nr. Even the Kivnai is fine if we can hide it somewhere not immediately obvious.

And as for the people, Adbel. Swordsmen like him are as rare as snow in midsummer. Besides, that is one man who would never talk, even if captured. Any spymaster can appreciate this quality.

1F, Kukri/falcata/etc whatever name this setting has for a forward curved short blade that in skilled hands could slice an entire face off > D
2B

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
D - The advantage of this is that we look defenseless until we're ready to strike.
B - The elf will probably not die of old age any time soon.

asxetos

Augur
1d. Can we get to dual-wield them?
2b. I think Abdel sounds cooler and can be more useful.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
I'd have something that is easy to conceal, be it a dagger or a more exotic Evi-nr. Even the Kivnai is fine if we can hide it somewhere not immediately obvious.

Besides, that is one man who would never talk, even if captured.

There is huuuge variety of daggers in KW. From shives hidden inside some normal looking objects, normal, magical or special daggers like Bladebreaker (like this kind of daggers, sword-breakers).

Kivnai itself would be harder to hide as it is shortsword, very similiar to gladius, but with knob above hilt/handgrip. With some practice you can spin it in your hands and instead of some kind of weird weapon with something that may block sword that almost hit in your hand, you get deadly weapon based on your reflex and fast movements.

Evi-nr are based on Japanese war fans, but while in our world metal light and strong enough to create cover for slats with it don't exist, Known World have it. Most of metals like that exist in Shonzang and it is weapon from there. (I assume that you already know that Shonzang is based on Asia)

About dual-wielding them, actually, this is proper way to use them. At least for most of their users. Many people skilled in fighting with those fans say that using one fan is just incomplete style of fighting. After all, you have two hands... well most of people have. Some of them, however, prefer to use it with dagger, mini-crossbow (if you would choose assassin, you could choose it as your ranged weapon. It is mostly used by people that are skilled in killing someone in very close range and can be hidden very easy if you have robe or cloak. However, shooting with it is kind of difficult as some of type of it are used by placing them on your wrist (and this is most annoying kind of those as they sometimes shoot when you move your hand too fast... yeah. It happends to someone who use it for first time. And for killer it is mostly last time if he want to kill someone silently in crowd) while some are just mini crossbows with much smaller range.

Heh, about not talking... let's just say that if you have someone that know how to use tortures machines and techniques question change from 'Will he talk?' to 'When he will start to talk'. And there are also people skilled in mindbreaking magic, illusions and many other spells that can make you do everything for them to stop the pain.

And, by the way - it is clear for your character that those soldiers that attacked you had no intent to capture any of you. They were just killing everyone inside building.

Now, about Choices. This update isn't finished yet, of course, as there is many things to choose. This is part of chapter where you will decide about your char history and this is also probably most important part of it. While skills are different thing, plot choices in this last part of chapter 0 will have great impact on your game as they will decide who you are, who like and who hate you and things like that.

Like, Adbel and Hiri choice - you may think 'Well, we just decide who make it alive and maybe who will/could join us later'. Well... this is part of truth, but it also change point of view of your character, her sanity and psyche... well, I will insert little spoiler here, so if you don't want to know example of how this can change your story, just don't open it. It also have a more information about game system.

While Fangshi style is based on many different actions around the world and much forces that you gathered, Known World is a bit other thing. Last LP from treave, I mean that from hospital was almost pure story driven, without any stats, at least known to players, if I remember correctly. Both of them are masterpieces of CYOA anyway and have their different styles, just as their creators.

Known World itself, is in the 'middle' of that scale. While world around you live and change all time, your character is center part of the story and will have personal aspect of it. This is why there are two types of rolls of the world. like I said before. Things that connected to you, are personal rolls, like case of your killed organization. It is one of your goals, at least now, to find man who is responsible for this. Well, it isn't goal. It is obsession system and it is part of sanity system. When something happends, your choices changes your character goals or you focus on something a little bit... too much, you may create obsession. What it do? Doing things connected to solve it, gain your character morale points and sanity points (depends on force level of obsession). Ignoring it may harm your character psyche, taking sanity points or morale or sometimes even force me to make an control rolls - you fail, your choice changes to that leading you back on your way into solving obsession.

How you can solve them? Well, there are some solutions. You can deal with your mind in many, many ways. Mind magic may help you delete it without solving it, but it will have consequences. When you focus on other things enough time, you may lower force level of obsession or even delete it that way. There is also other way - just solve obsession by doing what you must do. While this obsession that your character have is connected to death of your friends, you want to find that bastard and make him pay... but what if you find a truth behind it? What if that man or woman was forced to do that? What if it was one of your agents? What if he was killed with those that died inside of that inn? Or maybe it was someone else. Or maybe it was anyone, maybe your or your agents mistake were reason behind detecting you and slaughter of your agents? Truth may be very different in many, many cases... everything depend on point of view.

You may think 'What do you mean by 'the middle of scale?'. Well, there are choices that will affect world itself, almost every choice do it is some way. But there are also choices concentrated on your character, her relations and story. Maybe you will find that some of your companions - if you will have any - start to hate each other. That may be different in their views, thoughs, histories and personalities. Will you try to solve this situation? Maybe you will choose only one of them? Or maybe you will ignore them as they are only tools in your hands and you don't see a point to think about their feelings?

Everything is your choice... well. Everything based on our heroine actions.

Hirine and Adbel - two different people, but both are... were important for our character. She was forced to let one of them die... but who she choose? Hiri was her daughter, at least adopted, probably last thing that she could called family, exluding her organization. Adbel, on other site, was her friend, man that she owe more then probably anyone else, man that for money become her guardian, someone who listen to her every complaint without any word of objection (still, his eyebrows were moving up. A lot. At least one. Really, it is suprising how much you can tell by only moving certain parts of your body)

After she saved one of them, other one was killed. She was forced to choose who will die - her best friend or her daugher. It was really hard to your character, of course and this is why she is so fucking focused on only one goal - to find you know who.

EDIT: I decided to add here a world about 'characters' (like those in D&D). Well... this bullshit didn't exist there. Nobody have character. Why? Well, becouse most of time, evil in any world is again, point of view. There are, of course people that make evil chaotic character for lulz, but you don't found them there. While there are characters that are cruel fucking bastards that would kill their own mothers for some gold, there are few of them. Most of people that could be said they are evil are often unstable, half mad or forced to do it.

Let's look at Circle. While most of it could be called 'good' it is really... hard to say that. They killed Gods, yes. But they also killed gargantuan number of people that had nothing to do with Gods, priest or anything else. Count himself was part of 'Goban Tar' (read first post finally! :P ) and he says that to everyone that ask as he is honest man. He regret killing these people (even if he tried to saved most of those that could be saved), but he says that he would do it again if he had a chance (however, he still do that only becouse Rengar asked him to do that. Those people wanted only that what they earn and when Rengar didn't wanted to told them, some dwarves were thinking that it is just unfair to those people. They paid with their own blood for vendetta that was dwarf business and they were hired for that). Most of people are just grey in their hearts.

Last edited:

Cassidy

Arcane
1-f, Kukri/falcata/etc whatever name this setting has for a forward curved short blade that in skilled hands could slice an entire face off.

2-a

Jester

Arbiter
1-f, Kukri/falcata/etc whatever name this setting has for a forward curved short blade that in skilled hands could slice an entire face off. > D
2 A

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Ok guys! I know it was a while, but I finally managed to finish my systems and I'm happy to tell that UPDATE IS THERE! Well, it isn't finished yet, but I must make only a few feats for common section of those for you to choose. Other then that, it is finished.

I'm sorry that it took so long, but I was working on my driving licence and also new feats system. I hope you understand. From now I'm free and I will get all my attention on CYOA project so be ready for updates right after you finish voting.

How much time you have? Hmm... 30 hours. Also - I want to listen to your ideas for common feats.

Now about voting times - Voting between updates will be a bit other then normal - 1-3 days for short sections only about your character and up to 7 days for commanding large forces or important choices.

God bless all of us.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Here we are: Skills and Feats... finally. How it work? Well. You will get short list of your skills, but you can't change them other way then background and feats. This is also last part of our char creation.
How do we choose feats - you have 15 feats points to choose (normal char have 10, but you are souless). More people vote for option/feat/feats - it get choosen. How much people must vote to get feat into 'choosen' stance? At least 3. If you don't vote or don't use all your points, you can keep them for later as you can get more of them during game.

Your skills:

Combat/Military skills:
*Insert favourite weapon name* user: Master
Tactics and commanding: Basic
Spy Special - dirty moves (during fights, you use techniques that rather aren't fair... but it is about live, not honor, isn't it?)
Spy Special - knockout (during a fight, you have large chance to knock someone out... if you want, of course)

Academic/Knowledge/Common wisdom:
Literacy
World Politics
Spy Special - Dancing on Blades (you know much about spy organizations, Kingdoms special forces and how they work)
Souless Knowledge (you are almost 200 years old... you had much time to heard about many thing, important and not important. Maybe it will help in future)
Day before Battle: Lysang - you meet Old Man Lysang and had little... sparing with him. Maybe it is worth to meet him again?
Spy Special - cryptography - advanced

Languages:
Common
Spy Special - signals (you know how to send messages with moves of your body and can read them as well... but there aren't many people who know it)

Body/Physical:
Deft moves - Dexterity attribute skill (becouse of your high attribute skill you have bonuses to any dex rolls)
Spy Special - Escapology (you know how to free yourself from any kind of trap that keep you in one place. Rope, chains? Doesn't matter. With enough time, you will escape)
Spy Special - silent moves (I think you know what I mean there :lol: )

Social:
Spy Special(s) - Talking techniques (you know how to get informations out of any people, harming them or just talking to them. You also have experience in bluffing, diplomacy, trading and any other way to get what you need)
Souless eyes - unless your eyes are hidden under something, people will know that you aren't human anymore... and they can react.
Soulless - 'I have seen more then you will ever see.' - Your... experience in living can sometimes make other people feel... uneasy with you. You can make it your advantage, sometimes.

Feats to choose:

Souless feats:
Strong will - you can withstand without any live force a few days longer (2 and half week, instead of 2 weeks) - 4 points.
'Amazing' Hands - you can suck live force of your victims a bit faster. (3 minutes instead of 5 minutes when you don't want to harm person. 8 minutes instead of 10 when you want to kill your victim) - 5 points.
Soulcatch - when you suck someone dry from his liveforce, you have chance to get their soul without using special talents (you get and lost those with soul points. Using these talents make you lost soul points. Getting soul points is a bit harder - 'eat' more then two persons that you need to live. You must, however, suck those people dry from their live force. So it mean you must kill them) - 8 points

History feats:
Night of Falling Stars - you survived magical catastrophe called Night of Falling Stars. It destroyed large part of Known World, back in time, but it gave you some connections with wizards all around the land - not many people survived in epicenter of it, but you was one of those people. And it give you knowledge that some people really wanted to get. - 4 points.
Dwarven Crusader - you was one of many people that attacked South Kingdoms during Dwarven Crusade. This give you respect from most of dwarves that you meet, if you of course told them you was part of it. Also - you are hated in South Kingdoms with passion. - 3 points
Hundred of Goban Tar - you are one of people that attacked New Riders fortress, Goban Tar. You fought next to Count Zabadon and many other (in)famous people of Known World and by that you gained respect and esteem of dwarven kin. (If you get both DC and this feat, they combine into 'Friend of Stonekin - your support for dwarves actions and tradition mean much for them. You are well known in Dwarven Empire and your name is placed on stone tabled called 'Friends of Dwarves' - next to names of a few people that have done something great in eyes of dwarfs. You can also ask any dwarf to pay his race debt that they have for you, but how much they will do? ) - 5 points

Normal feats:
Environment fighter - your character will use environment in her combat actions (like stones if she lost weapon). This include making little traps from simple elements. - 2 points
Brawl! - you know how to use anything as a weapon, doesn't matter if it is simple beating in tavern or middle of battlefield. - 2 points.
Trackless - hidding your track is important for you - you know how to at least try to don't left your tracks outside of settlements. Inside of them, this feat make you don't stand out so much (you already are spy so you will get only bonuses from it, not entire feat) - 3 points
Charming beast - you know how to use your... attributes. You can charm opposite sex (or... well... same sex if they like same sex) with larger chance for success. - 2 points.
Disguise - you... wait! Where are you? Ah, you clever bastard! You can use disguises with higher bonuses then normal - 2 points.

Spy Special (choose one of these, they are free):
Mastermind - you prefer to hide behind many, many agents they work in field. You have natural talents for commanding spy organization and this is what you are best in this job.
or
Field Agent - you prefer to work on field, next to your agents then hide in safe headquarters. You know how to hide in any terrain or town and how to get informations you need. Stealing enemy intelligence resources isn't hard for you.
or
Informer/Man of The Words - you prefer to work with your words instead of secret missions and other ways that spy usually follow. Using many masks, names and ways to get informations from other people are that what you love in this job. You are man of THE words, after all.

Languages: (Choose one for FREE. Another will cost you 4 points)
- Dragonese - simple form of dragon language used by most of nobility in Dragon Empire
- Dwarven
- Hande - very simple language used by merchants all around the Zinoth.
- Salom - language used in South Kingdoms for thousand of years. Most of people know at least part of it there, but common still is important there.
- Shonzang - Shonzang Empire language - this one is worth 5 points becouse it is damn hell for anyone that didn't born in Shonzang.

Edit: I decided to move update to new post so everyone could saw it.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
People: A
Childhood: A (Thief: The Dark Project vibe)
Feats: Dwarven Crusader (3pts), Hundred of Goban Tar (5pts), Environment fighter or Disguise (2pts)
Spy Special: Field Agent
Languages: Dwarven, Salom (4pts)
Leaving 1pt for the future.

Nevill

Arcane
People: C. Risk is risk, they knew it when they signed up for the job, but I don't think we should overcommit.

Childhood: E. We have enough on our hands with the recent happenings to afford being tied down by what happened 250 years in the past.

Feats:
Night of Falling Stars - 4 points
Connections to mages are never a bad thing.

Trackless - hidding your track is important for you - you know how to at least try to don't left your tracks outside of settlements. Inside of them, this feat make you don't stand out so much (you already are spy so you will get only bonuses from it, not entire feat) - 3 points
Charming beast - you know how to use your... attributes. You can charm opposite sex (or... well... same sex if they like same sex) with larger chance for success. - 2 points.
Disguise - you... wait! Where are you? Ah, you clever bastard! You can use disguises with higher bonuses then normal - 2 points.
A vampire should know how to hide her tracks and act inconspicuously.

Languages: Dwarven

That leaves us with 4 unspent pts that we might save for the future or for another language.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
C - Divide and Conquer. Direct action isn't our forte. But best not to leave our people to their deaths

B>E - Gives us more grounding and an history we can go back to, if only to feel a stranger in our homeland. That and a legitimate claim made void by our circumstances. I definitely prefer the noble background for this one.

Soulcatch - Sounds interesting. I hope we're not going to be squeamish about killing. (Who am I kidding?)

Night of Falling Stars
- Information that everybody wants? Good for an information broker. Since we don't have any magic of our own, it'd also be nice to have a few favours to call in.

Environment Fighter - Most entertaining type of fighter.
Disguise - Important for a soulless

One point left over, nothing to spend on-

Spy feats:
Field Agent - Mastermind is too inactive a role for a LP. Informer could be interesting but I'd prefer not to play a talker.

Languages:
Dragonese - We're a spy, we're going to need to understand what nobles are saying.

Could you add a skill or feat in cryptography? Knowing ciphers would be important.

Jester

Arbiter
C
B
Feats: Dwarven Crusader (3pts), Hundred of Goban Tar (5pts), Disguise (2pts)
Spy Special: Informer/Man of The Words
Languages: Dwarven, Shonzang

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Could you add a skill or feat in cryptography? Knowing ciphers would be important.
Added as skill.

Ok, guys. I wanted to ask you about something: Should I try to add some more feats (normal)?

If you have any other ideas for feats that you should have or you want to be able to choose, just ask. I will think about it.

asxetos

Augur
3 c. Divide and Conquer, as Smashing Axe said.
Childhood b. I think this will be the most interesting.

Feats:
Night of Falling Stars (4p)
Hundred of Goban Tar (5p)
Disguise (2p)

Spy Special:
Mastermind

Languages:
Dragonese
Dwarven (4p)

Nevill

Arcane
Ok, guys. I wanted to ask you about something: Should I try to add some more feats (normal)?
I think it would be better to get it going. We don't really know what kind of world we ended up in (lore aside), so having a mostly pre-set character and customizing it as we get a firmer grasp on things might not be a bad idea.

Jester

Arbiter
I think we start. Mby just create and link post with possible feats to get when we level up, or whatever progresion system we are using.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
OK, so after that voting you get chapter one. Be ready for a little bit more text as you will get short summary of your story, a bit about characters in cells next to you (possible future enemies and friends) and starting plot about getting out of prison.

I will soon make character sheet and edit first post to make list like treave and Fangshi.

How do you level up? Well, depends what you mean. You already know how to level up as class, but there are two ways to get feats:
- You do something that make your character improve. Big thing, winning hard battles, solving obsessions, ending storylines.
- You find teacher and ask him to train you to get feat for free. Of course, it will cost... But not points.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Ok guys. Closing voting... our results:
First part:
Nevill - F>D (A>D), B
Smashing Axe - D, B
asxetos - D, B
Grimgravy - D>A, A
Kz3r0 - A, A
Cassidy - f - I flip this vote to daggers. He wanted big type of dagger, machete but there are daggers like that. (They aren't short sword) So - A, A
Jester - Same as above - A, A

Part 2

Grim
People: A
Childhood: A (Thief: The Dark Project vibe)
Feats: Dwarven Crusader (3pts), Hundred of Goban Tar (5pts), Environment fighter or Disguise (2pts)
Languages: Dwarven, Salom (4pts)
Leaving 1pt for the future.

Nev
People: C. Risk is risk, they knew it when they signed up for the job, but I don't think we should overcommit.

Childhood: E. We have enough on our hands with the recent happenings to afford being tied down by what happened 250 years in the past.

Feats:
Karwelas said:
Night of Falling Stars - 4 points
Connections to mages are never a bad thing.

Karwelas said:
A vampire should know how to hide her tracks and act inconspicuously.

Languages: Dwarven

That leaves us with 4 unspent pts that we might save for the future or for another language.

Axe
C - Divide and Conquer. Direct action isn't our forte. But best not to leave our people to their deaths

B>E - Gives us more grounding and an history we can go back to, if only to feel a stranger in our homeland. That and a legitimate claim made void by our circumstances. I definitely prefer the noble background for this one.

Soulcatch - Sounds interesting. I hope we're not going to be squeamish about killing. (Who am I kidding?)

Night of Falling Stars - Information that everybody wants? Good for an information broker. Since we don't have any magic of our own, it'd also be nice to have a few favours to call in.

Environment Fighter - Most entertaining type of fighter.
Disguise - Important for a soulless

One point left over, nothing to spend on-

Spy feats:
Field Agent - Mastermind is too inactive a role for a LP. Informer could be interesting but I'd prefer not to play a talker.

Languages:
Dragonese - We're a spy, we're going to need to understand what nobles are saying.

Jester
C
B
Feats: Dwarven Crusader (3pts), Hundred of Goban Tar (5pts), Disguise (2pts)
Spy Special: Informer/Man of The Words
Languages: Dwarven, Shonzang

asx
3 c. Divide and Conquer, as Smashing Axe said.
Childhood b. I think this will be the most interesting.

Feats:
Night of Falling Stars (4p)
Hundred of Goban Tar (5p)
Disguise (2p)

Spy Special:
Mastermind

Languages:
Dragonese
Dwarven (4p)

Will get to work tonight.
Fuck, I almost forget. Results:
1. Favourite weapon - A/F - big kind of dagger that is able to cut entire face off. Machete or whatever. You still can use ALL daggers as master weapons, however.

2. Who is alive? - Hiri, your daugther and right hand.

3. What did you do with your people? - You decided to make an
diversion and your people (rolls) paid price for your plan. You lost 4 of your people that managed to escape with you, however seven more people escaped from slaughter inside of building. Those agents will be added to your contact lists (if they contacted you, of course). Maybe even some more people escaped from that trap, but you didn't get any message or didn't saw them. Why some agents may don't want to work with you anymore? It was 10 years ago and they may have their reasons. (So including you, there are at least 11 people from Servants that are still alive... well, they should be)

Why you didn't contacted them before? Well - you was broken for around 4 years. You never lost so much people before. Also, your character didn't wanted to even see them as she felt it was her fault. Now, after year in prison, you had time to think about it. But what will you do?

4. Your background - Your father was impoverished nobleman from Vin-Libre. Most of your wealth diappeared long before you were born, but some of it left and thanks to it you had chance to learn from teachers and later even go to Middleren University. Thanks to that, you gained some friends among students and teachers and meet crem de la crem of Known World nobility.

Feats:
Hundred of Goban Tar - you are one of people that attacked New Riders fortress, Goban Tar. You fought next to Count Zabadon and many other (in)famous people of Known World and by that you gained respect and esteem of dwarven kin. - 5 points

Environment fighter - your character will use environment in her combat actions (like stones if she lost weapon). This include making little traps from simple elements. - 2 points

Night of Falling Stars - you survived magical catastrophe called Night of Falling Stars. It destroyed large part of Known World, back in time, but it gave you some connections with wizards all around the land - not many people survived in epicenter of it, but you was one of those people. And it give you knowledge that some people really wanted to get. - 4 points.

Well, 2 points left so I decided to pick up -
- as Nev voted for it.

Language: Dwarven - most of you voted that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom