Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't he just talking about pushing the patch to the beta channel? When they release to everyone, the patch is going at the same time as the expansion.

I kinda doubt expansion content will be put into public beta before release.

Uh yes, that's what we're saying/talking about.

BAdler : "There was a build failure this morning (looks like the build machine may have run out of memory during the build process). We fired off another build this morning and it just fully completed all OSes. QA has looked through the win build and it seems like it may be good for upload later this afternoon (5 or 6 PST). We are currently running a culling process, then we will get it up on Steam for our QA folks to play for a bit. If all goes well I should be able to make the beta available before I go home tonight.

I will keep everyone posted."

Why the hell is Obsidian acting like they are some kind of indie developer when they charge like almost a triple A company? I mean who the hell can believe that stupid complain about the machine going out of memory. What the hell are they running there 3x86 machines with 16 MB of RAM? Seriously, I am running a 64 GB of RAM machine at my work and I am not a game developer but that has to be the lamest excuse I ever heard.....

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
64GB?? Either you're doing some serious CAD/Graphics work, or your IT department is drunk.

The problem here is Obsidian is oversharing. Just say, "the build failed for technical reasons." That way, the armchair experts have nothing to pop off about.

64GB?? Either you're doing some serious CAD/Graphics work, or your IT department is drunk.

The problem here is Obsidian is oversharing. Just say, "the build failed for technical reasons." That way, the armchair experts have nothing to pop off about.
Yes CAD and photogrammetry alignment. Looks like this time they have a spell bug and didn't release it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ity-expansion-the-white-march-out-25th-august

Pillars of Eternity expansion The White March: Part 1 out 25th August
Ready to go?

The first expansion for Pillars of Eternity comes out this month.

The White March - Part 1 launches 25th August, developer Obsidian and publisher Paradox said.

It raises the old-school fantasy role-playing game's level cap, adds new multi-class abilities, new companions (including rogue and monk), and a new party-based AI system.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
BAdler : "There was a build failure this morning (looks like the build machine may have run out of memory during the build process). We fired off another build this morning and it just fully completed all OSes. QA has looked through the win build and it seems like it may be good for upload later this afternoon (5 or 6 PST). We are currently running a culling process, then we will get it up on Steam for our QA folks to play for a bit. If all goes well I should be able to make the beta available before I go home tonight.

I will keep everyone posted."

Why the hell is Obsidian acting like they are some kind of indie developer when they charge like almost a triple A company? I mean who the hell can believe that stupid complain about the machine going out of memory. What the hell are they running there 3x86 machines with 16 MB of RAM? Seriously, I am running a 64 GB of RAM machine at my work and I am not a game developer but that has to be the lamest excuse I ever heard.....

Slow down there arm chair dev king - I have seen much larger companies run into failed builds due to system resource consumption. This is a very common issue and very easy to fix. It just happens because you rarely delete or free up Virtual Machines / Partitions / Space unless you need to. It's not a big deal. It's an oversight more then anything and happens to the best kept Jenkins servers.

They aren't "Indie's crying over lack of hardware" this was just dev speak for: they had a build fail that was unrelated to any bugs and needed to kick off a new build which may slow things down. Don't get all uppidy if you don't know shit about the industry.

Who cares.. it's like 8 hours of fluff content and a few balance fixes.. Did they even touch the garrison or itemization of the base game?
It's just gonna be the same shit with more snow.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Note the thread title

Here's the press release:

'The White March - Part I' Adds New Story and Features to Critically Acclaimed RPG

IRVINE, Calif. — Aug. 5, 2015 — Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive announced today that “The White March – Part I,” the first expansion to Pillars of Eternity, will be released on August 25, 2015. “The White March – Part I,” revealed during E3 2015, adds a tremendous amount of new content to the Pillars of Eternity universe, and can be played alongside the original game whether players have completed the core game or not. The expansion offers a higher level cap, artifacts, new companions, new abilities, and a new realm to explore along with an expertly crafted story from Carrie Patel, author of the Recoletta series and writer on the originalPillars of Eternity, and Eric Fenstermaker, lead writer on Pillars of Eternityand one of the co-writers of South Park: The Stick of Truth alongside show creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

Take a peek at what waits in The White March - Part I with the reveal trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a05OrRrR2Q

Pillars of Eternity is a role-playing game (RPG) inspired by classic titles such as Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment, backed by over 70,000 fans and released to critical acclaim in March, 2015. Featuring an original world and game system that evokes and improves upon the traditional computer RPG experience, Pillars of Eternity now ventures into new parts of Eora in its first expansion, “The White March – Part I,” including a selection of snow themed environments inspired by Icewind Dale. The White March - Part I offers new features for first-time players and veterans alike, including new rogue and monk companions, a party-based AI system, multi-class abilities, and many new challenges to conquer .

For more information on Pillars of Eternity, visit http://pillarsofeternity.com/.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Same old trailer too, it's the one from E3.

It doesn't mention the individual stealth and multi-class talents, though

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am not giving them money for this expansion unless it also fixes the base game somehow. Hopefully the patches they bring in with these expansions will do just that. We will probably need to wait until Part 2 for some more real changes.

ArchAngel

Arcane
If anyone dares to try I would be interested to find out if pathfinding was made better and if finally when you turn off AI it is truly off and characters wait for your next order after finishing the last one.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I like how splitting the expansion in half only shaved off a month, just as I predicted.

Beta patched released. 2.1 gb
Looking forward to how the DRM-free patch is going to be like three digit megabytes at best.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
2.0 beta patch notes are up, not comprehensive and in progress because the changes are so massive http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-186-update-notes-20-in-progress/

After long period of playing audio can start to cut out erratically. It is being investigated and should be fixed before the next beta patch.

Unity. :lol:

Changed lockpicking so that it now uses three lockpicks if the lock is above your level, one lockpick if the lock is equal to your level, and no lockpicks if the lock is below your level.

What was it before? Seems like it's kinda weird if it's a static three regardless of level, rather than taking the Deus Ex/Kotor route.

• Figurines now have summon durations.
  • Chanter invocations now have durations.

Aw snap. :lol:

Plus Josh-posts at badgame:

Josh said:
Looks like it falls to Pillars of Eternity to make the first great videogame tabletop rpg spinoff.
lmao but

a lot of people have asked and keep asking us about making a PoE TTRPG and it seems like a strange request. it's a class-based fantasy RPG with a lot of mechanics that are designed for a RTwP environment. if you like the world of eora, that's cool, but you could probably just run a game in that setting with mechanics from one of the myriad other class-based TTRPGs in current production/play.

Josh said:
dragon age did it. you don't want to be beaten by dragon age do you?
i don't have any information to suggest this is the case with DA:TTRPG, but i have to wonder if they learned the ancient secret of how to make a small fortune in the TTRPG industry.

start with a large fortune.

Ninjerk

Arcane
2.0 beta patch notes are up, not comprehensive and in progress because the changes are so massive http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-186-update-notes-20-in-progress/

Unity. :lol:

What was it before? Seems like it's kinda weird if it's a static three regardless of level, rather than taking the Deus Ex/Kotor route.

Aw snap. :lol:

Plus Josh-posts at badgame:
I think it was like one less than your mechanics skill if you were a point away from its lock level? I vaguely remember the mechanics skill and # of lockpicks required being within 1 of each other.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Full notes: http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-186-update-notes-20-in-progress/

Hey, everyone. The changelist for this beta is very large and we are still going through it all. We will be listing many of our fixes and changes, but some may fall through the cracks.

NOTE: Backups of 1.06 saves are created in your Saved Games folder. 2.0+ saves may not be used in 1.06 and earlier builds.

Major Known Issues
  • After long period of playing audio can start to cut out erratically. It is being investigated and should be fixed before the next beta patch.
  • Some recipes were not intended to be released and will not show in the UI correctly. They will be removed in the next Update beta release.
  • New voice set titles are missing strings. This will be fixed in a future update.
Major New Features
  • Companion AI - You may now set your companions to use AI. For those of you that do not want to micromanage your party, you may now choose to have the AI perform basic commands for you. You can activate and deactivate the AI control at any time, so you can still have ultimate party control when you need it. Each class has specialized AI packages and we will be adding more in the future.
  • Improved Creature AI - Creatures and NPCs will now act more intelligently and make better use of their abilities and spells.
  • Character Retraining - You may now retrain your character and modify their stats for a small fee.
  • Individual Stealth - You may now place individual party members into scouting mode. If some of your party enters combat you will no longer have your entire party leave stealth.
  • Range Indicators - There are now range indicators to let you know the casting range of spells and abilities. Now you will know if your wizard is going to move before he casts that Fireball. =)
  • Accuracy Indicators - You are now shown the chance to hit on all attacks, abilities, and spells by mousing-over a potential target.
Fixed Issues
Areas
  • Fixed issue where Calisca was not being teleported after resting in the Ruin Interior.
Attributes, Abilities, Spells, and Skills
  • Changed Perception bonus from Deflection to Accuracy.
  • Fixed crash that could happen if a Wizard had the Blast ability and targeting many targets.
  • Increased Constitution bonus to Endurance and Health from 3% to 5%.
  • Changed lockpicking so that it now uses three lockpicks if the lock is above your level, one lockpick if the lock is equal to your level, and no lockpicks if the lock is below your level.
Audio
  • Polished many sound effects around the game.
  • Fixed weapon ineffective voice over that was playing at incorrect times.
  • Fixed a problem where pausing the game could cause VO and/or barkstrings to finish early.
Gameplay
  • Fixed a problem where friendly auras could grow in size after a save and load.
  • Fixed an issue where chant effects were considered item effects for stacking purposes. This was causing incorrect bonus calculation.
  • Suppressed "Target Destroyed" autopausing if target was the last target in the combat. This will prevent automatic pauses at the end of combat.
  • Figurines now have summon durations.
  • Chanter invocations now have durations.
  • Speed item mod now works correctly.
  • Improved resting bonuses from the Stronghold.
  • Noble's Rest Intelligence bonus lowered to +2.
  • Scroll of Missile Barrage to be combat only.
  • Fixed a problem where stealing part of a stack wasn't registered as stealing.
  • Stealing now only loses reputation once per container.
  • We now have immunities in the game. Some creatures have been updated to make use of them. I'm looking at you blights and dragons...
  • Changed amount of Health that are healed with Wound Binding and Field Triage.
  • Looting equipment off of enemies unequips it from their dead body.
  • Autosave system now uses 3 rolling autosaves instead of one.
  • Improved quality of font text when the game is at a higher resolution than 1920x1200.
Korean
  • The Korean font was changed to something more legible.
OSX
  • Fixed issue where switching resolutions in windowed mode on the Mac was not working properly.
  • Attempted fix for Mac where game crashes on saves at times.
UI
  • Fixed issue where spells with summons could display incorrect info at times.
  • Fixed issue where sorting depth of some UI elements were being changed over time. This was causing some UI screens (like tooltips) to render under active UI screens.
  • Changed formatting of item mods to remove the item mod title and only list the effect. This was to clean up the UI.
  • Added range indicators for Wizard's Blast.
  • Added range indicators for Paladin auras.
  • Added range indicators for Barbarian's Carnage.
  • Fixed a problem where the spell casting cursor didn't refesh its image at times.
  • Fixed issue where inspecting ingredients when crafting could show improper descriptions and icons.
  • Fixed issue where Party Formation UI could overlap with Looting UI.
  • Level up screen background has been updated.
  • Resting bonuses from inns now display the length of time they are active.
  • Moved Skills before Active Effects in character sheet.
  • Stopped scroll position from reseting when changing characters in the character sheet.
  • Made options in the language dropdown always use their native font instead of the font for the current language.
  • Fixed an issue where it was possible to mess up spell selection in Character Creation by moving between stages.
  • Fixed issue where secondary AoE effects were not properly displaying qualifiers. For example, Holy Radiance's Burn AoE only affects vessels, but the description made it appear as if it damaged all enemies.
  • Fixed UI issue where all chants were being labeled "A" after a save and load.
  • Fixed issue where chants could get moved out of order after loading a saved game.
  • Examinable descriptions will no longer disappear while the game is paused
  • Fixed checkbox and numeric widgets on message boxes sometimes showing for a frame
  • Fixed problems where sometimes UI wouldn't differentiate between auras and hardards in descriptions.
  • Fixed a problem where some long titles were being cut off in the UI.
  • Fixed stuttering issues with scrolling text.
  • Fixed an issue where status effects applied by enemy equipment wasn't being shown in the UI

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
The lockpick change is a good one because right now the lockpick cost feels so large that lots of people probably just choose to never use them.

Good call on nerfing that +4 Intelligence inn bonus too. :P

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
  • We now have immunities in the game. Some creatures have been updated to make use of them. I'm looking at you blights and dragons...
NJeCil3q.gif

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
So there's only one stat boosting deflection now, and another one that will probably let you start with +20 accuracy? Good job making the game even more trivial.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
So there's only one stat boosting deflection now, and another one that will probably let you start with +20 accuracy? Good job making the game even more trivial.

Does that sound likely to you coming from Josh Sawyer - especially considering he's already publicly acknowledged that the late game is too easy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom