Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grey Goo - Now wobbling on your Hard Drive

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The human ambient track reminded me a bit of the Dune 2000 soundtrack (electronic and sweeping strings). I liked the human and beta music themes than the Grey Goo one, but they're all well-executed. I'm glad Klepacki's on board.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought he was an indie who just happens to always work with the Westwood & Petroglyph guys.
But anyway, his music is great at conveying specific atmospheres (I actually use it for PnP sessions), so it is always a great thing if he does the music score.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The units look cool. I was afraid they would be amorphous blobs of goo. However, I'm a little concerned with telling the units apart, since all have the Protoss dragoon shape. The small "zerglings" are easy to identify with that prism on top, but the others are not as distinct.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Last edited:

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
Beside butt ugly UI, the game sure looks promising, especially goo faction...

Ohh and nice change to human faction, 1st time seeing them like a super hi tech force...

Stefan Vujovic

Educated
I have that feeling this will be a bit too casual for my taste. Also a 15 missions campaign spread over three factions is too meager, considering a third of that is likely wasted on tutorial stuff already.
I thought it was 15 per faction, meh...

Erzherzog

Magister
It's impossible to not get stoked for this. Petroglyph designed above average attempts with Empire at War and Universe at War, then went into almost a decade of craptacular games. Now they're back with a game that at the very least has cool looking design and looks to be much more a true RTS than most out there.

Can't wait. I played the fuck out of EaW believing that good times were here to stay. I've been so disappointed for so long as a strategy gamer.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Darth Roxor
Did you play/watch this one at Gamescom bro? Should we start fapping?

I only watched some streams of random people playing, and it didn't impress me at all :/

Maybe I'm spoiled by Dawn of War, but RTSes based only on building 9000 tanks and bumrushing the enemy simply don't do it for me anymore. I mean, ffs, even C&C games had those bonus pick-up crates on their maps, with cash or unit upgrades, but from the looks of it, Grey Goo's maps are not only small as hell, but also completely empty. They've got all those big-ass factories and machinery and shit, but they are just props, like in Starcraft. The only cool thing I noticed were some FoV shenanigans, like some of the bigger props blocking unit vision, or forests in which you can hide your units for quasi-invisibility. But the rest looked... not very cool.

80s Stallone

Arcane
The name needs to be changed ASAP.

I'm still waiting for a true successor to C&C. They all play like StarCraft these days.

80s Stallone

Arcane
Well, partially too. But even classic C&C got Starcraft-ized with Tiberium Wars and Red Alert 3. The other new RTS games are like Total Annihilation.

I miss the true C&C style. Back in the 90s there were so many clones of it, Dark Reign, KKND and whatever but then StarCraft (and Age of Kings) came and all thoughts from now on RTS must be like that.

There is a new RTS coming out called Meridian. Made by one man. I played the demo, I liked it but it feels like a Starcraft 2 fork.

Also there is Act of Aggression, Etherium... so a new wave of RTS games is finally arriving but none of them seems to be based on classic C&C.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Darth Roxor
Did you play/watch this one at Gamescom bro? Should we start fapping?

I only watched some streams of random people playing, and it didn't impress me at all :/

Maybe I'm spoiled by Dawn of War, but RTSes based only on building 9000 tanks and bumrushing the enemy simply don't do it for me anymore. I mean, ffs, even C&C games had those bonus pick-up crates on their maps, with cash or unit upgrades, but from the looks of it, Grey Goo's maps are not only small as hell, but also completely empty. They've got all those big-ass factories and machinery and shit, but they are just props, like in Starcraft. The only cool thing I noticed were some FoV shenanigans, like some of the bigger props blocking unit vision, or forests in which you can hide your units for quasi-invisibility. But the rest looked... not very cool.
:negative:

Another one bites the dust...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom