Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codexian Saga LP

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Chase Scene

The pursuit of the Phyr veseel lasted for hours. The Codexian patrol ships blared comm signals over every radio, laser and maser frequency, hoping to calm the fleeing Phyr, and to initiate first contact. But to no avail. The ursine creatures hit the gas, proverbially speaking, and ran for their lives. Unfortunately for them, the larger Codexian vessels were faster. Much faster. Or, at least, they were, until the Phyr disappeared from their sensor screens. As the range closed to mere light minutes, the significant sensor contact simply... vanished. It did not get weaker and then trail off, it simply was no longer there. The Codexian crews were dumbfounded. Captain Jack O’War, descendant of one of the heroic defenders of Jack’s World during the Raumen War, ordered a thorough search to be conducted by the Codexian naval forces in the area. The system was swept end to end, ultimately without any success or hint as to what had actually happened.

The Case of the Vanishing UFO took on a new dimension when – two days later – a trio of sensor contacts appeared on long-range sensors for a few minutes, then once again blanked the interceptors sent after them. Over the next few weeks, there was a rash of such instances, with sensor contacts appearing then disappearing with incredible rapidity. It simply made no sense. That is to say, it made no sense, until a lowly sensor tech noticed something peculiar. In one instance, a squadron of contacts appeared and disappeared, much like the others – but the sensor tech finally found an underlying PATTERN. The formation of Phyr craft went silent in a very particular way. The echeloned flight vanished in such a specific sequence, as to suggest that they snuck through a ‘curtain’. Soon enough, a troubling hypothesis arose: the Codexian system was playing host to an elliptical field of ‘dead space’ in the sensor net.

Main implication: that field seemed to be a technological means of hiding the Phyr. The other implication, however, was more worrying; its immense size indicated either a powerful stealth generator, or the presence of a massive vessel holding the ‘curtain’ closed. In any case, this presented a difficulty for the Codexians, to put it blithely.

Do you... rush forces to the area and concentrate them in ‘defence’ of the colony?

OR

Do you... approach the field and make an attempt at piercing the veil?

OR

Do you... feign ignorance, and hope the bad thing goes away?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
This is most troubling.
Perhaps the Phyr is more advanced than we though?

Whatever it is, it must be investigated.
We can't risk to get caught with our pants down again.
A.

If it is a threat we must meet it with the means necessary.

wjw

Augur
B ofcourse.

Not that we should not take some defensive precautions. Up until now, the aliens have not shown any hostility towards us. Why should we?

laclongquan

Arcane
C.

I say it again. C

We are feigning ignorance, but preparing in advance. An emergency response squadron in the vinicity of that system, not too close as to menace, but not too far in case of trouble.

They are fucking curious, so we let them satiate their curiousity in their way. Dont show your ass more than you cant help, because currently we have shown that we are a bumbling bunch of fools.

C.

EDITY EDIT: Too bad for the colony in question but they are bait. We are NOT to concentrate force in defense position. What are we? a scaredy cat?

Maria

Novice
B

We don't want to provoke them but we can't just let them sit there and spy on us, letting them do that could be fatal.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Holy shit, how had I missed this?

A-hem!

We should not try to pierce the veil, for this would most likely be taken as an hostile act. But neither can we passively hope for the bears to make friendly contact on their leisure.

Thus I advocate Codex to concentrate more Fleet units into the system in question as a counter-measure against any possible surprise attacks.

Can we place picket forces in the outer system? Does Codexia have gravitational sensors sensitive enough to spot large ships? These might prove valuable insight into the problem.

In any case, A - rush forces to the area and concentrate them in ‘defence’ of the colony?,

juggernaut

Educated
Option C. They were clearly testing us, and now that we've found their trick we should be sneaky. I hope it's not literally a do-nothing option though, can't we stealth prepare?

Edit: Ok, changing to option A.

laclongquan

Arcane
A mere farflung colony, coldblooded speaking, is expendable. Should they want to jump that, let them. From a military standpoint, it's excellent qualification to smash the invasion fleet, and open the door for offcial negotiation.

I shouldnt have to teach politicians about machiavellian tactics, should I?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Why can't we do both A and B?

Fellow councilours, we must discover the means with which the aliens have erected this curtain. But we must also be vigilant and keep a fleet in close proximity(but beyond sensor range) if it turns out they have a hostile intent.

A and B, but primarliy B

The Barbarian

Liturgist
To clarify:

A is a delayed response - that is to say, a build-up as a precursor to some eventual action.

B is an instant response - an action taken immediately, not weeks or months from now when fleet units concentrate in the system. This option doesn't preclude a build-up of forces in the system at a later time, however.

C is, in fact, a 'do nothing' option. The stealthy build-up mentioned would come under Option A. Depending on how you read it, it is either an act of arrogant dismissal, or a display of a non-confrontational attitude, or a sign of timidity.

EDIT:

The Barbarian will update again today, so you fine gentlemen have roughly four hours to think it over and get your votes in.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Curious but shy, with a mastery of stealth technology. This is cause for worry. I did not expect this, but life is rarely easy.

To do nothing is very, very risky. What happens when our fighters hit the veil? That is a question we must answer. If loss of life is a concern, we can simply launch survey probes towards the region.

Gathering our forces in the region is also a risky move to take. With their stealth capabilities, we will require mobile sensors in all sectors to avoid possible infiltration. Note that their small craft do not have this capability. The sensor net is perfectly capable of detecting the 'mothership' as an area of dead-space - as such we will require our communications and detections vessels to be alert all along the border.

Right now we know too little, just like we did during the war with the bugs. We must gain more knowledge, and we must do it soon before allowing them any more time to move into position for whatever scheme they are planning. Therefore, Codexia has to act. Let us test their veil.

B. Approach the field and make an attempt at piercing the veil.

If it were truly up to me I would be utilizing unmanned drones and survey probes broadcasting a signal of peace before even thinking of sending some poor scout fighter into the area.

edit: We must consider the possibility that our conjectured implications are all wrong. Primitive beings that they are, this could be the result of some force that we are not yet aware of. There is a reason why the Raumen were not keen to share information on the Phyrries, and no, it's not just because those bugs are massive dicks. Could there be some force other than technology out here in the stars?

laclongquan

Arcane
We dont need to fear that our naval movement toward this sector is undetected. Actually, we want them to know. If we cant do stealthily, capital! but if it's not, no biggie!

I will remind ladies and gentlement once again, the furries are curious, high population, and ambitious. They are not shy. I dont know why you think they're shy. It's a ridiculous thing to suggest that our corp of stealthy scoutship are shy. Ditto with theirs.

If we approach them and our tech cant find them, they will have reason to be more confident in their capability. THAT is a cause of concern.

lightbane

Arcane
I say A, if a new xenos race is helping the furries, we must be prepared to crush them quickly and painfully.

It's better to be safe than sorry (especially if they're allies with the treacherous eldars).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I would rather we know we can not perceive them with our current levels of technology rather than hazard a bluff. But it is not exactly true that we can't find them. We can perceive the area that they are in as a region of dead space. If we truly wanted to, we could saturate the area with a fiery grid of death.

Our undetected naval movement does not matter. I am advocating we maintain our patrols so that other similar vessels do not park themselves in our territories without our knowing it, instead of gathering our forces and possibly leaving our nether regions open to infiltration.

Angthoron

Arcane
They might have alerted us to their presence on purpose. A single spaceship that neither engaged nor responded. Perhaps it is best if we do similarly and fly in a vessel to see what goes on beyond this veil - if they are already at war with another race, they will be stupid to engage in war with us as well, and if they planned an invasion and gambled just on this veil, they are twice the fools.

Therefore, Option B - we should try to find out their intentions and learn more of the nature of this veil.

I would also like to point out that amassing our war fleet may be wrongly taken as intending to start a war. Remember our initial meeting with the bug-like unbugs - slightest misunderstandings can make things spin out of control.

laclongquan

Arcane
We are massing troops in OUR region, not theirs. We are not coming into their region unannounced. We are not shooting at that suspicious vessel.

There's a point to political correctness. However, in combat condition, in precombat condition, PC can kiss my fat hairy ass.

EDIT:

Any massing a squadron of battlecruisers in the nearby space is not a serious declaration of war.

If the war break out, they will serve both as stopper, and emergency response. If no war break out, the furries know that we mean business, we are suspicous, paranoia, but well controlled of our triggers. Win-win.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So we engage in a disproportionate response to an immediate situation instead of considering long term strategic concerns.

Oh, Codexia.

Angthoron

Arcane
With our Wyrmholes we can easily send in a massive force of battleships from a neighbouring system without giving up strategic information on the numbers of vessels and types of weapons they possess.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Angthoron said:
With our Wyrmholes we can easily send in a massive force of battleships from a neighbouring system without giving up strategic information on the numbers of vessels and types of weapons they possess.
That would be option A.
Option B is to rush in without preparation.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No, it means that should we require a build-up of forces in the system, we can swiftly and easily reinforce through Wyrmholes when the need arises.

Parading our fleet about in front of the Phyrries in a strutting show of strength only gives them more information about our military capabilities.

laclongquan

Arcane
Master Treave got some curious definition of long-term strategic concerns. Real curious. If you want to know about their ability in stealth there're lots of easier way to do it in later stages, when we can probe around their backdoors. Why would we want to show our hands this early in the game?

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
treave said:
No, it means that should we require a build-up of forces in the system, we can swiftly and easily reinforce through Wyrmholes when the need arises.

Parading our fleet about in front of the Phyrries in a strutting show of strength only gives them more information about our military capabilities.

We need to have ships ready in the system should they attack.
Besides, it would serve as a warning to them.

We need to wait them out, while we prepare our forces.
An act of aggression without reinforcements to back it up is not what we need right now.

Perhaps you are right, admiral.
Only time will tell.

wjw

Augur
I change my vote to B!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom