Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Tom Hall and Brenda Brathwaite Kickstart Turn-based Oldschool CRPG
Information - posted by Crooked Bee on Wed 3 October 2012, 12:15:59Tags: Brenda Brathwaite; Kickstarter; Tom Hall
Okay so Tom Hall (Anachronox, Doom) and Brenda Brathwaite (Wizardry, also John Romero's wife) have turned to Kickstarter to fund an "oldschool CRPG" for the PC and Mac -- or, if they reach $1.9 million, two CRPGs, one designed by Brenda and one by Tom. (Spiritual successor to Anachronox anyone?)
There's a lot of video game celebrities endorsing this Kickstarter already, from MCA to Notch. I haven't been able to ascertain from the Kickstarter page just what kind of CRPG this is going to be (first person or isometric for starters), but I'm gonna quote the list of game's features for you:
- Characters: Create a group of up to 4 characters, choosing from multiple races and professions.
- Skills: Balance your characters' strengths, weaknesses and skills, knowing each of them affects play.
- Progression: Gain experience and gain levels to hone your characters to your exact liking.
- Recruitable Characters: Hire NPCs to work with you, if you trust them, or allow them to hire you to be their guide.
- Character Extensions (Stretch Goal): Wrestle with the old-school favorites from back in the paper days - alignment, age, rank and randomly-rolled temperament.
- Exploration: Explore a richly detailed world, home to unique, dangerous and sometimes crafty creatures who may be friend or foe.
- Treasure: Loot castles, caverns and dungeons and defeat hordes of creatures in a world where your skill and cunning are key.
- NPCs: At least five known NPC races call this world home. Forge alliances with them and do their bidding - or be their undoing.
- Quests: Solve hundreds of quests on your way to discovering and uncovering the secrets of the world.
- Multiple Endings: The smallest of intentions sometimes matters far more than you know. It is a world alive with memories.
- Multiple Beginnings (Stretch Goal): The endings in one game affect the beginnings in another. Import your characters from one world to another.
- Combat: Turn-based combat harkens back to the days when spells and swords hit hard and last-second healing spells saved the day.
- NPC Enemies (Stretch Goal): What once was a relatively peaceful world becomes much more dangerous not only for you, but for those who live there. New NPCs come complete with an expanded game area and quests.
- Super Hardcore Mode (Stretch Goal) : Challenge yourself with Permadeath mode, no-save option and some optional but barely beatable bosses with the loot to prove their worth.
- Pen & Paper RPG ($60 Reward Tier): Gather around a table and enjoy playing Old School RPG the seriously, really old school way.
- Two Games, One Kickstarter ($1.9M Stretch Goal): Brenda and Tom make different, separate RPGs with unique worlds, quests and characters.