Visit our sponsors! (or click here and disable ads)
Element: Space is an upcoming sci-fi turn-based tactical RPG from Argentina
Game News - posted by Infinitron on Thu 12 July 2018, 00:52:17Tags: Element: Space; Inca Games; Sixth Vowel
For some reason, science fiction RPGs based in traditional far future space opera settings are a rare breed, so it's always worth reporting when a decent-looking one shows up. Today we learned about the existence of one such game. It's called Element: Space and it's the work of an Argentina-based studio by the name of Sixth Vowel. The game is isometric and turn-based, but otherwise sounds sort of Mass Effect-ish, with companions, a mission-based structure, and even a mystical force (quaintly also called "Sixth Vowel") which will presumably allow for space magic. Element: Space has actually been in development since at least late 2015 and is coming out this year. We're learning about it now because the developers have apparently formed their own publisher called Inca Games to help market it. The game's official website reveals a couple of trailers they put together back in March, a teaser trailer and a more gameplay-centric "feature reel". I'll post those along with the press release:
BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 – Argentina-based Sixth Vowel, the in-house development studio of Latin American publishing company Inca Games, today announced its first game, Element: Space. Players must forge alliances and uncover an interstellar conspiracy in this space-based tactical squad RPG; the biggest game solely developed in the Spanish-speaking Latin America region to date.
Element: Space is slated for release in Q4 of this year for PC on Steam, with the possibly of other platforms to follow.
“We love classic narrative-driven games and turn-based strategy. But we’re also mixing in the things we always wanted to see in the genre – refining turn-based tactical combat on hand-crafted levels while delivering a big story that changes and evolves with your actions,” said Entelman.
In Element: Space players take on the role of spacecraft Captain Christopher Pietham, leading his squadron of various companions into intergalactic conflict and dealing with the consequences of their choices throughout a deep story and combat which are altered by the player’s choices and actions.
The single-player game has core aspects of a classic squad-based tactical RPG but, rather than procedurally-generated missions, each is hand-crafted, non-linear, contains free-form combat, and is revealed based upon the player’s selection of factions, ideology, companions and more. The game must be replayed to experience the entire universe and story. Woven throughout the game is the power of the ‘Sixth Vowel’, which can best be described as humanity’s capacity for altering reality by manipulating sound, light and motion at will.
Element: Space features...
- A story and gameplay where every choice matters. Players’ selection of ideology, faction alliance, squad mate companions and behavior affect the weapon availability, skills, loyalty and the direction the story will take. “We want players to feel the pressure of each decision they make to advance the story,” said Entelman.
- 24 branching hand-crafted missions/submissions. Players experience 8 non-linear missions or submissions each time they play, determined by their choices, for an estimated 12-15+ hours per playthrough.
- 8 faction worlds to explore (+3 non-playable). Each one represents a vastly different culture, agenda and architectural style, making the final game visually rich and diverse. Factions also provide unique bonuses depending upon how well you bond with them.
- 8 potential companions to join you on your mission. Recruit your ‘party of five’ from eight unique squad-mates as you race against time. Each unlocks different stories, weapons and/or specialized combat skills. However, Entelman added, “you’ll have to play the game multiple times to see just how different each potential ally works for your team.”
- A compelling battle system. Turn-based free-form combinations of movement, skills and attacks enables a unique team-based approach. A selection of 32 melee and ranged weapons, some unlocked based on faction relationships; Companions each have unique skills and develop 2 of 6 archetypes, with no two characters having the same combination; each set of enemies combine their abilities to challenge the player in a new way – all of this combines for complex combat and high replay-ability.
“It’s our goal to show a greater level of quality and talent from this largely untapped region, said Emiliano Giacobbe, studio CCO. “Raising this bar is key, as it is an industry growth investment for LatAm, and will change worldwide perception of what the region can develop independently.”
Sixth Vowel’s parent company and the game’s publisher, Inca Games, is currently seeking co-publishing partners to help bring the game to a global audience. Element: Space is scheduled for release in Q4 2018 for PC, with the possibility of console versions to follow. For additional information, please visit www.element-space.com.