Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Odoryuk

Educated
I have a better idea. Improve the offline by letting the player pause the game
You can actually pause the game in Elden Ring if there's no other players connected to you.

All games should have multiplayer.
All classic retro games should have a multiplayer battle royale mode similar to Super Mario Bros. 35 and F-Zero 99.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Quake is and always was overrated game, impressive tech demo for when it was made, but as a game it's fucking boring...and very brown.
Read Masters of Doom and Romero's new book. They talk about its troubled production.

The brown was a result of tech limits. 8 bit colour was all they could process with their engine.
I know, Romero has said that rest of the team were so burnout that they just wanted to put the game out, while (at least according to Romero) he would've wanted to continue working on the game after the engine was done.

Ash

Arcane
Quake is and always was overrated game,

Facts. Engine aside, it's a bit low effort compared to Doom as well as most late 90s competitors. Less music tracks. Less weapons. Less powerups. Less enemy types. Less animation detailing on the weapons. BUT:

impressive tech demo for when it was made, but as a game it's fucking boring...and very brown.

Fake news. It still is saved by the OG Masters of 3D level design (Romero, Peterson, Willits etc). It is saved by core Doom-derived design. It is saved by the focus on 3D, including platforming and mouselook. It is saved by what is there regardless being fairly good (enemy design). The combat in particular is very solid. Not perfect, but better than most shooters. Yeah it's very brown, visually flat and aesthetically unpleasant, they could have done more in that regard too, but the gameplay is solid enough. It doesn't make my top five FPS, that just cannot be at all justified, but top ten or fifteen yes.

Here's all FPS that came out in 1996: https://glitchwave.com/charts/top/game/1996/g:first-person-shooter/

Better combat than all of them. Even the king (Duke Nukem 3D - seminal game but the combat has a few issues of middling importance).
Eh, Brahma Force came out in 1996 and is not on the list. Very good combat in that game too, though again not as good as Quake.

Last edited:

ind33d

Learned
starfield has some of the best dialogue in an RPG. the persuasion minigame and the ability to have your companions talk for you is legitimately really cool

otsego

Cipher
Quake is and always was overrated game, impressive tech demo for when it was made, but as a game it's fucking boring...and very brown.
Read Masters of Doom and Romero's new book. They talk about its troubled production.

The brown was a result of tech limits. 8 bit colour was all they could process with their engine.
Romero's got a book?

Yeah. It was written by his wife though.

Masters of Doom is a good read however, highly recommend.

-M-

Educated
It still is saved by the OG Masters of 3D level design (Romero, Peterson, Willits etc)

Willits is a clear step below the other two.

And I'm not just saying that because he ruined id and all his former coworkers hate him, or all the dumb shit that he spews out of his mouth like inventing deathmatch-only maps or creating all the shareware levels for Quake (he did fewer than half).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
starfield has some of the best dialogue in an RPG. the persuasion minigame and the ability to have your companions talk for you is legitimately really cool
The persuasion mini-game is actually rather good, and it's sad to see people dismiss it just because it's attached to a shitty game.

"WHY CAN'T I SEE THE PERCENTAGES REEE!"
Because then it stops being a game and is just a math problem, you fucking moron.

FA7

Educated
I love Dragon Age: Origins combat, and think it's peak RTwP.
I'm thinking more of simultaneous tb design but with less restricted timeflow ;) So you woul'd retain all good mechanics regarding action costs etc. Yet would still be able to fully take advantage of realtime aka. bigger battles, reacting to what's happening on battlefield and most notable spell interrupts!

Lemming42

Arcane
DA:O combat seems okay, better than most RTWP stuff, but the encounter design is so bad every time that I still genuinely can't tell if the combat's really any good or not after several playthroughs. You can kinda see how it might be fun but any enjoyment is sucked out by the constant trash mob onslaughts.

Falksi

Arcane
DA:O combat seems okay, better than most RTWP stuff, but the encounter design is so bad every time that I still genuinely can't tell if the combat's really any good or not after several playthroughs. You can kinda see how it might be fun but any enjoyment is sucked out by the constant trash mob onslaughts.
You played it on Nightmare chap? I actually find some of those encounters quite good on it. Still some trash to sift through, but there were definitely battles where tactical positioning and environmental elements mattered.

ind33d

Learned
I love Dragon Age: Origins combat, and think it's peak RTwP.
I enjoy every version of D&D and Pathfinder and I just couldn't make heads or tails of Dragon Age. I don't know why

Honestly I think combat in video games should be like Classic Traveller. A THAC0 table plus distance modifiers covers every circumstance

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Everyone fights over TB or RTWP but there's a third option I think is best and it rarely gets done. Fully realtime with balance done by a grown up.

FA7

Educated
The problem is most realtime games strip games from many mechanics to make it more accessible and catter to casual audience. So balance maybe not the most accurate word for it but yeh it would need whole design made from ground up, not just copy paste reiteration of what has been done. Here's some WEGO games I was talking about to chew on.

Last edited:

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There is also serious HP bloat...

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
The problem is most realtime games strip games from many mechanics to make it more accessible and catter to casual audience. So balance maybe not the most accurate word for it but yeh it would need whole design made from ground up, not just copy paste reiteration of what has been done. Here's some WEGO games I was talking about to chew on.

Dominions tho

FA7

Educated
Dominions tho
Not sure what do you mean. Dominions is pure tb. Player can't react to something that is happening during battles. One of it's biggest features is that play by mail thing. It's a fantastic game though.

FA7

Educated

Alan

Educated
People have not yet figured out videogames. They are all varying degrees of bad, except for Braid and The Witness. Jonathan Blow is miles ahead of every other developer because his games are the only meaningful ones.

Role playing and strategy are actually the same thing. That's the answer to the age old question.

Pure puzzle and strategy games are not actually games. They are work. You need something like action, adventure, simulation or multiplayer to make them fun.

Liking videogames is a sure symptom of the mental ill.

n0denz

Novice
'ate Mass Effect
'ate Undertale
'ate Sid Meier's Pirates
Demon's Souls > Dark Souls
Oblivion is the best of TES
Morrowind lore is overrated, Michael Kirkbride is an overrated, pretentious narcissist, and his writing deserves a lot more criticism than it gets
CoD4 > MW2 & MW3
FFVIII wasn't bad
FFTA > FFT
Halo 2 had the best multiplayer
JRPGs aren't RPGs
KOTOR2 > KOTOR
SWTOR was fun
Witcher 1 was the best in the series

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom