Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Alan

Educated
Been playing this game... I don't wanna say anything bad because clearly a lot of effort went into it.

Does the story/writing become good at some point? Caius Cosades just sent me to Fort Buckmoth

Cologno

Educated
Been playing this game... I don't wanna say anything bad because clearly a lot of effort went into it.

Does the story/writing become good at some point? Caius Cosades just sent me to Fort Buckmoth
Writing is serviceable at best, but generic at worst. TBO, it's not the biggest reason to play Morrowind.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Morrowind has an excellent, intricate setting and background story, but it requires some effort from the player at reading and interpreting documents, many of which will be presented to you over the course of the main quest. There are also a few interesting characters with good dialogue, such as Divayth Fyr, Yagrum Bagarn the Last Living Dwarf, and Vivec. However, Morrowind is an exploration-focused game, with story taking a backseat.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Remember the advice Caius gives you.
Try to gain some levels and go join a faction or two, get some quests, raise your skills.
Then continue with the main quest.
And yes, it gets more and more interesting the further you progress through it.

Fargus

Arcane
I remember some american dude streaming this game on steam, he sounded 1 to 1 like young Todd Howard. Maybe his son? He was really bad at the game getting owned by nixhounds etc, but it was fun to watch him struggling.

Fargus

Arcane
I'm a believer that if used right the AI voice acting can enhance the atmosphere, and such mods were posted on previous pages.

But full VA? Not really needed.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The only good voice acting is when it's sparsely used

For example in NwN only important characters are voiced and only the important lines.

Plot characters also had short personalised musical loops when you talk to them. No one did this since IIRC.

thesecret1

Arcane
I like the Morrowind system where only a couple words are voiced, to make the character seem more alive and give him some character. Voicing everything is a pointless waste, as I'm bound to skip half that shit as I've already read the whole thing before the VA is even halfway through.

The only character that deserves to be fully voiced is Dagoth Ur. It's probably because I have seen too many videos of Dagoth Ur reading various copypastas.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I always find myself reading text even in fully voice acted RPGs and just skipping to the next line. I can read much quicker than the spoken dialogue.
Infinity Engine games had the best approach with few specially selected voiced likes and the rest text only.

Also thats why i appreaciated Far Cry 2's really quick spoken dialogue while most people complained characters talked too quickly.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
got curious enough to boot openmw. Its ugly, i guess i had this missconception that its one mod do it all kind of thing.
So I had a quick look on what I need to make it pretty: https://modding-openmw.com/lists/
Are you guyz insane? Do you really install so many mods manually?

Fargus

Arcane
Open MW does it's own thing. Mods are optional. Aside from unofficial patch you can install whatever you like. Or not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom