Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

stabby

Learned
Anyway, it looks like someone is actually working on a translation for the jap Wizardries, specifically "Generation Xth: Code Hazard". It seems to be a PC game too (my jrpg-fu is weak, but that seems kinda unusual). He's apparently looking for playtesters and proofreaders now. If nothing else, the game manual is translated already...

Well damn, this is a good bit of news to start the year. I remember stumbling upon the first blog post a couple of months back when I was taking a stab at exploring the game's innards myself (quick confession: not a coder in the slightest sense), but being a completely cynical git I just passed it off as an idea that just never took off. Granted, I was kind of hoping that 'game manual' meant 'in-game manual', but translated is translated and I hope the motivation is there to go forward and do the game proper.

Lightknight

Liturgist
some games still work as slow as before, or work faster in software mode than in hardware mode
Actually, check around power saving features and try turning them all off, both in Win and BIOS.

Btw all you emufags peobably already know this but pcsx2 has released v1.00
Its on 1.1.0 now.

spekkio

Arcane
ghostdog
i3 has two cores and 4 threads. Looks like this:

8PWON.jpg

Lightknight

Your definition of "full speed" is probably slightly different than mine.

:rpgcodex:

On more serious note: I got really nice speed-up in both emus. Almost everything works as fast as intended (60FPS or 30 FPS in case of some GC games). But some games still suffer from slowdowns, caused by problems related to emulation.
Plus - what ghostdawg wrote: PS2 is a real bitch to emulate, thanks to itz hipster hardware. And PS3 will be 100x worse (not that I care - still less than 10 interesting games).

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
PCSX2 won't be 'complete' from me until Ace Combat 5 is unplayable.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Your definition of "full speed" is probably slightly different than mine.
Wii games play at 40-50 FPS on a P4 dammit ! Brawl IS fullspeed on P4. Thats 12 year old tech. On i3, as long as its one of the "hits" emu-devs concentrated their efforts on, it pretty much is full speed in 3x native. If it isnt - you're doing something wrong.

spekkio

Arcane
To piss poor people off: Zelda - TP (Gamecube version) working on Dolphin 3.5. 800x600 external res (for making this video, I use 1680x1050 to play games :smug:), 2xNative internal res. No AA or other nextgen shit.
Used Fraps (did not affect speed :smug: ) and encoded with Xvid (that's why colors are so shitty - I really have to switch to x264 for my future LPs).

Only one minor slowdown at the end (too much bloom?).

:dance:

*Fake edit: Turned on AA and AF - no impact on speed.

:smug:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Yeah Dolphin runs great. Too bad there are very few games in both GC and Wii that interest me.

Karmapowered

Augur
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance is the only game I (would want to) play on GC (Dolphin).

Does it still have issues with sound/crashing ?
Mebbe am I just using faulty settings/version ?

I am using 3.5 by the way.

Kirtai

Augur
I almost forgot about Dolphin while waiting for Skies of Arcadia and a couple others to be supported. Seems I'll have to see about ripping my discs and a controller adapter.

What magical voodoo do you need to get Dolphin not to perform like shit? Resident Evil couldn't maintain a consistent 30 FPS for me. This is a game that is 95% 2D pre-rendered environments with 2 or 3 characters at a time, and I'm on an i7 2600k.

Every option in the config either gives no improvement or makes things vastly worse, of course.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I got a i7 with a GTX 460 and manage to play Dolphin at regular 60fps, directx11, 3x native at 1080p fullscreen, but no AA or AF...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
ghostdog

You played Eternal Darkness - Sanity's Requiem, I pressume?

Indeed. It was the reason I bothered with dolphin. It was worth it, great little game.

My GC list contains :
Ikagura
MGS: twin snakes
Metroid Prime 1&2
Resident Evil
Skies of Arcadia Legends
Super Mario Sunshine

but frankly I haven't had much of an urge to play any of them.

From Wii I've tried Xenoblade and it was a nice looking game, as afar as gameplay goes it's like a single player MMO, so I got bored of it after a while.

Any must play recommendations ?

spekkio

Arcane
The only Wii game I played (and completed) so far was Muramasa - Demon Blade.
And it was shit.

:(

Still, when I look at PS3/Pita/3DS lineup, older consoles look like beacons of incline.

So, Xenoblade is shit? I'm curious how good is the other "dual-layer" jRPG, The Last Story. Anybody played it? Looks like usual current-gen PS3/X360 japcrap.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Xenoblade was fun to run around and explore for a while, it's a technically impressive game for the wii, but as combat got repetitive and I was bombarded with constant fetch MMO quests while the story was very bland jap fare, I got sick of it.

I'm cautious about the last story due to possibly sucky combat based on moving around the wii dickstick.

spekkio

Arcane
^
User was banned for this post.

And these guys are selling "premium accounts" for PS2 isos?

:lol:

You can grab this shit for free at BG.

:cry:

deuxhero

Arcane
There is a direct download site with PS2 ISOs (it's mostly complete for all platforms. There are a tiny handful of games missing NTSC versions with only PAL like Samurai Western) at pretty high speeds out there with no accounts needed. You will need the bare minimum competence to apply a patch file yourself though.

In on topic news, Tales of Phantasia PS1 patch got released last (the SNES patch had a bunch of shit made up to cover for limited Japanese knowledge and the GBA translation is hit and miss with competence and attached to a crappy port). There's also a Simon's Quest retranslation... to Finnish (???) and Hudson Soft jRPG Legend of Peach Boy (and yet still no Custom Robo V2...) I'm too lazy to link to (so just check Romhacking.net's database)

Machocruz

Arcane
^
User was banned for this post.

And these guys are selling "premium accounts" for PS2 isos?

:lol:

You can grab this shit for free at BG.

:cry:

Uh yeah, forgot this place was an internet forum and stuff...

That thingie was legit though, and you don't need an account to get whatever that thingie was. Seems to run flawlessly on PCSX2, although I never played the retail version. But it's really freaking dark, even with my Brightness turned up and adjusting the contrast, darker than any screenshots I've seen.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
The Last Story is pretty much a gimmicky action rpg...you have cover and stuff.
It could have gone in a nice direction with the spells that leave magic fields of imbuing power but then whenever you use the awesome button you own everything on the screen (it comes in two flavors: mole popping and wall running).

While I personally enjoyed some of the boss battles, the fucking repetitiveness of the normal fights (read easy as fuck) makes it hard to enjoy.

Still shooting bananas at hulking trolls never gets old.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom