Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Team Ninja's Rise of the Ronin

cruel

Cipher
Cat collecting: You can find cats hiding in unexpected places

Ah, I see they've put their development time where it matters the most.

FreshCorpse

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Feels like one of those games where it's impossible to tell if it's going to be good or not. Haven't seen enough of what the open world setup is going to be like. If they've gone Ubisoft-style it's very very unlikely to be good.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Team Ninja should change its name.

Not worthy of the title if they are not capable or not willing to make another Ninja Gaiden game.

I liked what they did with Nioh. But if they are now going to spawn one after another derivation of their inferior work, fuck them.

Team Weeablo.

It's very simple really, open world = shit
General consensus was that Elden Ring was ok.
I don't give a shit about consensus. Elden Ring is the only Souls game I haven't played multiple times after finishing it once. I haven't booted it up a single time since. Its open world elements are undeniably and by far the worst aspects of the game.

I don't give a shit about consensus. Elden Ring is the only Souls game I haven't played multiple times after finishing it once. I haven't booted it up a single time since. Its open world elements are undeniably and by far the worst aspects of the game.

I made a couple of attempts at starting a new character in ER. Last time was about a month ago. This attempt was to be a deciding factor on whether I will be getting the DLC. Figured if I manage to enjoy it again then DLC will be worth getting. I didn't last more than 2 hours, same as previous attempt. Every time I'm in open world trying to figure out where to go next to find some meaningful content I get hit with overwhelming sense of tedium. I will not be bothering with the DLC. Fuck I'd rather replay DS III at this point and I am not a fan of that one either thanks to its garbage combat.

Last edited:

Spike

Educated
Feels like one of those games where it's impossible to tell if it's going to be good or not. Haven't seen enough of what the open world setup is going to be like. If they've gone Ubisoft-style it's very very unlikely to be good.
Not at all. Combat looks good. This game will be good, open world notwithstanding. Open world also be probably handled fine since non-western non-retards are making it.

Suicidal

Arcane
Definitely looks like a more realistic Nioh in terms of combat, but probably with fewer options because there won't be magic, demon transformations, demon skills and etc., although stuff like the grappling hook may compensate for that a little bit. I'm interested in trying the game out, hope it comes out on PC eventually. Open world is a red flag, but if the combat is fun and it's designed like an actual game and not some MMO/mobile abomination like the Ubishit open world Assassin's Creeds, where you fight a group of bandits, and in the next quest you fight the exact same bandits but they are 2 levels higher so they have 4x the amount of health and 2shot you, then I don't think it's a problem.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Team Ninja should change its name.

Not worthy of the title if they are not capable or not willing to make another Ninja Gaiden game.

I liked what they did with Nioh. But if they are now going to spawn one after another derivation of their inferior work, fuck them.

Team Weeablo.
They tried to make another Ninja Gaiden after Cookiegaki left and it was a unbridled disaster. They're lucky they found a new niche and stayed afloat. From Software indirectly saved their ass.

Spike

Educated
I am going to cume so much when I get my hands on this (for PC).

Dodo1610

Arcane

I am going to buy the game just for the fact that it has full melee rifle bayonet combat.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/rise-of-the-ronin/

RISE OF THE RONIN FAQS​

Is there a character creator feature in Rise of the Ronin?
Yes. You can freely customize your character’s visual features, including elements like their face and body shape, hair, voice and more.
Choosing your body type usually means you can play either man or woman. I'm confused didn't they say last year that this game has a fixed protagonist?

911 Jumper

Educated
Reading around and people are commenting on the visuals, saying that it looks like a PS4 game and that they expected better, especially with Sony's XDev helping Team Ninja.

911 Jumper

Educated
Reading around and people are commenting on the visuals, saying that it looks like a PS4 game and that they expected better, especially with Sony's XDev helping Team Ninja.
So basically like every TN game since the first Nioh. What a surprise!
Yep, TN's post NG and DoA games have taken a bit of a hit in the graphics dept, art direction is still great, though.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
So basically like every TN game since the first Nioh. What a surprise!
Yep, TN's post NG and DoA games have taken a bit of a hit in the graphics dept, art direction is still great, though.
I'd say it goes all the way back to DoA 5. I remember that game being visually underwhelming for a late gen ps3 game. The character models were great but everything else looked like dogshit.

911 Jumper

Educated
I'd say it goes all the way back to DoA 5. I remember that game being visually underwhelming for a late gen ps3 game. The character models were great but everything else looked like dogshit.
I agree. The environments lacked the colour and vibrancy of previous DoA entries. A number of DoA 5's stages just looked as if they were pulled from some generic action game. It all just felt lifeless.

DoA6 was a [visual] step up, though. The character models really shine in that game. TN has always excelled in that area.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
I agree. The environments lacked the colour and vibrancy of previous DoA entries. A number of DoA 5's stages just looked as if they were pulled from some generic action game. It all just felt lifeless.

DoA6 was a [visual] step up, though. The character models really shine in that game. TN has always excelled in that area.
I skipped 6 because it looked like they nerfed the T&A at the time. I'm sure they waited for all the gayming journalists to post their reviews before they unleashed all the bikini and bouncing booby DLCs.

911 Jumper

Educated
I skipped 6 because it looked like they nerfed the T&A at the time. I'm sure they waited for all the gayming journalists to post their reviews before they unleashed all the bikini and bouncing booby DLCs.
Based on what I've heard it's a weak game and a step back when compared to DoA5 Ultimate. A lot of the costumes are only available via paid DLC.

I only bought a physical copy because I have all the numbered DoAs and wanted to complete the collection. It's also shot up in price recently and there aren't many copies floating around, so I'm glad I picked it up when I did.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom