Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Sea of Stars - a retro-inspired turn-based RPG

Elthosian

Arcane
Been playing for two hours and it’s niice. I feel like you get to interact with the environment more than in Chained Echoes and the visuals are gorgeous. Music is also 10/10.

Combat is simpler and you don't seem to get even half as many options to customize each character, which was a cool part of Echoes, but I like the timing based elements to keep you engaged. The colored bar in Chained Echoes added some variety but sometimes felt too arbitrary. Also, health not regenerating between battles is a good choice. My only concern is that they make it very clear that you don't have to get the timings right every time and if the difficulty is balanced around not doing them then that might end up trivializing combat. Hope it's not the case but the "training" boss was super easy to beat after getting all the timed button presses right.

Writing is standard as someone said earlier, but nothing jarring thus far. Definitely agree on using ‘cozy’ to define the whole package.

Edit: some more early impressions after continuing to play: the combat feels dynamic despite the lack of customization, the level design of dungeons is overall linear, but there are little puzzles and sidetracking to grab objects the way it would be in the old FF games. The same happens with the world map, it's small and it's clear where you need to go but even in the first three hours you can find a couple of optional locations and spend like 5 minutes on each. There are also some nice minigames that feel much nicer than equivalents in other games and wow the visuals keep delivering. The lighting system is well done and they drew up gorgeous-looking sprites for many items. Playing this close to midnight and seeing those food sprites is painful haha.

Edit2: compared to Chain Echoes the world-building seems a bit more eh, but I'm loving it nonetheless and now after fighting the third boss the difficulty is going up. Had to use almost all of my consumables.

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane

100k units sold on day 1 despite being on the trashy subscription services. Super happy for team and will probably grab a physical copy too when they come out next year.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I'm shocked that this isn't available on GOG. It doesn't have Denuvo, so it will be cracked anyway, so why not offer it DRM-free?

Jinn

Arcane
I feel like you get to interact with the environment more than in Chained Echoes and the visuals are gorgeous
Yeah, as much as I don't want to compare the two, from the little I played of Chained Echoes, the exploration seems much better in this. It doesn't really start to kick off in terms of exploration until you get to Brisk - a town that reminds me quite a bit of earlier towns in Xenogears, actually. Some really top-notch stuff for a JRPG.

In fact, that's where you can find the relics that increase the difficulty, if you so desire.

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane
I feel like you get to interact with the environment more than in Chained Echoes and the visuals are gorgeous
Yeah, as much as I don't want to compare the two, from the little I played of Chained Echoes, the exploration seems much better in this. It doesn't really start to kick off in terms of exploration until you get to Brisk - a town that reminds me quite a bit of earlier towns in Xenogears, actually. Some really top-notch stuff for a JRPG.
My main issue with exploration in Chained Echoes is that it's somewhat formulaic. Aside from some unique monsters (you need to fulfill some cool conditions for them to appear based on intel from the guild), most areas are 3x3 grids of screens with one statue, 3 buried treasures, and some hidden caves. The best exploration comes from finding paths toward chests that you can't reach at first. It's still a great game but if you plan on continuing with it I'd advise against a 100% run where you try to check every nook and cranny, it will get old fast.

I do agree that the comparisons are unfair as Chained Echoes is a 1-person affair while Sea of Stars had like 20 people working on it.

Elthosian

Arcane
Wtf I got this with the OST and it says it's 9 hours. I've noticed the soundtrack is quite varied but did they really record 9 hours of unique themes for this game? 0:

lightbane

Arcane
Writing is standard as someone said earlier, but nothing jarring thus far. Definitely agree on using ‘cozy’ to define the whole package.
How's the writing compared to The Messenger? That one had zoomer-tier bad writing, especially whenever the annoying shopkeeper opened his mouth to tell a story.

Elthosian

Arcane
How's the writing compared to The Messenger? That one had zoomer-tier bad writing, especially whenever the annoying shopkeeper opened his mouth to tell a story.
Didn’t play that one, but I’d say it’s similar to Chained Echoes but with way more typos and grammar errors.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
too many tropes for tropes' sake
the psycho nonplussed reactions of everybody to a kid losing his eye - ok, I guess there'll be timey-wimey shit or he's getting a supereye down the line or some shit if the game's not spending any more time on it, it'd better
I hate not being to do anything about, I hate everybody not giving a shit (the main duo are treating Garl like their favourite shabbos goy, not like a friend)
not cozy at all

why the fuck do the kids need to train in seclusion? and they need to start it the very same night, do they? at least seclude the "academy" to make it make some sense, not just for the sake of "only valid training is monkish seclusion training"; you're in the middle of a town lmao, makes the "headmaster" look like a diddling groomer who doesn't want the word to get out for the duration

mechanically solid, the environments look good, but I'm being put off by the shit setting and writing, it's not doing it right

Elthosian

Arcane
the psycho nonplussed reactions of everybody to a kid losing his eye - ok, I guess there'll be timey-wimey shit or he's getting a supereye down the line or some shit if the game's not spending any more time on it, it'd better
I hate not being to do anything about, I hate everybody not giving a shit (the main duo are treating Garl like their favourite shabbos goy, not like a friend)
not cozy at all

why the fuck do the kids need to train in seclusion? and they need to start it the very same night, do they? at least seclude the "academy" to make it make some sense, not just for the sake of "only valid training is monkish seclusion training"; you're in the middle of a town lmao, makes the "headmaster" look like a diddling groomer who doesn't want the word to get out for the duration

mechanically solid, the environments look good, but I'm being put off by the shit setting and writing, it's not doing it right
That’s the stuff I meant with the world building. Too many small details pile up and prevent you from getting fully immersed in the adventure. My favorite is the merchant showing up right after the cave the protags spent 10 years training to grt thru lol.

Jinn

Arcane
not cozy at all

A lot of this boils down to the villagers being there literally for the sole reason of supporting the cultivation of the Solstice warriors. They are manipulated into believing that is their sole purpose too. It's even alluded to at their departure ceremony by the adult Solstice warriors - basically how it's fucked up that the villagers essentially worship the ground they walk on. I'm sure it'll be expanded on later in the game.

But overall the setting has a very fairy-tale quality to it that doesn't demand a huge amount of logical world building, imo. It's going to be self-referential and poke fun at the tropes of the genre, break the fourth wall, etc..

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
9 hours in, I'm genuinely surprised by how well paced the game is. There's some really excellent platforming with light puzzling to keep things varied and moving forward. I do think the combat is the weakest part of the game, especially when the game repeats the same combat encounters. It doesn't happen too often, but it's noticeable.

Jinn

Arcane
Would highly recommend equipping the Double Edge and Dubious Dare relics as soon as you can get them for anyone who wants to spice up the combat. Since I've done it, encounters - and especially bosses - have become much more of a threat. If you haven't found them yet,
they are sold under the dock near the center of the Brisk beachline.

index.php

Arcane
sfusGjbU_o.png

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
I like how kickstarter backer area is implemented you can ignore it without missing anything (unlike poe where u guess which npc is kickstarter one)
think Im soon done with the game I write mini review probably tomorrow

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I like how kickstarter backer area is implemented you can ignore it without missing anything (unlike poe where u guess which npc is kickstarter one)
think Im soon done with the game I write mini review probably tomorrow

The Kickstarter NPCs in PoE have golden name plates. You can also skip them without missing anything as far as I know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom