Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Jason Liang

Arcane
I actually enjoyed Helman and how the Helmanians, despite mostly living in feudal serfdom (too close to Poland Maxie ?), find hope in the almost cult of personality of a child-empress. It reminded me of The Neverending Story and it made Sheila felt very different than the other princesses Magic, Kouhime and even Lia. She's not a princess, she's a near divine child-empress. Helman certainly did not feel generic to me and felt very distinct from the other parts of the Continent and felt a lot better defined than say Zeth or Leazas. Zeth in Rance 6 was almost entirely defined by the political/ class struggle. The only real characteristic parts were the Maginot Line and the Capital. I know it's supposed to be a weird mix of India and France but its hard to visualize.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Zeth in Rance 6 was almost entirely defined by the political/ class struggle. The only real characteristic parts were the Maginot Line and the Capital. I know it's supposed to be a weird mix of India and France but its hard to visualize.
I think Zeth is by far the best realized nation on the continent. They've got their distinct french clothing, class system, magitech stuff. And throughout R6 you also visit various gladiator arenas, mansions, slums, ethnically cleansed villages, churches, museum, bank... The game even has things like "how do poor people handle funerary rites". All this makes Zeth feel really fleshed out to me, especially in comparison to say Leazas (generic european fantasy kingdom) or helman (generic hardy northerners).

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
RanceTshirt_product_l.jpg

Pretty cheeky of MG to sell merch for a game that isn't even out yet.

Longes

Augur
RanceTshirt_product_l.jpg

Pretty cheeky of MG to sell merch for a game that isn't even out yet.
I'd say it's pretty cheeky of MG to assume the average jRPG fan fits into a size L shirt. Make bigger shirts you assholes!

Longes

Augur
Despite some life-inflicted interruptions, the let's play continues. I am now on Day 2! And I've improved my sound quality.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Hello,
I've been contemplating about trying out these games for some time. I heard that they have garnered such renown in no small part thanks to their rich story and TRPG/SRPG systems and mechanics, is that true, or it's primarily for fap content? Is Rance 01 + 02 (remake) a good starting point?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Hello,
I've been contemplating about trying out these games for some time. I heard that they have garnered such renown in no small part thanks to their rich story and TRPG/SRPG mechanics, is that true, or it's primarily for fap content? Is Rance 01 + 02 (remake) a good starting point?
there's plenty of behind the scenes worldbuilding which rivals non-H rpgs effortlessly, but you have to remember two things
1. most every Rance game has slightly-to-radically different playstyle, so you should really search by genre, rather than some plot continuity
2. it would be a ridiculous lie that Rance is War & Peace with fucking - the hero himself is a sex-crazed maniac who most often doesn't give a shit about anything else than fucking some cute unattainable girl he eventually attains
I'd argue you can pick up any game and you will piece together what's the series about. 01 is alright-ish though very short, and 02 is simply not a good game. most people have started from Sengoku Rance (Rance 7), though nowadays you also have the leisure of starting from Rance VI as well. Rance Quest (Rance 8) relies on references a little too much to be a good starting point, and Rance X is the grand finale.

Terra

Cipher
Rance 01 won't hook you like Sengoku will. I went R7>6>5>1>2>3>4>4.1>4.2>8>9 which certainly isn't optimal from a continuity perspective but I think 6 & 7 are the games that'll best determine if you'd enjoy the series as a whole. R7 has fun gameplay and R6 has a pretty good story, 8 is very dependant on having played the past games if you want the most out of it. But on the whole, no, you won't be playing Rance for the fap content, ironically enough.

Endemic

Arcane
Rance 01 won't hook you like Sengoku will. I went R7>6>5>1>2>3>4>4.1>4.2>8>9 which certainly isn't optimal from a continuity perspective but I think 6 & 7 are the games that'll best determine if you'd enjoy the series as a whole. R7 has fun gameplay and R6 has a pretty good story, 8 is very dependant on having played the past games if you want the most out of it. But on the whole, no, you won't be playing Rance for the fap content, ironically enough.

The "Rape the diviner girl" meme never gets old, though. :P

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Hello,
I've been contemplating about trying out these games for some time. I heard that they have garnered such renown in no small part thanks to their rich story and TRPG/SRPG systems and mechanics, is that true, or it's primarily for fap content? Is Rance 01 + 02 (remake) a good starting point?
You can start with 01 if you want. I think it's kinda underrated. But it probably won't grab you the way sengoku will. My loose recommendation for order is:
sengoku -> 01 -> 02 -> 6 -> * -> quest -> 9 -> X.
* is placeholder for whichever of III,4,5D, 4.1,4.2 you can stomach. When 03 releases in english It'll go in there as a proper recommendation.

This order is pretty cool because it starts and ends with the two best games in the series (and they are really good games). Although admittedly the * is a bit concentrated in badness.
Quest and X are by far the most canon heavy games, so the more of the previous games you've played the more you're likely to appreciate them.

Jason Liang

Arcane
01 is a remake of the original Rance 1: The Quest for Hikari, but it's still very crude in terms of gameplay, puzzles, plot, writing and humor. It has a good chance of turning someone off the series which would be a shame since it doesn't really represent what makes the later games great. 02 on the other hand wont blow anyone's socks off but at least it's very short, simple, easy and actually is kind of essential for the plot of the rest of the games in the series (with the exception of Sengoku Rance which is mostly standalone).

The order I would recommend is
- Sengoku Rance (which is actually an outlier for many reasons in this series but at least it gives you an idea if you'll love, like or hate these games)
- Rance 02 (it's very short and keep in mind this is a 14 year old remaster of a 33 year old game from 1990)
- Rance III - it has a primitive gui but it's also short. if you truly can't stand playing a game this old, skip directly to Kichikuou Rance
- Rance IV, if you could stomach Rance III
- Kichikuou Rance - The first great game of the series and the one closest to Sengoku Rance in concept (and far grander in plot and direction, but not in gameplay). Could play this first or directly following Sengoku, but it is more meaningful if you've played 02 and III beforehand.
- Rance 5D - 5D is short and interesting, and there's no reason not to play 5D before 6, since the characters introduced in 5D are prominent in 6 and later games.
- Rance 6 - The best story of the series and the second of the four must-play masterpieces of the series
- Rance 01
- Rance Quest
- Rance 9 - Probably the most polarizing game of the series. The gameplay is functional but not exceptional and to many fans disappointing.
- Rance X - The last of the masterpiece games. It's the Endgame of the series, and in a way not even Sengoku Rance can compare to the end of the journey.

As for Sengoku Rance I will say that while yes it's pretty much the clear first game of the series to play-
- It's far more rauchy, horny, lewd and rapey than any other game in the series
- It's plot is kind of mediocre compared to the top games of the series (KR, 6, X and even Rance Quest)
- It actually doesn't have many of the best characters in the series
- In case I forget to say it, Sengoku Rance is brilliant and by far the most brilliant game in the series, even compared to the 3 other masterpieces

Last edited:

Longes

Augur
I dunno. I really like Rance 01 and would definitely recommend playing it. Rance 02 introduces important characters, but it's so boring that it feels like it's centuries longer than 01.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I dunno. I really like Rance 01 and would definitely recommend playing it. Rance 02 introduces important characters, but it's so boring that it feels like it's centuries longer than 01.
Yes. I actually really like 01 in a "simple flash game" kind of way. The gameplay has just enough novelty, depth and length to be enjoyable whole way through, unlike LITERALLY EVERY OTHER rance game except for sengoku and X.

And since Jason Liang taunts me by not even including 01 in his order, I must criticize.
Kichikuou Rance - The first great game of the series and the one closest to Sengoku Rance in concept (and far grander in plot and direction, but not in gameplay). Could play this first or directly following Sengoku, but it is more meaningful if you've played 02 and III beforehand.
this game isn't even canon any more! But yeah, I'll grudgingly allow since everyone says the sequels make a lot of fun of it. But I also don't like it because by this argument you should play the original 1 2 and 3 to truly appreciate the remakes.
5D is short and interesting, and there's no reason not to play 5D before 6
On the contrary, there is no reason to play 5D at all when 6 exists, because every character introduced in 5D gets a BETTER introduction in 6.
It actually doesn't have many of the best characters in the series
It introduces kenshin and has best portrayal of Urza and Leila. You're just upset cus shizuka isn't in it. Also the fact that it has few returning characters it what makes it a good entrypoint to the series.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Yes. I actually really like 01 in a "simple flash game" kind of way. The gameplay has just enough novelty, depth and length to be enjoyable whole way through, unlike LITERALLY EVERY OTHER rance game except for sengoku and X.

And since Jason Liang taunts me by not even including 01 in his order, I must criticize.
Fixed! I was planning to put 01 between IX and X. Or maybe before Rance Quest but off the top of my head Yulange (oh and Hikari) are the only recruits exclusively from I/01.

It introduces kenshin and has best portrayal of Urza and Leila. You're just upset cus shizuka isn't in it. Also the fact that it has few returning characters it what makes it a good entrypoint to the series.
Nah. 6 is Uruza's game. Shizuka is kind of in SR, just the least interesting Shizuka. SR has no Athena, no Rick, no Gandhi, no Patton, no Lia, no Copa, no Nagi, no Crook, no Reset, no Maris, no Feliss, no Am, no Anise, no Pastel, no Papaya. Being sandwiched between 6 and Rance Quest really highlights this deficiency.

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
do y'all sincerely think Urza was a good character
I must admit I hate the everliving fuck out of her 'wheelchair-bound due to PTSD' gimmick, even though I otherwise enjoy R6 probably the most

Longes

Augur
I must admit I hate the everliving fuck out of her 'wheelchair-bound due to PTSD' gimmick, even though I otherwise enjoy R6 probably the most
I liked Urza, I didn't like the resolution for her and how her legs healed. It'd make much more sense if she got over trauma because she hated Rance enough to take action, than Rance being a positive figure in her life after he repeatedly assaulted her and radicalized her civil rights group.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
6 is Uruza's game
Insert picture here of Virgin 6/X Urza being mocked by GIGACHAD sengoku Urza.
Uruza is CHADly in every game she's in except Rance Quest.
Nah. In 6 she's wheelchair bound until the very end at which point she is a medicore unit in a single mission, in sengoku she is top 6 best units in the game in both army and dungeon battle, in quest she is iirc a fine but entirely mediocre tactician (I can't remember that any of the tacticians stand out or are particularly worth fielding) and in X she has incredibly niche moves and low stat gain so you pretty much never want to field her.
I like Urza, but it is an interesting question if I would if I'd seen her in 6 first.

thesecret1

Arcane
Couldn't stand her. Both for her gimmick and for her activism

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom