Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Physical Media/Brick & Mortar Stores

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Check out Walmart (well this one). Movies section sucked. Gaming?

Er...
9RzJL1g.jpg

That's it for PC. A little more for consoles. PC GAMING AT ITS FINEST BABY!

StrongBelwas

Cipher
Patron
Seriously, what were you expecting? Hell Sniper/Spongebob/Jedi being on the shelves is better then I would expect.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
You went to the PC section of them all? Seriously? And were trying to make some kind of point? I can't even remember the last time I saw a build somewhere with a DVD drive. Physical has been virtually dead on PC for like three generations now.

The Decline

Arcane
Unless you can install and play those without going online I don't see the point. Might as well replace that section with Steam cards.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hmmm.... next time I'll pick a few up and test that theory. I bet I know where tgat elf put the hidden object.

Oh elves.... you so thirsty. I thought about some mindless Jewel quest bug probably find it online free.

Unless you can install and play those without going online I don't see the point. Might as well replace that section with Steam cards.
A lot of physical PC games just contain a Steam code with nothing actually on the blank DVD disk.
That's all physical PC games at this point. If they don't, they just download like half of the game and the rest is downloaded via Steam.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And a dude told me a decade ago or so it'd never happen. He said PC will be strong and gamestores b/m will be bountiful. Same claim about consoles. I guess thry are still strong physical media but seeing latest xbox/ps5 where getting the disc version was extra cost shows physical media is going bye bye more and more.

(Shrugs)

Hold onto your players and consoles then. Keep em working. The CyberReaper will rape your soul as it reaps them away.

Even in the console landscape a majority (between 60 and 70% iirc) of game purchases are digital. Sony's business and marketing divisions probably had this data in mind when they released a digital only, no disk drive PS5.

just

Liturgist
theres ancient aliens the game
buy that one and report

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh! You reading my fucking mind? I raised an eyebrow at that one.

Physical walmart copy )$10.92 + digital copy. Well.. well.. well.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Build colossal pyramids to discover the secrets that lie within.[/url]

Uh..... if I built them then I'd know the fucking secrets derpity derp derp derp! What, we get a History detectives video to play?

lycanwarrior

Scholar

BEST BUY IS EXITING THE PHYSICAL MEDIA BUSINESS FOR GOOD IN 2024:​

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/101223-1100

The Digital Bits has learned from industry sources—and we’ve confirmed it with multiple sources now—that Best Buy plans to exit the physical media business for good next year, possibly as soon as the end of Q1 2024.

This includes not just their in-store Blu-ray, DVD, and 4K Ultra HD sales, which the retailer has been gradually phasing out for a couple of years now in their many store locations nationwide, but online sales as well. This means no more Best Buy-exclusive Steelbook titles, and no more titles from Best Buy period.

911 Jumper

Learned
lol, this is why I've been building up my dvd collection over the last few years. Super cheap and I can watch them as many times as I want 100% offline with zero adverts.

Ezekiel

Arcane
lol, this is why I've been building up my dvd collection over the last few years. Super cheap and I can watch them as many times as I want 100% offline with zero adverts.
It's weird to me that still so many DVDs are being released. Why is there a DVD for Top Gun: Maverick? Or John Wick: Chapter 4? People still really like 480i that much? I still watch and occasionally buy DVDs as well, but usually those are shows and movies not available on higher formats or ruined on higher formats.

911 Jumper

Learned
It's weird to me that still so many DVDs are being released. Why is there a DVD for Top Gun: Maverick? Or John Wick: Chapter 4? People still really like 480i that much? I still watch and occasionally buy DVDs as well, but usually those are shows and movies not available on higher formats or ruined on higher formats.
Surprises me too. I think it's because there are so many devices that can play them, so the audience is larger. DVD quality is good enough for me. For me price and just having a physical copy are far more important. All digital / streaming future isn't looking so good.

Price is cheaper for DVDs, especially for rarer/older titles, sometimes up to half the price. If you're not a graphics fag, you don't care about the res, especially true if you don't have a super modern TV setup. I don't care personally, I grew up on VHS and watch movies for their story content first, visuals second. Greater res is better, but not essential. As said above, a physical copy is the most important thing though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom