Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nintendo Switch, the only console today making games which are games

J1M

Arcane
I bought it for Metroid Prime 4 which turned out to be a giant scam. I also like the hardware. Pity it only has one game worth playing.
Golf Story?
Zelda was also enjoyable if you can survive the terrible and slow cutscene writing. Only game that has ever made me throw a controller.

3 others

Scholar
Are Switch games ever on sale? Thinking of buying this to play with my kids but I'm so spoiled for constant -85% OFF PC gayming discounts that I can't imagine paying full price for the Overcooked!s of the world.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
You can always look at the Nintendo Shop (Nintendo Store? Can't remember) from your PC, discounted games are listed there.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are Switch games ever on sale? Thinking of buying this to play with my kids but I'm so spoiled for constant -85% OFF PC gayming discounts that I can't imagine paying full price for the Overcooked!s of the world.
First party games don't go on sale often (physical), but they sometimes have digital sales.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
In the case of Nintendo physicals you have to remember they're perfectly resellable, in fact I've never paid more than forty bucks for a non-premiere and often much less

J1M

Arcane
There is some sort of scam Nintendo is running where you can buy "coupons" that can be redeemed for certain games at a discounted price. But you must sign up for their online service first.

I assume this wankery is to avoid a lawsuit for undercutting retailers.

Kjaska

Arbeiter
Patron
Insert Title Here
I got the 2 vouchers for the new Zelda and now am thinking on what to spend the other one on. Any hype games coming out in the next 12 months?

Out of the existing catalogue I was thinking maybe Animal Crossing or one of Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors. Any other suggestions?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Mario meets Eversion.
Never played Eversion(dont even know what that is) but judging by that video, it looks like a good platform game(that new mario game, that is).

People love to talk shit about Nintendo here and call those who like their games "manchild", but the truth is, they're pretty much the only big company still making actual games instead of interactive movies and are always trying to bring something new in terms of game mechanics.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
People love to talk shit about Nintendo here and call those who like their games "manchild", but the truth is, they're pretty much the only big company still making actual games instead of interactive movies and are always trying to bring something new in terms of game mechanics.
The only somewhat understandable criticism of Nintendo is that they reuse the age old franchises and cram different genres/games into them, instead of creating thematically and visually consistent universes and original IPs. Would Super Mario Galaxy have been an objectively better game (and better received by both the critics and the gamers alike) if the main character was Laika and the game had a cell shaded style that manages to translate Leonid Shvartsman's art to 3D successfully? Absolutely so, but the game would sell abysmally compared to a mainline Mario title.

However, if you compare it to most other IPs and series, you will see that nowadays that kind of a reproval doesn't make much sense anymore - Assassin's Creed, God of War, Uncharted and let's not forget Call of Duty - all of those series have racked a huge amount of games that usually don't offer that much improvement and change in several titles even when compared to a single Nintendo title. Completely new IPs aren't really that much better since most of them are nothing but inferior rip-offs of their spiritual successors (regardless if we talk about the kickstarter/indie or the mainstream/AAA parts of the industry).

That being said, I'm disappointed in the looks of the new Mario RPG remake - looks too unambitious and sterile for my taste. Glad they stuck to the turn-based instead of going the SquareEnix route with FF and simply aping the Tales of actiony combat system. Still, in my opinion, they could have matched it with better production values. The new 2D Super Bros is the opposite, looks great, fluid and unique while having its own original character. Fits nicely between the older more bland New Super Mario Bros. titles and artistically superior Yoshi's Woolly World games.

lightbane

Arcane
Never played Eversion(dont even know what that
A platforming game where you use a distort reality ability to alter the level and progress. Things change from trippy to weird to outright Lovecraftian, as the fabric of reality gets weaker and weaker and things from the outside start creeping in.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
That being said, I'm disappointed in the looks of the new Mario RPG remake - looks too unambitious and sterile for my taste. Glad they stuck to the turn-based instead of going the SquareEnix route with FF and simply aping the Tales of actiony combat system. Still, in my opinion, they could have matched it with better production values. The new 2D Super Bros is the opposite, looks great, fluid and unique while having its own original character. Fits nicely between the older more bland New Super Mario Bros. titles and artistically superior Yoshi's Woolly World games.
I kinda liked the New Mario RPG. Looks like a 1:1 remake with updated graphics. Good enough to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom