Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry New japanese Wizardry games in the making

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Are they official Wizardy games that are licenses by Sir-tech or some shit or something?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKING
NIPS

Trithne

Erudite
Not everything the Japanese make is big hair, bigger swords and spunky teenagers saving the world. They like traditional fantasy dungeon crawlers just as much as we do.

Trithne said:
Not everything the Japanese make is big hair, bigger swords and spunky teenagers saving the world. They like traditional fantasy dungeon crawlers just as much as we do.
It's not true Wizardry.

ElectricOtter

sportforredneck said:
Trithne said:
It's not true Wizardry.

Shannow

Waster of Time
MetalCraze said:
And? Again what will stop them from raping the shit out of Wizardry with retarded jap "art" and story?
Ah, OK. Hating Japs like Volly loves Bio. Good, just wanted to be clear on that.

jefklak

Scholar
POOPERSCOOPER said:
Are they official Wizardy games that are licenses by Sir-tech or some shit or something?

What? Please don't tear open old wounds...
And I hate it when everybody talks about Wizardry I like it was some kind of jap shit, which it wasn't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry:_ ... d_Overlord
The jappies just imitated everything, combined with a little ultima sauce, to create DQ and FF and every other bleh game.

Funny to see a screenshot I've taken myself posted here, BTW.

jefklak

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
Jefklak is back!
Haven't seen you in here for a long time.

Yeah I'm bored and I'm at work so... Hehe.
It seems you became quite the poster my friend. All is well here, I suppose?
You do know that I feel obligated to post in every Wizardry-related thread.

Edit: I'm obviously trying to ignore Admiral jimbob's rambling as I might get caught not having played any of the jap half-assed Wiz games at all.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tales of the Forsaken Land was not Wizardry 9, but it WAS a bad ass Wizardry. I would even say it was equal to if not better than Wizardry 8. Don't get me wrong, I loved Wizardry 8, but Tales of the Forsaken Land comes close to RPG perfection. The game had damn near the best combat I've ever seen, and coupled it with an unheard of excellence in writing, dungeon design, and party customization. It is truly a masterpiece, and I feel sorry for any fan of the genre who didn't play it. Oh well, that's what some of you get for automatically dismissing Japanese console games.

obediah

Erudite
LeStryfe79 said:
Tales of the Forsaken Land was not Wizardry 9, but it WAS a bad ass Wizardry. I would even say it was equal to if not better than Wizardry 8. Don't get me wrong, I loved Wizardry 8, but Tales of the Forsaken Land comes close to RPG perfection. The game had damn near the best combat I've ever seen, and coupled it with an unheard of excellence in writing, dungeon design, and party customization. It is truly a masterpiece, and I feel sorry for any fan of the genre who didn't play it. Oh well, that's what some of you get for automatically dismissing Japanese console games.

I'm not sure it is that bonerific, but it had my two favorite Wizardy things:

1) A brutal start.

2) Just when you think your party is ueber and you cruise around the dungeon for a few hours, the game fucks you out of nowhere and hard, and you lose two hours of progress.

I was slow to embrace the special group commands, but they added a nice layer of party building.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So did the Jap Wizardry come out on the PC or only on consoles, and, if the latter, did it come out on anything for which emulators exist?

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It only came out on PS2 and I found the difficulty to be about perfect. Whether you agree or not with my previous statements is a matter of taste. However, I admit that I originally quit the game after only an hour. I thought it was too Japanese and nothing like classic Wizardry. Fortunately, upon a second attempt, the pure genius of the game became all too apparent to me. It's without a doubt the best example of Eastern and Western influences combining into a better whole. This son of a bitch does 90% of everything right, and I'm being extremely harsh with my estimate here. Trust me when I say it's Godly. My brother is a huge fan of crpgs, while my best friend is a jrpg zealot...And, yet, both of them consider "Tales" to be among the best RPGs they've ever played. All three of us experienced the game in entirely different ways too. NPCs, Side Quests, Play Style, and Party are entirely flexible, and they all work within the framework of a great story. Don't make the mistake of taking this beast too lightly...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom