Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mortal: The Simulation Video Game

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
Most of us make vaporware roguelikes because they can be made and finished by one person in a reasonable amount of time (10 years), not because we're lacking guidance from a supergenius and his AAAAA document.
10 years with not even a dream of income. 10 years of working alone. 10 years of believing 10 years to create a waste of time is reasonable. I have some advice, try to be a painter. Less time wasted, the waste of time will still be a waste of time.
The 10 years part was a joke. The point is that your offer doesn't actually offer anything except having someone work on your dream instead of theirs in exchange for a promise that you'll get paid if it makes money. Nobody is going to spend months/years of their life on something on the basis of "trust me bro".

If you had a verifiable record of marketing and selling a product to a substantial number of people maybe someone would take you seriously. Then again, if you had that, you'd probably have enough money to just hire people to make your game.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I wish I received a good luck from those two. I agree. Although... Did you note I have the blueprint for the hoverboard? It is prose and not code, don't get me wrong, I know that. It is easier for a programmer to code something that he understands through reading the spoken word. Why? Because the programmer does not need to spend time on creating the idea, he or she gets straight to coding.

I wish you luck man, I was just breaking balls a little. Hopefully you will get a team & funding and make lots of money. What I do know from my job however is that is the hard part in most cases. Ideas are plentiful, cash is not. But maybe you will surprise us!

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Posted in the order these occurred in the thread.

Best of luck in your endeavours, Gahbreeil. Be sure to share when your project starts to become a reality, I look forward to having my socks blown off some day.
Well, well, how interesting.

Because you have not read the bloody document.
Big ask when you don't even read posts.

For some reason I am really reminded of this particular video, I highly recommend you watch it, it's relevant.
I wish I received a good luck from those two.
See above.

Just because I think you're out of your fucking gourd doesn't mean I want you to fail. I'd love nothing more than to have someone realize their dreams and make a great game for people to enjoy.

I just don't particularly see how you're even going to make step 1 down this road since you like to rail against anyone that offers feedback beyond, "Nice word doc, bro. Good luck, it already changed my life. ... Yes, I totally read it." It's not generally an attitude that leads to success in anything unless you have a boatload of cash to throw at problems, which you've already said you don't and can't/won't generate.

Gahbreeil

Learned
mediocrepoet - Well, well, how interesting./Big ask when you don't even read posts./See above. Just because I think you're out of your fucking gourd doesn't mean I want you to fail. I'd love nothing more than to have someone realize their dreams and make a great game for people to enjoy. I just don't particularly see how you're even going to make step 1 down this road since you like to rail against anyone that offers feedback beyond, "Nice word doc, bro. Good luck, it already changed my life. ... Yes, I totally read it." It's not generally an attitude that leads to success in anything unless you have a boatload of cash to throw at problems, which you've already said you don't and can't/won't generate.

What in the seven hells of Baator are you talking about? "Nice word doc, bro." Is this quote supposed to be actual feedback on a 27 page long document? No comments about any part of the document? "Good luck, it already changed my life." What is this quote even about? Dude, if I'm railing against everyone offering feedback the sort of "Good luck, bro!" and "EDIT: I will personally send you some funds if any of the PFO letters make me laugh." then I am clearly trying to keep the thread on track. Whatever are you going on about when you write down that you would like to laugh at me trying to contact developers/publishers and then writing down "Big ask when you don't even read posts.". I do, the problem is you're clueless as to what the thread is about.

Darkwind - I wish you luck man, I was just breaking balls a little. Hopefully you will get a team & funding and make lots of money. What I do know from my job however is that is the hard part in most cases. Ideas are plentiful, cash is not. But maybe you will surprise us!

Thank you. I hope to find people who read the actual document in order to understand the thread right now. Then, maybe, I will receive some feedback about the actual ideas I have for a video game. Instead of claiming I'm a crook and looking for a handout in terms of either money or work. Since ideas are plentiful, it must mean it does not take long to have a few. Maybe the point of this thread is to read the ideas of other Codex users? Who knows by this point.

Justinian - The 10 years part was a joke. The point is that your offer doesn't actually offer anything except having someone work on your dream instead of theirs in exchange for a promise that you'll get paid if it makes money. Nobody is going to spend months/years of their life on something on the basis of "trust me bro".

"Trust me, bro." is not even a thing, I want someone to read the document and then tell me whether they would like to help out. There is no plea for trust either way here. Why, in the seven hells of Baator, would anyone spend months/years on coding a vaporware roguelike clone/hack video game that does not offer any income nor pride over the project, ever?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
Start making the game yourself, get a decent proof of concept made, and if it's good enough other programmers will join your team. I only see two paths for you to make this game:
1. Learn how to code
or
2. Spend lots of money

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
"Trust me, bro." is not even a thing, I want someone to read the document and then tell me whether they would like to help out. There is no plea for trust either way here. Why, in the seven hells of Baator, would anyone spend months/years on coding a vaporware roguelike clone/hack video game that does not offer any income nor pride over the project, ever?
Because we all think it will go viral and make us rich. It probably won't. No different from how you think your game will somehow be a success even though it probably won't even get made. Also it is 100% trust me bro. Reading the document says nothing about whether it actually will be successful or not. That's the "trust me bro". "My game is good bro trust me bro if we make it it will sell like crazy bro and we'll be the next Bioware Doctors bro."

The other problem you have is that many, if not most of us are programmers by necessity. I don't want to code games or make sprites, I do it because nobody will do it for me. Only way I'd jump on another program is if I was allowed to do systems content/design which is what I actually want to do. And you can't make a game with 2 guys who want to design, 3 guys who want to write, and 0 guys who want to do graphics/programming.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Because we all think it will go viral and make us rich. It probably won't. No different from how you think your game will somehow be a success even though it probably won't even get made.

The other problem you have is that many, if not most of us are programmers by necessity. I don't want to code games or make sprites, I do it because nobody will do it for me. Only way I'd jump on another program is if I was allowed to do systems content/design which is what I actually want to do. And you can't make a game with 2 guys who want to design, 3 guys who want to write, and 0 guys who want to do graphics/programming.
There's a brighter future in looking for a janitorial position at a video game dev studio. Some people code for a living or for fun, those are the only people I ask to do coding for me. Can you see how it's less work for a programmer not to design? Especially a plot and dialogues which will be of poor quality compared to a full time writers.
Start making the game yourself, get a decent proof of concept made, and if it's good enough other programmers will join your team. I only see two paths for you to make this game:
1. Learn how to code
or
2. Spend lots of money
Well, what if I decide that my video game project is actually based off of my book? I have decent proof of concept in form of an artwork and a map. As well as a plot, setting and many believable and realistic characters whom the reader might either like or dislike for the personalities said characters represent. I have a 90% finished TTRPG already in the video game project. The only thing missing is the exact list of skills and occupations/jobs.

Teach me how to code if you don't know how to answer me in a constructive way. I am not insinuating nor suggesting that you cannot.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
We are giving you constructive advice. Your game is not gonna get made the way you think it will. Literally every game forum has idea guys show up trying to persuade others to do the coding for them. I've never seen it work. You can learn to code yourself (it's not even that hard with all the tools available today). You can pay someone to code for you. You can finish your tabletop rpg, sell that and use the audience to bankroll a kickstarter. You can try to bankroll a kickstarter now & make money to pay people to code. But nobody is going to come code for you because you told them their projects are shit and working on them is like being a janitor at Obsidian.

Gahbreeil

Learned
We are giving you constructive advice. Your game is not gonna get made the way you think it will. Literally every game forum has idea guys show up trying to persuade others to do the coding for them. I've never seen it work. You can learn to code yourself (it's not even that hard with all the tools available today). You can pay someone to code for you. You can finish your tabletop rpg, sell that and use the audience to bankroll a kickstarter. You can try to bankroll a kickstarter now & make money to pay people to code. But nobody is going to come code for you because you told them their projects are shit and working on them is like being a janitor at Obsidian.
Justin, you're breaking my balls here. It's money, money, money with you. And all I'm interested in is game, game, game.

I said it would be better to work as a janitor than to work on your own project. I never wrote anyone's project is shit, I wrote that the merit of a clone/hack is lesser than that of a game that does not infringe on copyrights and is fully novel.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
It's money with me because I don't want to live in a tent under a bridge. Neither does anyone else. It's all you you you with you. Nobody cares. People are interested in what you offer to them and you're not offering anything appealing.

Let us know when your game finally gets made by the army of programmer-slaves you wrangled out of dislodging the pipes in Feargus Urquhart's industrial strength throne-toilet.

Victor1234

Educated
You dudes are so easy to bait. This is probably the third almost-the-same-game he's pitched on here and the reactions have always been the same. He's never going to learn.

RIP Sorcerer v0.2, Best Game Ever Thought Of (TM) :salute:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/sorcerer-simulation-of-life-in-a-fantasy-setting.140310/

Now do the right thing, go over to the Total War-like Formation Tactics thread nearby, watch the damn videos and give that man some feedback.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
You dudes are so easy to bait. This is probably the third almost-the-same-game he's pitched on here and the reactions have always been the same. He's never going to learn.

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/sorcerer-simulation-of-life-in-a-fantasy-setting.140310/

Now do the right thing, go over to the Total War-like Formation Tactics thread nearby, watch the damn videos and give that man some feedback.

Oh wow I didn't realize he was making another game. I look forward to playing it in 2024 and if it's good I might contribute to the one in this thread. Gahbreeil do you have any screen shots of Sorcerer?

mediocrepoet

Patron

Oh wow I didn't realize he was making another game. I look forward to playing it in 2024 and if it's good I might contribute to the one in this thread. Gahbreeil do you have any screen shots of Sorcerer?
He clearly states four years, so that'd be 2025. Unless you had assumed that the crack team he assembled for it would surely be a year ahead of schedule.

I actually didn't know about Sorcerer, I knew about the one before it that was alluded to I think. It's hard to keep track of all the retardation that passes through these halls. I figured maybe this time he was serious, but I guess not. We just don't appreciate his incredible prowess and intellect as a self published author.

Hey Gahbreeil have you considered trying to crowdfund with this pitch? Throw your 30 page or whatever document up on Kickstarter or the like and see how much money and interest comes pouring in for, "I have this great idea! I just need funds to assemble a team!" Be sure to link the page here.

Victor1234

Educated
He is getting serious about how to (possibly) pay his employees (what he thinks they deserve) at least. Naturally, should the game be a huge success, the profits would go into his wallet alone.

Essentially, making my video game on Unity means money for all people under my supervision through Kickstarter or Patreon. I would possibly skip paying myself in order to give money to the programmers so that they can work on the project more. After the game would be finished, I would pay everyone monthly wages/contract payments based on how much was earned and how much they have worked. The rest of the earnings would go into my wallet.

Future employees incentivized, check! Big business brain mode, on :smug:

Gahbreeil

Learned
It's money with me because I don't want to live in a tent under a bridge. Neither does anyone else. It's all you you you with you. Nobody cares. People are interested in what you offer to them and you're not offering anything appealing.

Let us know when your game finally gets made by the army of programmer-slaves you wrangled out of dislodging the pipes in Feargus Urquhart's industrial strength throne-toilet.
I'll only reply to this one because the trolling is getting thick.

You don't want to live in a tent under a bridge yet you're ready to spend 10 years on your own pet project? Doesn't it cost you through electric and internet bills? Doesn't it mean that you're not working and earning money when you're creating you're pet project?

You don't want to live in a tent under a bridge yet you're ready to spend 10 years on your own pet project? Doesn't it cost you through electric and internet bills? Doesn't it mean that you're not working and earning money when you're creating you're pet project?
Maybe that's because making something you want to make has value in and of itself, so it's worth the sacrifice, while making something for someone else has no inherent value and thus requires some sort of compensation?

Justinian

Arcane
Developer

My own pet project will also bring in sales, and I get to keep all of the profit. There's 0 guarantee, or even reason to believe anything you create will bring in more money than some random roguelike one of us made. Also, again, the 10 years was a joke. My first game would have taken a few months to complete by the time I release it (hopefully next month). If it doesn't work out I'll get a job with guaranteed pay and keep making games until one of them hits the jackpot. Given how well recruitment went for your last game I'll probably have 2-3 additional games out before you decide to try this failed strategy again with a new game.

The irony is that in all this time you wasted waiting for someone to code for you, you could've just learned how to code yourself and made a less ambitious but fun game in GMK or RPG Maker to start building an audience.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Maybe that's because making something you want to make has value in and of itself, so it's worth the sacrifice, while making something for someone else has no inherent value and thus requires some sort of compensation?
Your claim that a project written by a professional is not worth the sacrifice that the project written by an amateur is worth is a light bulb set alight for me. Now, I understand.
My own pet project will also bring in sales, and I get to keep all of the profit. There's 0 guarantee, or even reason to believe anything you create will bring in more money than some random roguelike one of us made. Also, again, the 10 years was a joke. My first game would have taken a few months to complete by the time I release it (hopefully next month). If it doesn't work out I'll get a job with guaranteed pay and keep making games until one of them hits the jackpot. Given how well recruitment went for your last game I'll probably have 2-3 additional games out before you decide to try this failed strategy again with a new game.

The irony is that in all this time you wasted waiting for someone to code for you, you could've just learned how to code yourself and made a less ambitious but fun game in GMK or RPG Maker to start building an audience.
It's true that your game is bound to hit the jackpot if you work on it for a full few months. I mean, I've been improving a single design document for over a year, putting work and effort into what the video game is meant to be. Clearly, I am a fool for not making the game in RPG Maker or GMK, which cannot support my grandiose dream, because it would mean less time wasted for me.

In the modern world, intellectual property with proof of origin, proof that it is mine rather than someone's, an IP that cannot be stolen, essentially a copyrighted idea is worthless compared to a finished JRPG out of RPG Maker. Thank you!

mediocrepoet

Patron
In any world something > nothing.

Keep perfecting your nothing and some day it will be the best expression of your efforts. Other, lesser individuals will have to satisfy themselves with the flawed pursuit of actually producing anything.

Your claim that a project written by a professional is not worth the sacrifice that the project written by an amateur is worth is a light bulb set alight for me. Now, I understand.
Putting aside that you're not a professional, no, someone else's ideas are not worth sacrifice, they're worth a solid paycheck.

Gahbreeil

Learned
Putting aside that you're not a professional, no, someone else's ideas are not worth sacrifice, they're worth a solid paycheck.
Did you put aside the truth while you were in school as well? That would explain why you have trouble understanding words and sentences.

I ( : the one who is speaking or writing) am ( : first person singular present of be) a ( : used when referring to someone or something for the first time in a text or conversation) writer ( : a person who writes books, stories, or articles as a job or occupation).
In any world something > nothing.

Keep perfecting your nothing and some day it will be the best expression of your efforts. Other, lesser individuals will have to satisfy themselves with the flawed pursuit of actually producing anything.
Perfecting my something, I got you, typo, right?

I ( : the one who is speaking or writing) am ( : first person singular present of be) a ( : used when referring to someone or something for the first time in a text or conversation) writer ( : a person who writes books, stories, or articles as a job or occupation).
You admitted earlier in the thread that you're self-published which in the writing world means not a professional :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom