Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Marvel Snap! (aka Fast Gwent by Hearthstone devs)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I seem to have plateaued on rank 60. It's pretty annoying while missing 1 or 2 cards from the good decks (including the Project decks needed today) since it's hard to know if I'm restrained by own ability or whether I could move up with those cards.

Jason Liang

Arcane
I seem to have plateaued on rank 60. It's pretty annoying while missing 1 or 2 cards from the good decks (including the Project decks needed today) since it's hard to know if I'm restrained by own ability or whether I could move up with those cards.
Do you have Enchantress yet?

Jason Liang

Arcane

Yes.
What are you running?

I started camping at CL 155.

Also it should be easier to climb in a few days. Theoretically the better Pool 1 players will have gotten to rank 90+ by then.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yes.
What are you running?

Also it should be easier to climb in a few days. Theoretically the better Pool 1 players will have gotten to rank 90+ by then.

I've switched from Zoo to Dino, but both of them result in about equal results on Rank 60+. I do lose to mistakes sometimes however, usually by missing one location interaction or a slight miscalculation so there's room for improvement

J1M

Arcane

Yes.
What are you running?

There isn't much material benefit to hitting rank 100, so unless you really want that card back you'd probably have more fun by playing with new cards. (And would you really be proud of rank 100 via matches against easy bots?)

Jason Liang

Arcane

Yes.
What are you running?

There isn't much material benefit to hitting rank 100, so unless you really want that card back you'd probably have more fun by playing with new cards. (And would you really be proud of rank 100 via matches against easy bots?)
I mean, the goal is to get a complete collection, so the credits and gold help. I don't think I'm playing vs bots anymore either. I already have pretty much every card in Pool 1 that I would want to use.
My Pool 1 deck, and I also added a Play Guide for it in the comments:
https://snap.fan/decks/50448/

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane

Yes.
What are you running?

I mean, the goal is to get a complete collection, so the credits and gold help. I don't think I'm playing vs bots anymore either. I already have pretty much every card in Pool 1 that I would want to use.
I am just saying keep things in perspective. 500 credits only helps you complete your collection one day earlier.

The way many people hit infinite in beta was to avoid increasing collection level. This created an MMR/CL pair with very few other people. The game's matchmaking prioritizes finding a match in ~5 seconds, falling back to a bot if needed. At the time, the bot you faced with that CL was extremely easy and the ones at Pool 3 CL would literally cheat by knowing what the random number generator would land on.

Should be less of a problem now with more real players.

Jason Liang

Arcane
The benefit of ranking up is getting better at the game and playing by losing against better players :)
Fixed for you :D
I am finding the coolest part of the game is that if you get snapped on T5 or T6, its worth losing 4 cubes instead of retreating to learn your opponents' T6 tricks.

I'm slowly climbing from 60 to 70 now. The trick to climbing in Pool 1, I've found, is a) be patient, advance slowly by winning 2 cubes on wins and losing 1 cube on escapes, b) don't lose 8 cubes by snapping and c) play with cards that win 8 cubes instead of 2 cubes.

Like, Odin is a win 2 cube card, but an Odin T6 play is never going to win you 8 cubes against good players because he's so obvious. Enchantress T6 wins 8 cubes sometimes, but Scarlet Witch T6 is going to hornswoggle 8 cubes nearly every time because its almost impossible to see it coming. In fact, I will be trying a deck that doesn't do play 6s and instead just runs a lot of 8 cube cards.

So far:
Angela
Wolfsbane
White Queen
Gamora <--- These four are the base T2-T5 drops
Elektra
Iron Fist
Scarlet Witch
Enchantress <--- These are T6 hornswoggles

Last 4 I want 2 more 2s that can play with Enchantress on 6, a 3, and maybe another 5, probably Iron Man, Prof X or Klaw.

New season started and I got knocked back down to rank 20. The amount of missplays I see at these low-ranks is staggering. I’m just snapping constantly because my win-rate is around 95% even though I’m not the greatest player and will occasionally make a misplay myself, but I regularly watch an opponent throw a game away because they apparently don’t understand the basic rules. It’s astounding. Even HS never this large a number of awful players.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The game has some genius design. Matches are like 1-3mins and it even gives you the option to bail out when things go against you. You get some fun RNG now and again, but matches are SO short and the stakes very much in your control that it's not as frustrating as it would be in the other CGs. I think the most amusing part is that the money-making aspect of the game kinda walls off the whales (me included). If I like a card game, I'll dump $$$ into it no problem. But this one you can't really buy a deck, you just play and earn it that way. Most of the payment stuff is purely cosmetic. It's actually pretty lean on the P2W aspects which is rare to see. Bad for whales who want all the cards, but also kinda good in that it doesn't perniciously chase down and squeeze degenerate gamblers (also me included).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
And because of the simple mechanic and short time there is not much commitment needed to play. Taking a dump? 1 game. In the bus? Multiple stress free game. Etc2. And the fact that you can't buyout deck means that you are not constantly facing the same netdecked shit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
New season started and I got knocked back down to rank 20. The amount of missplays I see at these low-ranks is staggering. I’m just snapping constantly because my win-rate is around 95% even though I’m not the greatest player and will occasionally make a misplay myself, but I regularly watch an opponent throw a game away because they apparently don’t understand the basic rules. It’s astounding. Even HS never this large a number of awful players.

Yeah I'm questioning whether people that play this are actually worse or somehow the specific rules of this game are just anathema to bad players. Sure people misplayed in Hearthstone too, but low ranks in this game are really just an autowin, every time.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Yeah I'm questioning whether people that play this are actually worse or somehow the specific rules of this game are just anathema to bad players. Sure people misplayed in Hearthstone too, but low ranks in this game are really just an autowin, every time.
Supposedly a lot of low rank matches are against bots

From what I’ve read there should be no bots from rank 20 up.

J1M

Arcane

From what I’ve read there should be no bots from rank 20 up.
One of the core principles of the game is that you should find a match in 5 seconds.

If a player is not available at your combination of matchmaking rating and collection level, you will play a bot match. If your collection level is low (say below 1000), the bot match will be pretty easy.

There are also bots that play with perfect information and knowledge of how random effects will play out. They can be beaten, but they also can cheat to win.

You used to be able to identify bots because there was a bug preventing players from obtaining variants that were black and white artwork. That is no longer true, but other elements like a name that follows a pattern such as "Chris23" or "VerbNoun" with a female avatar is a good tell. Bots appear to use a random F2P avatar and 50% of dudes are not using female avatars.

The bots can also only retreat in response to your snap, and seem to base whether they do or not solely on the current board position. If it's close they will stay in even if a human could easily deduce you have a turn 6 combo.

So the new cards are out (although apparently they’ve botched the rollout, and a bunch of players are getting caches and reserves that are completely empty).

The combination of insane rarity and gimmickiness of cards like Thanos and Galactus seems odd to me, and seems intentionally designed to rock the meta as little as possible.

Even the cards like Shuri, Valkyrie, and Bast that look pretty OP on paper are unlikely to have much of an impact for months. Somewhat disappointing since I am getting sick of seeing the same 5 deck archetypes. Oh well, such is the nature of the beast I suppose.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Reposting from r/marvelsnap:

ms22015.jpg

I just want to share my experience on whether or not "sandbagging" in Pool 2 to delay one's entry into Pool 3 is worthwhile. There have been some reputable Snap streamers on Youtube and Twitch, the majority of whom started in the beta and have full accounts already, who have advised that there's little benefit to delaying Pool 3 entry, but at least in my case I'm glad I did it.

I started playing Snap on October 25, with about 2 weeks left in the Miles Morales season pass. As MM season was ending and Wakanda season was starting, many players were hitting Pool 3 and suffering the Pool 3 "wall", and people started to advise staying in Pool 2 longer to stockpile credits before hitting Pool 3. Since I was a few weeks behind those players, I calculated that I would be able to stockpile and reach the credit cap right around the end of Wakanda season, so that was my target date.

In Pool 2, I started sitting on around CL 400 and stockpiling credits as soon as I had pulled all of the "essential" Pool 2 characters - mainly Killmonger, Shang Chi, Scorpion and Storm. Not only did I stockpile credits, I also stockpiled my credits and boosters from CL rewards, Season rewards, and Ranking rewards. Finally, I stockpiled my Frame breaks so that I had around 70 frame breaks in reserve. As I hit the credit cap, I would spend credits to slowly raise my CL towards 474. Some unexpected things happened along the way: I went over the road and missed about a week of daily and weekly mission rewards, and the last patch raised the credit cap to 10,000. But still, by Sunday evening's shop refresh I was sitting on CL 443 with 9800 credits plus all my reward credits still untapped. It was time to break the bank, collect all my rewards, and dive into Pool 3.
ms22009.jpg

As of yesterday evening's Silver Surfer season start, I am now at CL 807, spending all but 300 credits, gaining +364 CL and pulling 20 cards from Pool 3.
ms22013.jpg

Of my 20 cards, I pulled some awful ones like Adam Warlock, Drax and Black Bolt, but I also pulled Wong, Wave, Zola, Doom, Magneto, Green Goblin, Goose, Ghost Rider and Taskmaster. Along with Death who serendipitously appeared in the shop, I'm able to put together a playable Wave/ Death Wave deck. Perhaps I ended up getting lucky on my pulls, but I feel like waiting in Pool 2 for about 3 weeks to stock credits really paid off in my case.
ms22014.jpg

Last edited:

ValeVelKal

Arcane
I am plateauing between 60 and 65. I am kicked out of 66+ almost immediately (I can reach it consistantly when I have snap discipline), and come back to 60 almost immediately if I go below (when I don't have snap discipline). I suspect the matchmaking is 5 levels by 5 levels.

I have a pretty unique deck that I have not seen anyone use (only "counter" cards, trying to understand what you are playing with Cable/Morph and ESPECIALLY White Queen then countering with a T6 Witch/Shang Chi/Killmonger/Enchanteress). I am missing a few cards that could improve upon Cable, and fill the middle of the deck

Jason Liang

Arcane
Jason Liang Why are you running Doom in a Deathwave deck? Arnim Zola will get you much stronger results, and you need to keep one lane open for best results, so Doom will be a liability.
I like the using Storm and Goose to shut down lanes strategy. Doom is one of the better 6s for Wave decks. Still tweaking it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom