Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of the Fallen - action-RPG reboot from Hexworks

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
when you're here on the rpgcodex. It's safe to assume that the posters here have played a medium difficulty game before
I find this bit fabulously optimistic, especially with the number of admitted cheat engine enthusiasts that roam these halls.

Still though, I approve of the overall sentiment.

jaekl

Educated
Patron
Ya fair enough, but I think that the guys using cheat engine would care even less about how hard the game is so we can't be blaming their complaints on dying to ambushers either

cruel

Cipher
There are a lot of retarded complaints about the game like "muh too many mobs", "muh ambushes", "confusing levels" or "artificial difficulty" - all mostly butthurt cope - but boss difficulty being all over the place is definitely legit.

I don't know man. I was going through Pilgrim's Perch yesterday in Umbral, and I'm pretty sure I was fighting 5 enemies at once: 3 Umbral zombies, bucket-head guy and mandatory mage above me. Few minutes later it changes to 5 enemies in a different composition - 3 ranged characters throwing radiant balls at me, while I'm fighting some trash mobs. If 5 enemies at once is not 'too many mobs', I don't know what is. I don't remember any other serious Souls game doing that to be honest.

I understand that there were trying to make Umbral 'stressful' in some way, but would really hope they try to accomplish it in a different way, like fun to fight elite enemies that grow in power after every respawn. There are no 'too many enemies' issues with regular world though.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There are a lot of retarded complaints about the game like "muh too many mobs", "muh ambushes", "confusing levels" or "artificial difficulty" - all mostly butthurt cope - but boss difficulty being all over the place is definitely legit.

I don't know man. I was going through Pilgrim's Perch yesterday in Umbral, and I'm pretty sure I was fighting 5 enemies at once
Sure, if you drop to umbral before you have a chance to kill off regular mobs it can get hectic.

Then again umbral mobs are hardly an existential threat, the zombies do only chip damage and they die in two hits and other umbral enemies are very infrequent.

Plus I can't stress often enough to use your ranged options - spells if you play a caster char, throwables and bombs if not. If you use your ranged, don't rush, don't try to brute force everything with the biggest, slowest weapon you can find and if you are over the emotional age of 10 and can handle a few BS moments that are a staple for soulslikes you'll find very soon the NG in this game is actually too easy, especially after that stupid nerf.

Jinn

Arcane
People confuse running crazily into enemy groups that are pretty clearly laid out in front of you as getting swarmed by a mob. Sometimes you have to draw a few from the pack, sometimes you have to utilize your ranged magic or weapons, sometimes you have to think of clever ways to use your environment to your advantage, etc. This actually makes for more interesting encounter design in the long run, as long as you're not trying to treat the game like a hack-and-slash, which will ultimately result in the frustrating experience a lot of people report. Stop running into a group of clearly telegraphed enemies and then getting mad that you get swarmed. There's plenty of ways to handle it more tactically. It's the most common and silly complaint about the game, and it shows that the majority of these souls-like players are used to just running full-bore ahead with little consideration on how to handle the situation at hand.

mediocrepoet

Patron
People confuse running crazily into enemy groups that are pretty clearly laid out in front of you as getting swarmed by a mob.
Despite bouncing off of this game, I'd agree with this since it's basically what causes a lot of crying about DS2.

Oh man, I ran into the middle of a bunch of guys instead of using terrain and positioning to split them up! This game sucks!! :lol:

abija

Prophet
I don't know man. I was going through Pilgrim's Perch yesterday in Umbral, and I'm pretty sure I was fighting 5 enemies at once: 3 Umbral zombies, bucket-head guy and mandatory mage above me. Few minutes later it changes to 5 enemies in a different composition - 3 ranged characters throwing radiant balls at me, while I'm fighting some trash mobs. If 5 enemies at once is not 'too many mobs', I don't know what is. I don't remember any other serious Souls game doing that to be honest.

I understand that there were trying to make Umbral 'stressful' in some way, but would really hope they try to accomplish it in a different way, like fun to fight elite enemies that grow in power after every respawn. There are no 'too many enemies' issues with regular world though.

I didn't have issues with density but never considered umbral. That was pretty clear even from the opening cinematic is supposed to be a swarm of basic mobs.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's the most common and silly complaint about the game, and it shows that the majority of these souls-like players are used to just running full-bore ahead with little consideration on how to handle the situation at hand.
All this crying about mob density and ranged enemies and artificial difficulty left me super perplexed. I kept asking myself: jesus on a bike where are these fucking people coming from?

I don't remember anything close to this in a souls community before LotF. There was a lot of crying about an easy mode after Sekiro came out, but mostly from journos and assorted zoomer rabble. But so much weeping about difficulty from people fancying themselves veterans of the genre? I still don't get it.

mediocrepoet

Patron
It's the most common and silly complaint about the game, and it shows that the majority of these souls-like players are used to just running full-bore ahead with little consideration on how to handle the situation at hand.
All this crying about mob density and ranged enemies and artificial difficulty left me super perplexed. I kept asking myself: jesus on a bike where are these fucking people coming from?

I don't remember anything close to this in a souls community before LotF. There was a lot of crying about an easy mode after Sekiro came out, but mostly from journos and assorted zoomer rabble. But so much weeping about difficulty from people fancying themselves veterans of the genre? I still don't get it.
DS2 and SotFS. Lots of crying. Whether about Lost Bastille, Shrine of Amana, etc.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
DS2 and SotFS. Lots of crying. Whether about Lost Bastille, Shrine of Amana, etc.
Don't remember it being that bad tho. Plus they eventually de-nerfed the area in SotFS with not much outcry.

Anyway I thought most of the DS3 traversal was much harder than LotF, with just as many ambushes and tricky mob placements, that were way more annoying to boot. Plus the bosses in DS3 were orders of magnitude harder. Don't remember any crying there.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Don't remember it being that bad tho. Plus they eventually de-nerfed the area in SotFS with not much outcry.

Anyway I thought most of the DS3 traversal was much harder than LotF, with just as many ambushes and tricky mob placements, that were way more annoying to boot. Plus the bosses in DS3 were orders of magnitude harder. Don't remember any crying there.

Heh. You have a weirdly selective memory. You should skim those threads or run a search on them.

abija

Prophet
Yeah, I avoid internet when playing souls first time and check after. The complaints were something else about Amana, Bastille and iirc even Wharf.

cruel

Cipher
Sure, if you drop to umbral before you have a chance to kill off regular mobs it can get hectic.
vs
All this crying about mob density and ranged enemies and artificial difficulty left me super perplexed.

Why are you perplexed if you had just confirmed that umbral can get hectic with mob density? :)

And there is an important distinction to make: mob density complaint <> game difficulty complaint. Those are two different things. Many people (like myself) are not complaining that mob density makes the game too hard (because the game is NOT too hard). It just makes the game tedious and not fun, that's all. I don't feel too much excitement killing zombie #17 after I've just killed zombie #16, knowing that zombie #18 and #19 will spawn in 5 seconds.

mediocrepoet

Patron

jaekl

Educated
Patron
I've gotta get my $100 of entertainment out if it one way or another, so I'll probably talk shit about it for another 6 months or so to be safe.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

The replies on that tweet are hilarious.

Thanks to delusional fucks like cvv the devs think that they've released a DaS's level of quality game where in fact they delivered a broken turd.

24 patches latter they still don't know how to fix the game.

[edit] they patched the game so hard that the score went from 62% to 60% positive on Steam. i guess people had enough of this retardation

jaekl

Educated
Patron
They don't even know that gitgud is outdated and was replaced by skill issue? Undeniable proof that they're a bunch of fake poser fromsoft fans.

Spike

Educated
They don't even know that gitgud is outdated and was replaced by skill issue? Undeniable proof that they're a bunch of fake poser fromsoft fans.
I wouldn't say that. I have yet to play the game but I certainly intend to at some point. But now you're just ganging up on them lol.

Ravielsk

Magister
Thanks to delusional fucks like @cvv the devs think that they've released a DaS's level of quality game where in fact they delivered a broken turd.
I already wrote this in another topic but it bear repeating. Simping ala cvv is far more damaging to a publisher/developer than any hate mob ever could be. The haters are at least honest about their hate for the target of their hate. If they hate mob groups of more than 2 then they will tell you, if they hate the look of your game they will tell and if they hate the level of performance they will tell you and be honest about it.

Simps however weave this absurd net of asterisks and copes around the object of their worship that it makes it utterly impossible for anyone not actively tracking them to tell what is and is not BS. A fine example of this is the mob density problem of LotF, its the exact same problem as with DS2 and that it makes every encounter the same encounter forcing the same approach to every mob group. CVV and others like him will only acknowledge the first part of the sentence, rebuff it with "#skillissues" or "#lowIQ" and completely skip over the second part because there is no way to respond to that.

The unaware people will thumb it up and this creates a fake consensus for the devs where it looks like they are doing everything right but still have some irrational haters. When in reality the core problem remains unfixed and will remain that way because they have dudes actively gaslighting them into them into thinking there is nothing to fix.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom