Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Lord British Kickstarter coming up - "Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues"

Xavier0889

Learned
Gothic 1 is the DONE RIGHT version of Ultima IX.

But the controls were still shit :troll:

I laugh at RG trying to impress new audiences. He should realize his fans are old farts. Ultima is a fucking DOS series. Just buy a house in the moon or something.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Ultima IX is a DOS game?

If he's pitching a new game to the U9 fans than he's really going fail hard on his kickstarter. Garriott has turned into a kook in recent years and probably has nothing left to offer cRPG fans, but he can honestly claim that he had little to do with that stinker.

BigWeather

Augur
Ultima V was glorious on the C=128. I had a C=64 and was so irritated that it didn't have music. Went over to a friend's house who had a C=128 and was just awestruck.

Suck it, PC master race. Of course we all saw the light eventually (oh, around Ultima VI time).

BigWeather

Augur
Yeah, loved Ultima III's intro. Ultima III was one of my first RPGs (I think Telengard -- on cassette -- by Avalon Hill was the first), and the first I bought with my own money. I remember it sitting on the shelf in our local independent game store and, with that awesome demon on the cover, just had to get it.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Oh god this is gonna be awful. He is one of my hero's for his 80's games but as someone else said he turned into a kook at some point.

Honestly If he is going to to some type of kickstart social MMO game It will make me very sad, would prefer he just go away with my good memories intact.

What the crap happened to him?!! His Ultima games still have legions of fans 20 plus years later and influenced so many people to go into game design. You hear him talk now and he says things like "Well I only made those games turn based because of the lack of technology...and they were only single player because the technology wasn't available for an MMO at the time." Now he believes MMO's and social media plug in games are where it's at. Richard, do you even know why people love your Ultima games? It was the feel of a wide open world to explore with secrets to find plus interesting back stories thrown in. ARRRRGGGGG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
UPDATE: Kenneth Kully drops some hints http://ultimacodex.com/2013/03/is-richard-garriotts-new-game-a-pc-title-will-it-be-revealed-at-sxsw/

It’s the calling out of Linux — playing off the Mac/PC reference — that catches my attention the most. Could that be a subtle hint concerning the game engine that the Ultimate RPG will make use of? Will the Ultimate RPG eschew the social and mobile frontier and be revealed as a decidedly “first era” game: a standalone, single-player RPG, albeit one that might support some sort of optional multiplayer component?

And furthermore, will the game be revealed at SXSW next Friday, in the special announcement Richard Garriott will be making in conjunction with a Descendants of Erdrick performance?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I also think a Star Citizen-like model is what Garriott is most likely to follow, hoping to kill two birds with one stone.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
People, leave Ultima IX alone. Back in 1995 (when the development started) it was one of the most ambitious software game projects. And despite the fact that it had tons of bugs in the initial versions, the game was some kind of revolution. Sure, it didn't follow the true path of Ultima IV-VI but I personally enjoyed the new 3D Britannia very much. As far as I can remember, only Zelda:Ocarina of Time gave me a better single-player 3D 'RPG' experience at this time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
...it's official, Chaos Chronicles is gonna suck. :troll:

In 1995, Ultima 9 was still planned as an isometric game, btw.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
That's what I mean.

ingame_4x3.jpg

in fact it's not isometric, but top-down and rotable :) (like in our game)
Ok, back to the topic, I don't think anybody will share my weird devotion for Ultima IX.

Edit: ok, correction. The very first engine was 3D isometric, mea culpa!

orig_ss_house2.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom