Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And this approach also invites experimentation, unlike New Vegas, where you want to get those 100 speech points because fighting Lanius is a PITA in this gamebryo thing.
On one playthrough I just snuck over and popped him in the head no problem.

scytheavatar

Scholar
1692757491156838.jpg

Josh basically advocating the destruction of role playing in CRPG.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Deadfire had an interesting approach with skills, where you'd get two points each level, one of which was limited to roleplaying checks in dialogue. So every character would have the opportunity to do a Bluff/Diplomacy/Streetwise or whatever, without having to sacrifice combat effectiveness. I don't see why this approach couldn't be used in other games, and it would seem preferable to destroying attributes.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Separating attributes from skills checks and crafting/professions is what I would do, mostly.

Also, each level of an attribute would have an associated trait so that selecting attributes isn't just statistical upgrades but a basic defining feature of your character's capabilities. Traits have always been the most interesting part of character creation because they defy easy comparisons and affect gameplay decision making more.

ropetight

Savant
1692757491156838.jpg

Josh basically advocating the destruction of role playing in CRPG.
While you do your due dilligence and separate attributes from skills, be sure to implicitly split almost every class into two of tank/damage-dealer/buff-caster subclasses to completely undo whatever meaning classes have.
Like Josh did.

Shadenuat

Arcane
When dnd magic can do anything and replace anything even at low levels, it doesn't matter how much you fiddle with stats. Roleplaying is fundamentally tied to worldbuilding.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Sawyer talking more about the BG3-effect at Something Awful https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...=3856099&userid=17931&perpage=40&pagenumber=9

But that sort of thing is probably extremely time-consuming dev-wise. Like a lot of the best stuff in Baldur's Gate 3 are the tiny outside-of-combat details and all those little things take time and money to implement that a lot of studios just can't do under the traditional publishing system and judging from the reaction to ropekid's comments on that tweet and the tweet itself, a lot of people fail to understand this.
I honestly think it's hard to tell if they really don't understand it or if they do and they're just being disingenuous haters. I don't think it's that hard of a concept to grasp.

It is very funny to see it reduced to "you guys need to work harder if you want our respect". Sorry but the difference between a $10M budget and a $100M budget isn't that the individual developers on the latter all work 10x as hard.

All the argument around it seems kind of pointless now- what raised bar?
From my perspective, the bars of scope and production value for a D&Dlike party-based fantasy CRPG.

Is this a concern you have for Avowed, or any potential PoE3?

I'm just curious and if you can't answer I understand
It's a concern I have for smaller companies that continue to work in the space like, e.g., Owlcat, Tactical Adventures, GrapeOcean, etc.

I don't personally think Avowed is comparable in terms of type of game and PoE3 is nonexistent/irrelevant.

An acknowledgment of Black Geyser, wow. :M Though they may not even be around for much longer.

FPS RPGs are already a space where developers spend huge amounts of money.

E: Oh, no I don’t think Avowed being successful would make PoE3 happen; it would make Avowed 2 happen.

BG3 being successful is more likely to make other "iso" party-based D&Dlike fantasy RPGs happen.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Are them devs blind with envy or something? Players obviously demand more quality from aaa products, not everyone.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Deadfire's solution to skill checks was one of the few good innovations they've done. Traditional approach where Fighter can't be a sweet talker has always been utterly retarded.

For the same reason I always saw Bard as RPGs biggest cancer, it's patently absurd to have a specialized class dedicated to roleplaying and interacting with the game.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Deadfire's solution to skill checks was one of the few good innovations they've done. Traditional approach where Fighter can't be a sweet talker has always been utterly retarded.

For the same reason I always saw Bard as RPGs biggest cancer, it's patently absurd to have a specialized class dedicated to roleplaying and interacting with the game.

Or Cleric not having intimidate as class skill in 3/3,5e...at least not in NWN/NWN2/etc, I imagine it was the same in the official PnP rules too...imagine cleric of Tempus, Uthgar or something and not being intimidating...

ropetight

Savant

Realistic approach if I ever saw one.
In IT you always send developers and sysadmins to customers and public, no scummy sales, marketing and PR are needed.

KVVRR

Learned
But that sort of thing is probably extremely time-consuming dev-wise. Like a lot of the best stuff in Baldur's Gate 3 are the tiny outside-of-combat details and all those little things take time and money to implement that a lot of studios just can't do under the traditional publishing system and judging from the reaction to ropekid's comments on that tweet and the tweet itself, a lot of people fail to understand this.
I honestly think it's hard to tell if they really don't understand it or if they do and they're just being disingenuous haters. I don't think it's that hard of a concept to grasp.

It is very funny to see it reduced to "you guys need to work harder if you want our respect". Sorry but the difference between a $10M budget and a $100M budget isn't that the individual developers on the latter all work 10x as hard.
While I understand where he's coming, he's working for Obsidian, who are now owned by Microsoft. As far as I've seen Microsoft isn't some Activison-like corporation for the game companies they own, they're very lenient with them. to the point things like Redfall come out in the way they did. And from what I've heard this is the case with Obsidian too. With Outer Worlds they let them do whatever they wanted, only checking in every now and then to see progress being made. Josh himself got to make his own personal passion project out of it.
Not every game needs to be BG3's size, and not every company should be expected to deliver such a product, but why wouldn't consumers expect big companies known for their reactive RPGs to step up and follow up on it? It's on the very own comment he's replying to, most of BG3's best parts aren't the combat, or the plot, or the story, it's the little details that show care. I wouldn't in a million years thought they would've bothered to actually implement a mechanic in-game that reflects Gale's backstory - either the ability you get which literally doesn't have a practical use nor the cheap cutscenes for it if you meet the criteria through gameplay - but the fact that they integrated it shows someone cared about it enough to combine both game and story together. They saw an opportunity to have an unique element that molds a player's unique playthrough and gives Gale an unique flavour to his character even if for all intents and porpuses it's just an icon and 3 separate 30 second inengine cutscenes. Isn't that what RPG's most excel at? Reactivity?
It doesn't have to be something big. It doesn't have to even be impressive. It just needs to be there, like being able to have dinner with any family in Pentiment. Show me you care, just don't stick to a formula.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
While I understand where he's coming, he's working for Obsidian, who are now owned by Microsoft. As far as I've seen Microsoft isn't some Activison-like corporation for the game companies they own, they're very lenient with them. to the point things like Redfall come out in the way they did. And from what I've heard this is the case with Obsidian too. With Outer Worlds they let them do whatever they wanted, only checking in every now and then to see progress being made. Josh himself got to make his own personal passion project out of it.
Not every game needs to be BG3's size, and not every company should be expected to deliver such a product, but why wouldn't consumers expect big companies known for their reactive RPGs to step up and follow up on it? It's on the very own comment he's replying to, most of BG3's best parts aren't the combat, or the plot, or the story, it's the little details that show care. I wouldn't in a million years thought they would've bothered to actually implement a mechanic in-game that reflects Gale's backstory - either the ability you get which literally doesn't have a practical use nor the cheap cutscenes for it if you meet the criteria through gameplay - but the fact that they integrated it shows someone cared about it enough to combine both game and story together. They saw an opportunity to have an unique element that molds a player's unique playthrough and gives Gale an unique flavour to his character even if for all intents and porpuses it's just an icon and 3 separate 30 second inengine cutscenes. Isn't that what RPG's most excel at? Reactivity?
It doesn't have to be something big. It doesn't have to even be impressive. It just needs to be there, like being able to have dinner with any family in Pentiment. Show me you care, just don't stick to a formula.
You say Obsidian doesn't focus more on reactivity and then cite a recent Obsidian game's well-done reactivity. :hmmm:

KVVRR

Learned
You say Obsidian doesn't focus more on reactivity and then cite a recent Obsidian game's well-done reactivity. :hmmm:
I'm not saying they don't do it, if anything I'm saying they should focus on making more games like Pentiment and less like Outer Worlds. Josh saying it's not viable is laughable when he's the entire reason that game exists.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm not saying they don't do it, if anything I'm saying they should focus on making more games like Pentiment and less like Outer Worlds. Josh saying it's not viable is laughable when he's the entire reason that game exists.
TOW was Tim and Leonard's deliberate attempt to make a polished hit and they were successful in that goal. You'll have to wait to see what the bigger-and-presumably-better Outer Worlds 2 is like, might give you what you want. :M

turkishronin

Arcane
Deadfire is weird everyone agrees they did most of the crucial things right but still feel as if something is lacking and no one can point out exactly what it is. It's as if someone put a curse on Sawyer that every game he makes should turn out to be hollow.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Exactly, they literally had an option to pursue AAA-Pillars 3 and deliver Larian-killer with unlimited Billy G money.

Instead they've made pants-on-head choice to pursue not just one but two big projects with TOW and Avowed, and now both games seem downgraded to semi-AA because it was far too much for Obsidian sized studio to handle.

KVVRR

Learned
TOW was Tim and Leonard's deliberate attempt to make a polished hit and they were successful in that goal. You'll have to wait to see what the bigger-and-presumably-better Outer Worlds 2 is like, might give you what you want. :M
We'll see, but so far I wouldn't bet on it. Outer Worlds also had other problems besides a severe lack of details.
I think the problem is that polished these days just means "bugless". It doesn't mean that it's shiny and it'll stand out, it means that it's clean. Stable. I'd take some 2 hour eurojank whos code has been dragged through the mud and it's infested with maggots game over a 30 hour stretched thin bugless product.

Artyoan

Arbiter
Deadfire is weird everyone agrees they did most of the crucial things right but still feel as if something is lacking and no one can point out exactly what it is. It's as if someone put a curse on Sawyer that every game he makes should turn out to be hollow.
I think the setting being entirely within a 'sailing/pirate' theme was a bad choice. I liked PoE1 quite a bit but the setting change was off-putting in the initial marketing. Even after playing it I've yet to finish it and the tonal changes, especially in returning characters, is my main turnoff to this day.

My real guess as to why Larian is a runaway success while other crpgs are middling is that the world environment is very interactive and that is known going in. Lots of clutter and objects that can be interacted with, as well as environmental combos with those objects. Throw them, light them up, etc. It doesn't matter if throwing a barrel or chest on an enemy is tactically useful, it matters that it can be done. Similar to Elder Scrolls, the mind loves the idea that objects and environments aren't just visual dressing but tangible things. Similar effect to open world games providing that sense of endless possibility at the outset, then tapering off quickly when the player finds out how constrained it is. But compare that to PoE or Solasta where you press a key, highlight the dev placed objects, and then just loot it.

If I were to be making a crpg, I'd make high environmental interaction be a key priority if I want sales. The tactical use of it matters less than that it just exists. I can throw the crate, light it on fire, and put it out with rain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom