Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How many internal SSD can you fit in a laptop if it was designed to house more?
hard to say for 2018 laptop especially if it's a model that still have DVD drive. For modern one you definitely will have 2 slots (1 taken for the default SSD). Most modern laptops use M.2 SSD slot.

For 2018, especially if it had an HDD slot it means you have 2.5" drive? There are 2.5" SSD that theoretically should work as it would fit in the same slot, but I never do this myself, may need to do more research on your own. Some older models have one 2.5" slot and 1 M.2 slot (usually empty) so you can just put it on top.

Hard to say without opening your laptop to see the slots.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
So if i am looking for a single mod to make Skyrim somehow playable, is Requiem still the go to mod?
I am not looking at a bazillion mods/mod lists, just a simple one mod and maybe a couple of addons for it.

Yosharian

Arcane
So if i am looking for a single mod to make Skyrim somehow playable, is Requiem still the go to mod?
I am not looking at a bazillion mods/mod lists, just a simple one mod and maybe a couple of addons for it.
Lalaland is seemingly the best choice for Requiem currently, but it's in need of an update - one that was meant to arrive end of April but it's running late.

Librum also released a major update recently but it's a bit rough around the edges and isn't to everyone's taste.

Not sure about other lists.

Edit: duh I just noticed you said NOT lists. Sorry.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Wildlander. No single thing is going to make Skyrim playable and even the big modlists struggle with it

Arthandas

Prophet
8pn76h.jpg

Perkel

Arcane

yes, requiem legit makes skyrim pretty good rpg system wise. It also elevates quest and story because you aren't killing those dragons from get go (dragon's are considered end game same as vampires). There is massive list of things it improves so that overall Skyrim becomes pretty good rpg.

edit:

Read manual first before playing otherwise you will quit not understanding mechanics especially if you played earlier Skyrim. For an example Draughs are mid tier enemies that are essentially arrow-proof.

Last edited:
Oh ye hopeless souls... thinking in your vanity that ye can maketh the SHITE that is Skyrim good. Only to realize after installing 200+ mods that you could've been playing ELEX/Breath of the Wild/Witcher 3/Kingdom Come instead.

Yosharian

Arcane
Lalaland is king! Wildlander overcomplicates the game, just look at the keybindings for Wildlander:
View attachment 49488
Yeah but this fucking update is taking forever sigh

I have briefly looked at Librum but what I've seen so far hasn't impressed me. It just seems like a mishmash of disparate concepts. And aesthetically there are issues, some of the texture choices I've seen are baffling.

I might give it another go though

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Lalaland is king! Wildlander overcomplicates the game, just look at the keybindings for Wildlander:
View attachment 49488
Yeah but this fucking update is taking forever sigh

I have briefly looked at Librum but what I've seen so far hasn't impressed me. It just seems like a mishmash of disparate concepts. And aesthetically there are issues, some of the texture choices I've seen are baffling.

I might give it another go though
I enjoy Librum, but it's definitely not for everyone. Major content bloat will discourage many, and many decisions are made to make the game unrealistically difficult (like getting 10 gold for something woth 1k). That said, if you enjoy difficulty (even outside of combat) and want content bloat since vanilla content's become tired out and boring, Librum is a great pick. 4.0 version is in the works that reworks many core concepts so as to provide a less "moddy" experience as well as work better overall, but the finish line is still pretty far off in the future.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
No, my dear Skyrim player. The single mod to make Skyrim (more than) playable is called Enderal (used at best together with E.G.O and some combat mods such as TK Dodge, but you asked for one mod, so...).

Lemming42

Arcane
Yes, that something was a Codex notification for some reason.
KeAzWL0.png

Yet you're in a "let's mod skyrim out of skyrim thread" so you're just proving my point.
This isn't what's actually happening; you obviously can't mod Skyrim out of Skyrim because even the most robust modlist ends up preserving the exact same core gameplay loop. People are refining and build on what's already there, and have been doing so for a decade. You might as well claim that Doom's lively modding scene proves that everyone hates base Doom.

Yosharian

Arcane
Just popping in to say I am playing more and more of Librum 3.1 and I still think its rough in some places, I am starting to see the charm of it. It's definitely worth trying out. I spent quite a bit of time tweaking it slightly though. For starters, the existing UI has to go, it's way too intrusive and looks pretty horrible in ultrawide.

Anyway if anyone does check it out make sure you join the Discord because the Wabbajack version isn't up-to-date

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Ok so I bounced off Librum 3.1, it's neat but it's not polished enough and there's too many ways to make combat, at least early game combat, trivial. I'll revisit it in 3.2 and later possibly, it's got potential for sure.

More importantly, Arkay's Commandment 5.0 Beta just dropped and it's looking very good, here's the announcement:

Whew, it's been a while @Arkay's Commandment

Arkay's Commandment 5.0 BETA release #1 is out!

A little background: AC has been recreated from the ground up using the visuals from the Wabbajack list Aurora, meaning the graphics are totally different. I've spent the last maybe 5 months putting all the pieces together to create a version of AC that I'm happy with, that is more broadly appealing to you all. The list is currently playable and stable, but I need some help to fully test everything.

Performance: ENB is on by default and is not optional. In the future I plan on making a 2nd profile for Community Shaders with better performance, but that will come with time. The graphics are more demanding comared to before as Aurora uses higher quality textures than previous AC versions and the ENB is more demanding.

Gameplay: Gameplay is refined much more than previous versions. We're cooking with the newest versions of 3BFTweaks, as well as a lot of familiar and new mods patched for AC. Everything is more streamlined to give you a more enjoyable playing experience.

Other mods: Gone are the days of all of my meme mods :cry~1: . There exist some flavorful mods in the optional section, but they are optional by default.

Keep in mind this is a BETA release. I aim to release this with the hope of polishing the list from your help and feedback. I have created a new channel specific to the beta here: ⁠arkays-beta . Please discuss any issues, feedback, or anything relevant to the beta there. Gameplay questions and things not-specific to the beta can still be discussed in other appropriate channels.

How to install?: Download this wabbajack file https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/83725?tab=files&file_id=501901 and then open the archive using your archive tool of your choices (7zip, winzip, etc). Once extracted, double click the "Arkay's Commandment.wabbajack" file and it should open the Wabbajack install process like any other list you've installed before.

Have fun ^-^
Wabbajack Link: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/83725?tab=files&file_id=501901

Obviously bear in mind this is a BETA.

Yosharian

Arcane
Oh also I happened to try out this list called 'Lorerim', which is a huge modlist that has a 200GB download size and around 420GB install size. Insane.

What's even more insane is how utterly fucking shit this list is.

For starters the performance is dogshit, I was getting 35 FPS at the Riverwood standing stones area and I have a monster rig. Christ knows what its like elsewhere.

This kind of performance wouldn't be such a surprise if the list's visuals were good, but they aren't. The approach here is akin to 'shove everything you can find on the Nexus into the world space and hope it looks good'. It doesn't.

Areas are full of odd-looking structures that either don't make sense in the locations they are placed, or just look ugly as hell. Towns are barely recognisable anymore, which again wouldn't be an issue if they were improved, but they just lost all their character and the resulting visuals end up a mush of colours and shades with no definition anywhere.

Characters aren't better, having this weird uncanny valley effect and dead eyes, and their lip-sync looks horrible, much worse than default.

Combat is also this really weird combination of Requiem combined with a lot of action game mods like combat stances and it just doesn't work IMO, although this is more of a question of taste I guess. Enemy floating heath bars also doesn't suit Skyrim IMO. Walking past Aela's intro scene, I took a moment to deliver the finishing blow to the giant whereupon he fucking launched into the air like a cruise missile.

The list also has some technical issues, at least on my rig, whenever I zoomed out from 1st to 3rd person, I could briefly see my character's skeleton and eyeballs, which was freaky. Also, a new idle animation where the character stretches their arms, resulted in the 1st person view seeing inside the arm mesh.

Lastly and this is just the icing on the cake, I teleported into Whiterun and while marvelling at the truly awful aesthetics on display, this fucking insane-looking NPC comes barrelling towards me with the weirdest walk animation I have ever seen, flinging his arms from side to side and his legs looking like something out of a Monty Python sketch. I assume this was a broken animation... But it was just hilarious coming after all the other jank I'd just experienced.

Truly, Skyrim modding has achieved new levels of retardation.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Elder Scrolls Online. It has Skyrim area (although as a DLC) and much more. You can get it on sale in a $20 bundle with almost all areas unlocked. It's much better in exploration, there's much more stuff to do, and while quests are very hit-or-mix, at worst they are as bad as Skyrim's.

BruceVC

Magister
I would suggest a mod collection and not a mod list for ease of install and the testing of functionality and interoperability between mods. And the mod collection creators provide support

Try Vagabond which has over 4000 mods

https://github.com/Oghma-Infinium/Vagabond

Or Nolvus which has about 2500 mods

https://www.nolvus.net/modlist

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom