Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Honkai: Star Rail - It sucks almost as much as mods changing titles

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
>picks fight over nothing
>loses
>is butthurt

I'd tell you to get a life, but I'm playing a Chinese girl gambling game, so whatever. :M

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Back on topic, I leveled Acheron to 80 and finally geared her enough to crit in most fights.

...and yet she's still nothing compared to the E6 on my support that can easily clear a million damage an ultimate.

E3WtJQi.png

I don't want to know how long people have to grind for the gears it takes for this.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
That's just a box I ticked to prevent annoying people from spamming my profile. Hover over my name for my ignore list. You're not on it.

I have no problem with you and don't know why you're being weird, sir. :M

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I really enjoy HSR. The beginning gave off a very similar vibe as Xenosaga. And recently the concept of Acheron - an owner of a blade forged by a dying world - really tickled my fancy.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Back on topic, I leveled Acheron to 80 and finally geared her enough to crit in most fights.

...and yet she's still nothing compared to the E6 on my support that can easily clear a million damage an ultimate.

E3WtJQi.png

I don't want to know how long people have to grind for the gears it takes for this.
What team are you running her with?

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
That's just a box I ticked to prevent annoying people from spamming my profile. Hover over my name for my ignore list. You're not on it.

I have no problem with you and don't know why you're being weird, sir. :M
Normally I don't assume people who responding to me are ignoring me, no. I'm more interested in how many people you've upset with lame posts. Also I wanted to spam your profile lmao

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Well, I had put it down for a long time and came back to roll on Acheron, so it's just whatever I have on hand.

Usually it's been Black Swan, Natasha and Match 7th. BS helps charge her Ultimate and the rest of the team keeps them alive.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I had very bad luck with her pull, but got some very nice rolls on her equipment:
77AvpQQ.jpeg

This team works the best so far for me:
yHXs5Us.jpeg

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
isn't this game mostly gacha tier gameplay?
It's a Gacha game, yeah, but it's fairly f2p friendly and the combat is turn-based with some decent complexity in team building, synergies and adjusting to the enemies weaknesses and abilities against its hardest content, where optimizing action economy and turn orders can have a major impact on the outcome. It's still a fairly easy game if you play regularly and have a working brain, so there's plenty of people who struggle getting all the rewards. I generally dislike the anime aesthetic and loathe Gacha games, but when its in games like this one or Troubleshooter, it's simply a slightly annoying vehicle for solid storytelling and enjoyable gameplay.

As for Acheron, she is kind of too powerful on E0, then again, a proper team for Jing Liu or DHIL does somewhat similar output. Its with her E2, which is a staggering 40-50% increase in damage, where she becomes silly, as no other carry even comes close to that level of damage increase on eidolons, not even their E6. I'm not yet completely sold on Pela with Acheron, as you only get regular debuff application from the Lightcone, and once you ult, she doesn't generate additional stacks anymore as every target already has the debuff. Something like Guinaifen might actually end up being better.

In English, it makes no sense to tell someone to find a rock to befriend.
It is very common to tell people to become friends with inanimate objects when you think they are annoying and stupid and want them to fuck off. It implies both a sense of "go bother someone else" as well as that they are so stupid that only things without a brain or pulse would be adequate conversation partners. There's a reason no one felt it was out of place or didn't make sense, until Hoyo acknowledged the mistake in patch notes and changed the english translation, and that's because people acknowledged it as a phrase that made sense. Conversely, "go talk to a mute" is not a commonly used insult to belittle someone's intellect or consider them annoying, so this was a good translation to keep the same energy, it just ended up being more meaningful than anticipated.

The fact it was more important than initially thought, was something no one knew until 2.1 came around. Translators for games like these rarely get notes of the overarching plotlines and meanings, and are only given the text for the current patch, with notes for context as they are provided by the original team. If anyone is to blame here, it's Hoyo for not providing the correct context that "mute" required literal translation, but then they likely weren't aware that there is no idiom in english that uses "talk to a mute" as an insult. These things happen when translating from one language to another, and blaming "woke translators" for this is just retardation when they kept both her racist lines and her comment about manhole covers (which, as Firefly explains earlier, is where the stowaways and refugees tend to hide).

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
I'm not yet completely sold on Pela with Acheron, as you only get regular debuff application from the Lightcone, and once you ult, she doesn't generate additional stacks anymore as every target already has the debuff. Something like Guinaifen might actually end up being better.
I use Pela with the Resolution LC. It's debuff is different from her ultimate one, so both generate a stack for Acheron. Also her ae defense down is very strong.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
It's debuff is different from her ultimate one
Yeah that's the one I meant. The problem is that when you ult, it applies the def shred and resolution debuff both at once to all targets, so when you auto or skill after, you do no longer generate stacks since it doesn't re-apply on targets that already have it, unlike most other debuffs which refresh.

It's a minor issue, but if you play a fairly high-speed Pela for skillpoint generation, you end up taking turns that do not generate a stack for Acheron and her comp isn't particularly SP heavy to begin with. The def shred is still incredible, of course, but since Pela is such a strong unit for any comp, you're taking away one of the best supports for another team while not getting full value out of her in an Acheron comp.

Last edited:

Tyrr

Liturgist
It's debuff is different from her ultimate one
Yeah that's the one I meant. The problem is that when you ult, it applies the def shred and resolution debuff both at once to all targets, so when you auto or skill after, you do no longer generate stacks since it doesn't re-apply on targets that already have it, unlike most other debuffs which refresh.

It's a minor issue, but if you play a fairly high-speed Pela for skillpoint generation, you end up taking turns that do not generate a stack for Acheron and her comp isn't particularly SP heavy to begin with. The def shred is still incredible, of course, but since Pela is such a strong unit for any comp, you're taking away one of the best supports for another team while not getting full value out of her in an Acheron comp.
Ah ok. You can still first do a normal attack and ult after that for 2 stacks. Also her e4 Ice RES-down counts as a debuff and can give you a stack in cases an enemy already has the other 2 debuffs.
I use her because she is already full build from my Jingliu team. I don't want to fully invest into another 4star Nihility when we most likely get a better 5star in the near future.

My second team performs very well without Pela:
BMqxhfV.jpeg

Saark

Arcane
Patron
Yeah I had to pull off Pela from the Jing Liu team as well, and am now just running her with both Sparkle and Bronya instead, but it's not speed tuned properly anymore so I miss out a lot of value at the moment. They still clear Moc 12 with ease so far, so I'm not really bothering too much with calculating the exact speed I'd need on all of the characters to get full value out of them, since I don't intend to hyper minmax like that unless it's absolutely needed.

Pela is definitely one of the best Acheron partners, I'm just wondering if I wouldn't be better off running an E6 Gui with her instead and pulling Pela back into the Jing Liu team. Sadly don't have either Kafka or Black Swan.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I have no experience with Guinaifen. Can she spam a debuff every turn?
Black Swan and Kafka are much better in a dot team and would be wasted as just debuffers for Acheron. Silver Wolf really surprised me. She was already out of the meta for some time, but is now back big time in the Acheron team. So many debuffs...

Saark

Arcane
Patron
I have no experience with Guinaifen. Can she spam a debuff every turn?
One of her Traces lets her apply the same burn as her Skill with her Basic Attack (need 109% Effect Hit Rate though), and her burn also applies a damage amplification whenever it deals damage, so for any enemy that isn't killed instantly she provides a pretty sizable damage increase. In most situations she's not as good as Pela because of how the math works out on vulnerability debuffs vs defense shred, but she's a good replacement if you want to run Pela with another team instead.

The upside of Gui is that if you do not kill enemies with one cast of Acheron's Ult, you build stacks a bit faster. Guinaifen's skill applies burn to 3 enemies, and each of them will gain an additional debuff when they act, whereas Pela can only apply debuffs on her own turn. Might be more value when the next set of MOC comes around, since I heard that that one is going to be significantly harder with the Moc12 boss having close to 2 million HP.

Reinhardt

Arcane
why they all look same? overdesigned outfits just blend into some weird blob. ching-chong can't into distinct characters...

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Well, I had put it down for a long time and came back to roll on Acheron, so it's just whatever I have on hand.

Usually it's been Black Swan, Natasha and Match 7th. BS helps charge her Ultimate and the rest of the team keeps them alive.
To harness Acheron's full powers you absolutely need two Nihility characters on the team beside her. The best ones are Sliver Wolf and Pela, the second choice is Welt and Guinaifen. On top of that it's best that Acheron and the two Nihility characters have speed of at least 134 or higher.
Acheron's Basic ATK, Skill, and Ultimate increases to 115% (with 1 Nihility character on the team) or 160% (with 2 Nihility characters on the team) of the original DMG respectively.
A fast Sliver Wolf and Pela allow for a rapid Acheron Ultimate charge, with a fast Acheron herself adding on top of that.

A well balanced hyper carry Acheron team leaves every other DMG character in the dust.

https://www.prydwen.gg/star-rail/characters/acheron - This is a good site for this sort of info and various builds.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
why they all look same? overdesigned outfits just blend into some weird blob. ching-chong can't into distinct characters...
Black Swan has a belt on her head, yeah.

I have no idea why they do this almost mock AI art thing, but at least they aren't fat, black lesbians, and the gameplay/writing is amusing enough for me to keep picking it up.

If even my anti-China sentiments aren't enough for me to completely hate it, it must be doing something right.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
To harness Acheron's full powers you absolutely need two Nihility characters on the team beside her.
Not if you have her at E2 or higher. :M

But it's still a good idea as it lets her get her ultimate charged faster. I'm working on building Pela and Silver Wolf for this reason.

Helpful advice all around though, thanks. I started playing this almost when it came out, but gave it up too many times to really learn the ropes.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
There's quite a bit of complexity to building really good teams and fully supporting your carry character. The big benefit of Acherons E2 is that you can drop one Nihility character while still getting the 160% damage multiplier (which is a more% multiplier applied after all the other calculations are done), and slot in a Harmony character that buffs her action economy or gives her massive crit damage or atk% buffs. Sparkle is the obvious candidate here, as you'll be able to swap your SPD for ATK% boots, on top of benefitting from the insane Critdamage buff Sparkle gives. Building less stacks (which is already off-set by her E2 also giving you +1 stack from her Skill), means you'll end up gaining ~40-50% with her E2 alone. It's kind of silly.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Ah, but to do that, I would have to have Sparkle. Which I do not. Sad.

If I'd cleared her introduction to the story, I think I would have rolled her though. She's delightful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom