Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout: The Frontier - New Vegas mod set in Portland and full of prosperous content

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You better believe if Sawyer said he was a brony that Roguey would watch it all within the next 48h and have a fursuit ready.

Even when I liked him, there were a lot of things he was into that I had no interest in.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
There was a time when I thought he was alright too, back when New Vegas came out. But that was 10 years ago, and he's had more chances to succeed than almost everyone else in the industry. Over time, the more I learned about him the less I liked. Since the PoE series debacle, I've just decided he's not actually any good. His design decisions aren't any good. His world crafting decisions aren't any good. And his system decisions aren't any good.

I rage against him so goddamn much because to me, it's painfully obvious that he's bad for the industry. Not because he likes Something Awful goons, not because he hates the Codex, not because he comes off as smarmy and pretentious or intellectual, and not because he's a suckup to Fearg and hates Avellone. He's bad for the RPG industry because his decisions are bad. If he shit gold by way of game decisions, made stuff that was fun and entertaining, or at least supported those concepts and really liked experimentation, then he could be all that shitty stuff above and more and I'd think he was great.

Until he wasn't. Kind of like my views regarding Tim Cain. I kept a candle in the window for that developer for a LOOOOOONG time, and when I finally got something, well... Outer Worlds, no thank you.

These guys are creators and producers of products we consume. We don't owe them anything. If they want our continued support, they make what we like. If they make what they like, and we like it, so be it. If they make what they like, and we don't like it, well there it is. We don't owe Sawyer the benefit of the doubt. This guy headed up PoE 1 and PoE 2, and I don't think anyone can seriously tell you those were great, replayable games.

prengle

Savant
These guys are creators and producers of products we consume. We don't owe them anything. If they want our continued support, they make what we like. If they make what they like, and we like it, so be it. If they make what they like, and we don't like it, well there it is. We don't owe Sawyer the benefit of the doubt. This guy headed up PoE 1 and PoE 2, and I don't think anyone can seriously tell you those were great, replayable games.
it turns out that most "experienced" game devs are just washed up hacks like the rest of us, and not enlightened, telepathic prophets with a grandiose vision for the future of crpgs

DeepOcean

Arcane
C'mon, don't rag on Roguey. Roguey brings a balance to the force. Everyone gushes who MCA, but who gushes on Sawyer?

I actually like Josh Sawyer. Yeah, unpopular I know. I like the Balance Man, even if I do not necessarily agree with all he does
Playing Sawyer mod in New Vegas right now and I like many changes he did, especially on the item economy, enemy health and enemy armor but, oh boy, Saweyrism is fucked up even on mods, okay, explosives are "OP" on New Vegas, so lets have the perk that you had to pick three times to get a 60% damage bonus, only give you 20% more damage so explosives are in line with other weapons, good right?

NOPE, not good at all, explosives, you cant craft them in large numbers until you have the Mad Bomber perk and even there, you sort of depend exclusively of mines and grenades you find, and even to craft those explosives with Mad Bomber, it is a pain in the ass to go carrying all sorts of useless heavy junk to just craft them and now you need to waste two perk points to just get 20% more damage. That is the same thing Cyberbug had of perk points that only gave you 10% more damage. In the end, after all that struggle, your reward is that you have stuff that is barely better than the guns you are using anyway, guns that can do headshots and do critical damage and have AP ammo, mind you. My shotgun does more damage with slugs than my fucking grenade launcher which ammo is way rarer, way heavier to carry around and it cant penetrate DT.

Also, seeing glowing ghouls not being obliterated by even multiple frag mines (that are already time consuming to place, mind you), it is just not fun. Problem of Sawyer is that he really believes balance issues can be solved by theorycrafting and tuning numbers when there are many factors involved, in economy there is a thing called Laffer curve, after a certain point, if the goverment increases taxes, it gets less revenue and not more revenue, someone must tell Sawyer that there is a balance curve and after a certain point, trying to overtune stuff will make your game worse.

Weapons to be fun, there must be some level of asymmetry between them and yes, this type of design will always risk leading to some form of unbalanced gameplay but there must be an equilibrium between something like Cyberbug where whole weapon types break the game making it boring and something like PoE that taste like Hospital food without salt. No, I dont want the same outcome for all weapons even if that is more balanced.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut

snapshot.jpg

typical user

Arbiter
C'mon, don't rag on Roguey. Roguey brings a balance to the force. Everyone gushes who MCA, but who gushes on Sawyer?

I actually like Josh Sawyer. Yeah, unpopular I know. I like the Balance Man, even if I do not necessarily agree with all he does
Playing Sawyer mod in New Vegas right now and I like many changes he did, especially on the item economy, enemy health and enemy armor but, oh boy, Saweyrism is fucked up even on mods, okay, explosives are "OP" on New Vegas, so lets have the perk that you had to pick three times to get a 60% damage bonus, only give you 20% more damage so explosives are in line with other weapons, good right?

NOPE, not good at all, explosives, you cant craft them in large numbers until you have the Mad Bomber perk and even there, you sort of depend exclusively of mines and grenades you find, and even to craft those explosives with Mad Bomber, it is a pain in the ass to go carrying all sorts of useless heavy junk to just craft them and now you need to waste two perk points to just get 20% more damage. That is the same thing Cyberbug had of perk points that only gave you 10% more damage. In the end, after all that struggle, your reward is that you have stuff that is barely better than the guns you are using anyway, guns that can do headshots and do critical damage and have AP ammo, mind you. My shotgun does more damage with slugs than my fucking grenade launcher which ammo is way rarer, way heavier to carry around and it cant penetrate DT.

Also, seeing glowing ghouls not being obliterated by even multiple frag mines (that are already time consuming to place, mind you), it is just not fun. Problem of Sawyer is that he really believes balance issues can be solved by theorycrafting and tuning numbers when there are many factors involved, in economy there is a thing called Laffer curve, after a certain point, if the goverment increases taxes, it gets less revenue and not more revenue, someone must tell Sawyer that there is a balance curve and after a certain point, trying to overtune stuff will make your game worse.

Weapons to be fun, there must be some level of asymmetry between them and yes, this type of design will always risk leading to some form of unbalanced gameplay but there must be an equilibrium between something like Cyberbug where whole weapon types break the game making it boring and something like PoE that taste like Hospital food without salt. No, I dont want the same outcome for all weapons even if that is more balanced.

I think the problem with explosives in NV is they are supposed to be supplementary to your arsenal not main weapon. Of course there is no quickthrow in NV like in Fo4, the other thing is explosives as separate independent skill. Fo2 had right idea about traps as a skill but no landmines, claymores, rarely the game had any booby traps on doors, lockers dragged that skill down.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
On a rating of 1 to numanuma, how shit is this mod?

Can you just skip all the NCR chapters?

Well, I was somewhat stomaching the COD style early NCR main questline, but it's jumped the shark with the secret underground flying aircraft carrier, Enclave space station and Enclave turning Scavs into Borg.

Nobody:
Absolutely nobody:
Mod devs: COD in Fallout, best idea ever.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Well, I was somewhat stomaching the COD style early NCR main questline, but it's jumped the shark with the secret underground flying aircraft carrier, Enclave space station and Enclave turning Scavs into Borg.

Nobody:
Absolutely nobody:
Also: Dead Space in Fallout
Also: Wolfenstein New Order in Fallout
Also: Silent Hills in Fallout
Also: Spec Ops The line in Fallout
Also: Metal Gear Solid in Fallout
What was missing: Fallout in Fallout
Also missing: They reading a fucking book instead of using popamole as references.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Nobody:
Absolutely nobody:
Also: Dead Space in Fallout
Also: Wolfenstein New Order in Fallout
Also: Silent Hills in Fallout
Also: Spec Ops The line in Fallout
Also: Metal Gear Solid in Fallout
What was missing: Fallout in Fallout
Also missing: They reading a fucking book instead of using popamole as references.

People should realize by now that naked references by themselves are pointless, cringy and a waste of time.

If you're gonna reference something, make it funny or meaningful. Otherwise you just remind players of better games/mods than yours.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
Frontier references things in the exact same style FO3 does

I'd be willing to bet Dogecoin that the in-house reasoning why the player shouldn't be able to play footsie with Enclave was the same in the Bethesda studio developing FO3 as it was in the multiples of furry sex pest dungeons Frontier was developed in

maybe Frontier theys/thems had the original design documents to go by

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Frontier references things in the exact same style FO3 does

I'd be willing to bet Dogecoin that the in-house reasoning why the player shouldn't be able to play footsie with Enclave was the same in the Bethesda studio developing FO3 as it was in the multiples of furry sex pest dungeons Frontier was developed in

maybe Frontier theys/thems had the original design documents to go by

Another reason I'm happy I've never played FO3 then. +M

Watching the Wolfenstein New Order cutscene in Frontier was painful enough, I can't imagine having to play it.

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
You people may want to look into the Beyond Skyrim project if you want some more entertainment. That's another discord tranny shitshow.

Flying Dutchman

Learned
Aside from lizard sex and putting collars on your companions to make them SUBMIT, was there any new "fun" fetish things found in this mod?

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Nobody:
Absolutely nobody:
Its not even just the mod devs, Bethesda themselves more or less made a DLC on the idea in Operation: Anchorage. That's how you know its quality shit, they're ripping off the best. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom