Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 76 - online Fallout spinoff from Bethesda - now on Steam with Wastelanders NPC expansion

KVVRR

Learned
the game hasn't gone over 8000 concurrent players since launch. How is this thing still getting updates?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Fallout 76 is the culmination of the decline started in FO3 and FO4. If you thought those games didn't get Fallout, oh boy. Fallout 76 completely shat on it.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
the game hasn't gone over 8000 concurrent players since launch. How is this thing still getting updates?

The same way Talos I Prey happened and killed its marketability, forever destroying Arkane. Also See: Prey 2 & Rune 2 and Human Head/Roundhouse.

:fallout3:
Pete Hines' inhuman attempt at a smile is very apropos, like that of an android trying to replicate from a text description. But there is no soul there at all.

7ozxj5.jpg

Last edited:

Drakortha

Liturgist
76 is such irredeemable shit they should be ashamed to show it off anywhere. But they don't care, because making quality games is not their priority, brand names and marketing is what they are all about. Bethesda was already decline during the Oblivion > Skyrim era, but they have completely flushed themselves down the shit toilet nowadays.

You don't even have to imagine what Starfield will be like, instinctively you already know it's going to be a steaming pile of shit.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Bethesda was already decline during the Oblivion > Skyrim era
Codex has a good archive of the Oblivion era of Bethesda Bullshit, which was actually more brazenly lying about everything Radiant AI until it made Derek Smart look honest, but hadn't gotten to the feelies fraud yet.

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Nuka World apparently came out 5 months ago, without nary a mention.

Assuming it is just a new biome for shooting stuff - with no quests / characters to talk to - like The Pitt was?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Fallout 76 enters new territory with Atlantic City: Boardwalk Paradise! Prepare for an all-new Expedition out in the post-nuclear oasis of New Jersey and take in the dazzling sights, the daring attractions and growing tensions amongst the boardwalk's predominant factions in this developer diary.

Join Bethesda Softworks Community Manager Devann McCarthy along with Senior Quest Designer Ellys Tan, Lead Quest Designer Joshua Moretto and Lead Monetization Designer James Phillips from Bethesda Game Studios as we show you a taste of this exciting free update available to players on PTS today and available on all platforms December 5.

Fallout 76 is slowly spreading out to all sorts of locations in the United States that might potentially have been used for a single player sequel.

Fallout 76 is slowly spreading out to all sorts of locations in the United States that might potentially have been used for a single player sequel.

Doing God's work then. Imagine having to deal with all the potential single player Fallouts from Bethesda:

Fallout 5: you search the wastelands for your grandpa.
Fallout 6: you play that house-keeping robot searching for its synth daddy.
Fallout 7: you search the wasteland for Todd.

The same way Talos I Prey happened and killed its marketability, forever destroying Arkane. Also See: Prey 2 & Rune 2 and Human Head/Roundhouse.

I don't fully follow what you mean, but as a huge fan of Human Head's Rune and Prey, Arkane's Prey was fantastic, unfortunate name aside. Are you not speaking to its quality and saying its name killed its marketability? There's surely some truth in the decline of Arkane technically staring with Prey, seeing as it definitely undersold and only later got respect and found an audience. However, the highly mediocre Deathloop was all everyone I know was playing on Steam at one point. That thing had a big moment. We won't even talk about Redfall.

As far as the quality of the games, Colantonio leaving the company was the beginning of the decline imo, but again, maybe we're talking about two different declines. Arx Fatalis is my favorite Arkane game and that was before their only real "big" commercial success, Dishonored, during a time many might consider them unsuccessful. Even if you just mean monetary decline, how do you reckon the name "Prey" was responsible. Did enough people in 2017 still know of Human Head's Prey to be too confused to buy it?

59qhzk.gif

Yosharian

Arcane
I can't relate to that screenshot at all, I played the game to completion on release and encountered literally no bugs

These days such a game barely exists

BruceVC

Magister
I have purchased Fallout 76 years ago and I still havent played. Is there anyone who has enjoyed it, I looking for positive but honest opinions because Im aware of the criticisms

antimeridian

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I have purchased Fallout 76 years ago and I still havent played. Is there anyone who has enjoyed it, I looking for positive but honest opinions because Im aware of the criticisms
Whatever you do, DO NOT play alone. I've had a good time in FO76 but it was mostly spent playing with friends. There isn't enough substance to enjoy playing solo, but dicking around a big Bethesda game with friends can be pretty fun. If you like Fallout 4's gameplay loop of shoot, explore, craft, repeat, it's all the same here but with some additional MMO grind on top. The map is nice and varied, but less dense than Fallout 4's. The writing is overall even worse. People point to the subsequent expansions which added back NPCs and conventional quests as a huge improvement to the game, but they're largely banalshitboring and nonsensical. The game is best when you're engaging in the events and exploring dungeons with friends, not playing through some slapped-together questlines which are limited to instanced interiors and written to a generally worse standard than usual for Bethesda. Also expect tons of bugs and jank, but if you've played any Bethesda games you know what to expect.

Last edited:

Eli_Havelock

Learned

I don't fully follow what you mean, but as a huge fan of Human Head's Rune and Prey, Arkane's Prey was fantastic, unfortunate name aside. Are you not speaking to its quality and saying its name killed its marketability? There's surely some truth in the decline of Arkane technically staring with Prey, seeing as it definitely undersold and only later got respect and found an audience. However, the highly mediocre Deathloop was all everyone I know was playing on Steam at one point. That thing had a big moment. We won't even talk about Redfall.

As far as the quality of the games, Colantonio leaving the company was the beginning of the decline imo, but again, maybe we're talking about two different declines. Arx Fatalis is my favorite Arkane game and that was before their only real "big" commercial success, Dishonored, during a time many might consider them unsuccessful. Even if you just mean monetary decline, how do you reckon the name "Prey" was responsible. Did enough people in 2017 still know of Human Head's Prey to be too confused to buy it?

59qhzk.gif

Talos I and Rune were both brilliant, yes. So was Prey 2006.

Human Head's Prey 2 was shaping up to be brilliant, but was killed by BethiMax's predatory milestone practices to acquire more of the company. Something seen with other studios published for by BethiMax - even inXile had their turn via Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

With just a few years after the smoking corpse of Prey 2 was dropped, BethiMax marketing would decide to use the Prey name for Talos I and make Colantonio say he liked it for the press. Pete Hines would achieve peak shitbagdom for his role in this and others, like his current crackhead defense for basic bitch Garfield.

After that dick move that made Raphael quit, BethiMax would then turn their sights onto Human Head again. Yes, we liked Rune, it was good. But right after release, Rune 2 was left hanging in the hands of the publisher (I forget who right now) without warning as Human Head changed names to Roundhouse and signed onto BethiMax.

Slapping the name Prey on Talos I after all of this was just enough to bait in those who thought it had anything to do with the 2006 game, and when they found it didn't they reacted hostilely. It also didn't help that Prey's design was antithesis to most casual Click & Drool FPS gamers and they thought it was some modern DOOMB shit.

In a way, this is the reason why lore in this game is so fucked, it was "Fallout" pushed onto someone else's project in repeat of upChuck Cuevas. This would have worked so well in Terminator, which they're already trying to lean hard on and make again with nuFallout lore.

For that matter, [insert BethiMax franchise here] could also have worked as the Barbie game Bugthesduh has always been trying to make in design.

Last edited:

Vyvian

Educated
I've got an ungodly amount of hours into 76 and all I can really say is that it's probably the best 3D Fallout map. I really like Appalachia as a setting, a shame the game around it is trash.
Disappointed when I learned Atlantic City is just another expedition and not a full expansion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom