Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline E3 is dead

TripJack

Hedonist
good riddance i hope other vidya ‘trade shows’ suffer same fate
knus8v.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
He hates learning things about games before they come out.
I don't need a half-billion-dollar CGI propaganda gala to learn that big-budget AAA games will be shit before they come out, any more than I need an endoscope to discover that the next thing to exit someone's asshole will be a turd. It could theoretically be vanilla soft serve, but I'd definitely be putting my money on the turd.

E3 is a celebration of the state of the decline of computer and video games, and is repugnant for that reason. Hypebeasts getting excited and gushy over doctored-up mockup footage of the absolute garbage that has replaced good games just really sticks in the craw.

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
Nearly all the game conventions are cringe.
Just show some gameplay, maybe discuss a few things with fans, that's it.
All conventions are just an excuse to do drugs and have sex in a hotel.

Of course, seeing the general attendee of E3, I could only imagine the debauched and hellish sights that happen at nighttime.
Consumerism attracts low-energy gamers, these events should have evolved into giant LAN parties broken up by unscripted, live demos. "You spent your weekend off from wagecucking to see our games? Here's an early access key."

They do live demos attendees can play during E3 on the floor. That’s always been a part of E3. Was part of the Consumer Electronics Show event too before E3. They’ve always done playable demos people can play, and behind closed door demos where someone plays the game to a room of people live.

The show floor aspect of E3 doesn’t seem to get reported as much though despite it being a thing. Not that there isn’t news that comes out of that, big stuff in recent years being behind closed door leaked footage of Cyberpunk and The Avengers games. But it seems like sites stopped covering the floor as much in like the mid 2010s or something. Maybe even a bit before that. The only recent thing I’ve seen get show floor coverage like everything used to get show floor coverage was Street Fighter 6 during whatever non E3 thing Capcom had the game set up at.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
And nothing of value was lost

The vast majority of the games industry could go tits up tomorrow and have to get real jobs, and I would have the same reaction.

I hope AI puts all these hacks and money grubbers out of work, but more than likely it'll just help them create new and inventive ways to swindle consumers.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Instead of 500 man teams working 5 years of 'crunch time' they will get it down to 300 man teams working 4 years of crunch.

:deadhorse: Crunch harder, bitches!

Humbaba

Arcane
I think the state should subsidise the development of crpgs and put a heavy tax on any other genre of game. Alternatively, ban video games altogether and heavily subsidise miniature wargaming.

LightBringer

Arcane
Developer
Whole industry, nevermind E3 has been cringe for years now.
Just wait till they bring in the AI booth babes.

And nothing of value was lost

The vast majority of the games industry could go tits up tomorrow and have to get real jobs, and I would have the same reaction.

I hope AI puts all these hacks and money grubbers out of work, but more than likely it'll just help them create new and inventive ways to swindle consumers.
Get "real jobs?" That's boomer talk.

Azdul

Magister
Instead of 500 man teams working 5 years of 'crunch time' they will get it down to 300 man teams working 4 years of crunch.

:deadhorse: Crunch harder, bitches!
500 or 1000 man teams were the consequence of target platforms being relatively stable.

In Order 1886, Uncharted, Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption 2 - every texture, scene, every light, every shadow, every animation was massaged by hand through tens of thousands of work hours. The end goal was to create tightly controlled AAA experience - that could be promoted - together with the platform - on shows like E3.

Nowadays there are almost no exclusives - everything is on PC. And before real heavy hitters appeared on Playstation 5 - there are already rumors about PS 5 Pro.

All the impressive fake lightning of Order 1886, Naughty Dog or Rockstar productions - can be replicated by real-time ray tracing. On platforms without enough umph - like Switch - some games are already 'streaming only'.

Despite early unmitigated disasters like 'remastered' GTA Trilogy - AI art will eventually get good enough - and there will be no need to have hundreds of mediocre artists on the project.

I'm not saying that every studio will adapt immediately. I'm pretty sure that from time to time we'll still see projects like Ubisoft's Skulls and Bones. 10 years, 120 mln $$$ - and no way to recoup the costs.

Higher Animal

Arcane
I mean I’m not going to celebrate people going out of work, nor is there any indication that AI or procedural generation will take the place of human input necessarily, but I do think capitalists will vaporize any limitation to their ability to make cents at any cost, and so it will be tried.

Truthfully we see so much now, everything is online, even filtered through others, that the megaton announcement serves no real currency, along with technological and cultural changes. Vampire survivors is what a successful game looks like - addictive feedback loop with mildly original art style playable on kitchen sinks and Israeli drone terminals. How does one exactly massage that to a local announcement that carries more weight than digital marketing does?

Skorpion

Educated
Why do people in this thread keep confusing E3 with a generic gaming convention?
There were NO gamers at E3! It was marketing and industry folks only.
Thats like thinking the Emmy's have real movie goers in attendance and not just industry people, get a clue.
Glad its gone, the only fun that came from it was a few more amusing streamers mocking clips from it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:deadhorse: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/reedpop-and-esa-part-ways-over-e3

ReedPop and ESA part ways over E3​

E3 2024 may still happen, but not at the Los Angeles Convention Center

PAX organiser ReedPop will not be working on future E3 events, the company and the ESA have announced.

The ESA has also informed the Los Angeles Convention Center, which is the traditional home of E3, that it will not be putting a show on there in 2024. The ESA has not cancelled plans for a 2024 event, but if one was to go ahead, it won’t take place in that venue.

GamesIndustry.biz understands that the trade body is also working on a complete reinvention of the E3 show for 2025

ReedPop, which is also the parent company of GamesIndustry.biz, had signed a multi-year deal on E3 in 2023. However, the first effort to relaunch the event failed to get off the ground and the planned 2023 show was cancelled. The decision to end the relationship was a "mutual decision".

“We appreciate ReedPop’s partnership over the past 14 months and support their ongoing efforts to bring industry and fans together through their various events,” said ESA president and CEO Stanley Pierre-Louis.

“While the reach of E3 remains unmatched in our industry, we are continuing to explore how we can evolve it to best serve the video game industry and are evaluating every aspect of the event, from format to location. We are committed to our role as a convenor for the industry and look forward to sharing news about E3 in the coming months.”

“We have enjoyed our time working with the ESA and appreciate their commitment to the games industry as a whole," says ReedPop's games events boss Kyle Marsden-Kish.

"While we will not be involved with the future of E3 we look forward to seeing its evolution and where the ESA takes it.”

The news follows ReedPop’s PAX West in Seattle this weekend, which ran alongside the Nintendo Live show.

Why do people in this thread keep confusing E3 with a generic gaming convention?
There were NO gamers at E3! It was marketing and industry folks only.
Thats like thinking the Emmy's have real movie goers in attendance and not just industry people, get a clue.
Glad its gone, the only fun that came from it was a few more amusing streamers mocking clips from it.

Yeah there were. E3 was an industry trade show, but non industry people had been getting into it more and more as the event got bigger and bigger in the mid 2000s. Pre that public event they started doing right after E3, I definitely remember some bitching from industry people about the public getting ID badges for the show.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I am conflicted.
On one side, I am happy because of E3 demise.
On the other side, where would I get my dose of yearly gaming industry cringe compilation?

deuxhero

Arcane
:deadhorse: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/reedpop-and-esa-part-ways-over-e3

ReedPop and ESA part ways over E3​

E3 2024 may still happen, but not at the Los Angeles Convention Center

PAX organiser ReedPop will not be working on future E3 events, the company and the ESA have announced.

The ESA has also informed the Los Angeles Convention Center, which is the traditional home of E3, that it will not be putting a show on there in 2024. The ESA has not cancelled plans for a 2024 event, but if one was to go ahead, it won’t take place in that venue.

GamesIndustry.biz understands that the trade body is also working on a complete reinvention of the E3 show for 2025

ReedPop, which is also the parent company of GamesIndustry.biz, had signed a multi-year deal on E3 in 2023. However, the first effort to relaunch the event failed to get off the ground and the planned 2023 show was cancelled. The decision to end the relationship was a "mutual decision".

“We appreciate ReedPop’s partnership over the past 14 months and support their ongoing efforts to bring industry and fans together through their various events,” said ESA president and CEO Stanley Pierre-Louis.

“While the reach of E3 remains unmatched in our industry, we are continuing to explore how we can evolve it to best serve the video game industry and are evaluating every aspect of the event, from format to location. We are committed to our role as a convenor for the industry and look forward to sharing news about E3 in the coming months.”

“We have enjoyed our time working with the ESA and appreciate their commitment to the games industry as a whole," says ReedPop's games events boss Kyle Marsden-Kish.

"While we will not be involved with the future of E3 we look forward to seeing its evolution and where the ESA takes it.”

The news follows ReedPop’s PAX West in Seattle this weekend, which ran alongside the Nintendo Live show.
I expected they might try another E3 somewhere cheaper in 2024+, but I really doubt it will last more than a year or two.

Modron

Arcane
I am conflicted.
On one side, I am happy because of E3 demise.
On the other side, where would I get my dose of yearly gaming industry cringe compilation?
GamesCoom.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom