Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Does FromSoftware actually FEAR Dragon's Dogma II?

Is the prophesy true?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kuruwin

Novice
Made with relatively small team by AA-AAA standards and has already sold 2.5+ million copies....definitely a flop.

Odoryuk

Educated
Slightly ironic that the FromSoft open world RPG has more convenience and QoL features and the Capcom one is more hardcore.
Actually, there's nothing more hardcore than using an item you paid additional money for which you can also get in the game for free.

Elttharion

Learned
Presumably MTX were the price Itsuno had to pay to get the game made at all.

Meanwhile every Falcom game ships with 20 shameless level booster DLC and crafting item packs and no one ever complains about that.
I am glad that Capcom got flak for them since they went full retard with their latest games but the mtx/dlcs in DD2 are pretty common on most JRPGs. At least the ones I play. Falcom, Namco, NISA, IF, Koei, etc all include stuff like this in their games. Still, its good that people gave them a bit of a scare, even if I doubt it will change anything in the long run.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
FS definitely has to step their game up. DD2 has shown us the future of ARPGs. The quest design alone in unmatched. Nevermind the combat, AI, and emergent gameplay.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
FS may have won the war but Capcom won this battle. I don't give a single flying fuck about sales or reviews. DD2>>>>>>>>>Elden Ring.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
FS definitely has to step their game up. DD2 has shown us the future of ARPGs. The quest design alone in unmatched. Nevermind the combat, AI, and emergent gameplay.

Not sold, sorry.

Codexers are too prone to contrarian fanboyism this days. Seeing too many obviousy "FromSoft is mainstream now, that means it's shit" posts lately.

Dragon Dogma may be a great game in it's own right but this "future" of ARPGs shit is a massive red flag for me. For starters, in what way is the "combat" not only better in Dragon's Dogma 2, but the future of action RPGs meaning it makes everything FromSoft has done, from Darks Souls to Sekiro redundant?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Doesn't even have proper lock-on. Fighters unable to dance because they can't face each other while moving. Not saying Souls has good lock-on. Cramped camera being locked behind back means you can't see what you back into, be it a drop or whatever.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

Not sold, sorry.

Codexers are too prone to contrarian fanboyism this days. Seeing too many obviousy "FromSoft is mainstream now, that means it's shit" posts lately.

Dragon Dogma may be a great game in it's own right but this "future" of ARPGs shit is a massive red flag for me. For starters, in what way is the "combat" not only better in Dragon's Dogma 2, but the future of action RPGs meaning it makes everything FromSoft has done, from Darks Souls to Sekiro redundant?
I've been a bigger FS fanboy than you for much longer. I wont bother trying to talk you into playing DD. It's not my job to introduce you to great things.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Doesn't even have proper lock-on.
Not an "universal good" mechanic - i.e. not something that can be applied in any melee combat system and would make it unquestionably better
In fact, in games where you have to figth multiple opponents at the same time and they don't care if you're in the middle of an attack, a hard lock-on is usually a bothersome mechanic
Not to mention restrictive for more free flowing movement options - hence why Ninja Gaiden doesn't have it

Codexers are too prone to contrarian fanboyism this days.
Careful now, you are this site's biggest self-admited From fanboy
this "future" of ARPGs shit
That's just SumDrunkGuy being SumDrunkGuy
Give him a few weeks and he'll move on to another game
Possibly Stellar Blade...
in what way is the "combat" not only better in Dragon's Dogma 2
-each combat move has various strengths and weaknesses, some even possess unique properties
-you can customize your moveset, combined with the above the player has a great range of possible playstyles
-classes are very restrictive in what they can use and their stat growth, but the reason and upside for this is that no class plays the same
-enemies are expertly designed, possess a wide array of tactics and properties, yet somehow they all still behave in a unique manner
-pawn system imbues the game with the classic DnD party synergy, in a way that no other ARPG ever managed to come close

In short - it has depth, it has variety, its smartly designed and along with some excellent presentation (that is to be expect from the team that made DMC5), it's just super fun and offers an very distinct gameplay experience

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
That's just SumDrunkGuy being SumDrunkGuy
Give him a few weeks and he'll move on to another game
Possibly Stellar Blade...
Hold up right there cocksucker. I've been firm in my opinions forever, more than alot of people. They almost never change. Chill with the fake news.

Doesn't even have proper lock-on. Fighters unable to dance because they can't face each other while moving. Not saying Souls has good lock-on. Cramped camera being locked behind back means you can't see what you back into, be it a drop or whatever.

Dragon’s Dogma doesn’t need a proper lock-on. The lock-on is there in FromSoftware stuff for the same reason it’s in Devil May Cry, (which is also made by Dragon’s Dogma creator Hideaki Itsuno) it’s there because in those games you’ve got moves which need directional inputs to execute. Dragon’s Dogma on the other hand doesn’t have direction inputs for moves, because moves are tied to a button press. Without the directional inputs there’s really no reason for a standard lock-on system like Devil May Cry or something like Dark Souls have.

Ezekiel

Arcane

Dragon’s Dogma doesn’t need a proper lock-on. The lock-on is there in FromSoftware stuff for the same reason it’s in Devil May Cry, (which is also made by Dragon’s Dogma creator Hideaki Itsuno) it’s there because in those games you’ve got moves which need directional inputs to execute. Dragon’s Dogma on the other hand doesn’t have direction inputs for moves, because moves are tied to a button press. Without the directional inputs there’s really no reason for a standard lock-on system like Devil May Cry or something like Dark Souls have.
Thanks for pointing out another way in which Souls and Dragon's Dogma are inferior. FromSoftware should have used Z-targeting instead of R3 that can't be held down easily, and DD would have benefited as well. R1/Bumper does one attack in Souls, lol. Talk about monotonous. But real-time RPG fighting is just shittier than action (and conceivably action-adventure) by nature.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Meanwhile every Falcom game ships with 20 shameless level booster DLC and crafting item packs and no one ever complains about that.
No one really complained about them in DMC5 either, or MHW. It's just retards being retarded. If DD2 would've released as a "Digital Collectors Edition" for 90$ with those extra Wakestones and other useless stuff, they'd eat that shit up, but if the game just costs 70$ and you can spend 20$ on microtransactions, it's something to autistically screech about. Retards just have no impulse control so they think its somehow necessary to play the game, when all it is is a tax on stupid people.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I don't consider myself a fanboy merely for being skeptical whenever someone says FromSoft combat is totally shit, simplicistic, etc.

I know how Codex hyperbole works since i engage myself in it often but if pushed too much it can become annoying since opinions can't be trusted anymore and i'm then put in a position where the only way to know is to try the game for myself.

Which, for the record, is going to happen eventually for the first Dragon's Dogma, which i have on Steam, all downloaded and installed to boot, just waiting for me to get the itch to try it.

I don't consider myself a fanboy merely for being skeptical whenever someone says FromSoft combat is totally shit, simplicistic, etc.

I know how Codex hyperbole works since i engage myself in it often but if pushed too much it can become annoying since opinions can't be trusted anymore and i'm then put in a position where the only way to know is to try the game for myself.

Which, for the record, is going to happen eventually for the first Dragon's Dogma, which i have on Steam, all downloaded and installed to boot, just waiting for me to get the itch to try it.

The person you were replying to didn’t say any of those words.

They didn’t even say FromSoftware combat was bad, and at least in this thread there doesn’t seem to be any indication they dislike what FromSoftware does.

No one really complained about them in DMC5 either, or MHW. It's just retards being retarded. If DD2 would've released as a "Digital Collectors Edition" for 90$ with those extra Wakestones and other useless stuff, they'd eat that shit up, but if the game just costs 70$ and you can spend 20$ on microtransactions, it's something to autistically screech about. Retards just have no impulse control so they think its somehow necessary to play the game, when all it is is a tax on stupid people.

People complained about it with DMC5 as well. It just didn’t become as much of a thing as with the Dragon’s Dogma 2 DLC. It even went kind of the same way: People found out about DLC, people got mad, people seemed to get over it after finding out the DLC was largely all stuff you could easily get in game and that buying it was completely pointless and stupid. But it was way louder with DD2 than DMC5, and it went on longer.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

They didn’t even say FromSoftware combat was bad, and at least in this thread there doesn’t seem to be any indication they dislike what FromSoftware does.

It's implied when you say DD2 is the "future" of ARPGs making FromSoft games redudant and a thing of the past.

I'm skeptical of such a sweeping claim. It's also becoming clear to me that people who are into action games don't actually "get" FromSoft.

If you follow their argument, combat in Dark Souls or Elden Ring is defacto superior to Sekiro in every possible way. If this doesn't seem right it's because there's something lost in translation there. What they believe makes good combat doesn't actually align to what FromSoft is doing. Sekiro in particular is at the very opposite end of what they are asking from an action game.

As for some of the other stuff like quest design, i have no trouble believing DD has better quests since quests in most FromSoft games are a relatively minor, highly minimalistic thing. Most western RPGs do quests better that's neither here nor there.

I just liked Sekiro more than ER or DS III because I enjoyed cling-clangs more than rolling around. I'm a simple man. Though I definitely don't think I would be able to play many more games like Sekiro, shit would get old fast I imagine. Generally I prefer less rigid combat systems. Sekiro does what it does real well though, couldn't help but love it.

It's implied when you say DD2 is the "future" of ARPGs making FromSoft games redudant and a thing of the past.

I'm skeptical of such a sweeping claim. It's also becoming clear to me that people who are into action games don't actually "get" FromSoft.

If you follow their argument, combat in Dark Souls or Elden Ring is defacto superior to Sekiro in every possible way. If this doesn't seem right it's because there's something lost in translation there. What they believe makes good combat doesn't actually align to what FromSoft is doing. Sekiro in particular is at the very opposite end of what they are asking from an action game.

As for some of the other stuff like quest design, i have no trouble believing DD has better quests since quests in most FromSoft games are a relatively minor, highly minimalistic thing. Most western RPGs do quests better that's neither here nor there.

It’s not implied. Here’s a thing, do you think this other thing is the future? There’s not really any implication, positive or negative in the question.

If anything the implication would more likely be they like FromSoftware’s game, because they see them as something at the top of the heap to be surpassed, and didn’t throw in any qualifiers about what FromSoftware does in a negative. There’s nothing in there about FromSoftware being bad. It is possible to like two things, think both are good, and also think one is better and that there are things that could be learned from the better of the two.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom