Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry 5

I learned to tolerate V because he only takes up 20% of the game, but still don't really enjoy playing him. I have a new Dante Must Die run planned soon where I will avoid using gold orbs, except I don't think I'll stick to that rule for his missions. Why bother gitting gud at character I don't like playing that much? I just hope he never appears in DMC games again, given that his story is fully concluded by the end of DMC V. And yes, all missions should have been playable with all characters, in which case I wouldn't have complained about that faggot at all.

Resident Evil 2 is the only Resident Evil that had the game change like that. In Resident Evil 1 the characters were more like difficulty settings. Jill is like an easy mode, Chris is hard...although he can do more damage and he does have that lighter, but it's harder for him to do everything and he has less inventory room.

This game could've probably done with being structured like Odin Sphere, where you pick a character and that's just your character for that run, and playing as everyone gives you a full picture of what's happening by the end. Although I don't really mind how it is, and Bloody Palace is a mode that lets you pick whoever and fight enemies. More than wishing the main story mode was done differently, I wish Bloody Palace was like some kind of dungeon crawl thing where you've got a little more variety in room layouts. You could so easily throw a handful of different layouts, and layouts that are still the kind of combat arenas in Blood Palace, into Bloody Palace and have it feel like something more than it is.

I recently also started playing DMC5 again and I'm finding the V sections much easier than the first time I played, and I'm getting much higher scores. It's not even that I have him all upgraded either, because I barely upgrade him so the boss fight wouldn't have as much or as powerful stuff to use against me.

I recently also started playing DMC5 again and I'm finding the V sections much easier than the first time I played, and I'm getting much higher scores. It's not even that I have him all upgraded either, because I barely upgrade him so the boss fight wouldn't have as much or as powerful stuff to use against me.

On any difficulty below Dante Must Die V is pretty much "mindlessly mash buttons and get SSS rating anyway".

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
V's gameplay feels like prototype for a summoner class in Dragon's Dogma tbh

Ezekiel

Arcane
The graphics are so annoying. Game was stuck in 30 fps today. Quickly figured out it was V-sync. But looks like shit with it off, and the V-sync in Nvidia settings doesn't work that well. Switching to Borderless Fullscreen did fix it, but that disabled HDR. HDR is implemented badly too. I like it when games trigger it automatically, like Resident Evil 2 and 3, rather than having you activate it in the Display settings of Windows. When I did it the tedious way a few minutes ago and then tried to switch back to Fullscreen in the game (because the colors were all washed out and wrong in Borderless), the video signal just disappeared and the only way I could fix it was by going back to my monitor and restarting Windows.

Latelistener

Arcane
Can't you enable some kind of Freesync / G-Sync? Any modern Nvidia GPU can do that if you connected it via Display Port. And AFAIK AMD can do it even via HDMI.

The graphics are so annoying. Game was stuck in 30 fps today. Quickly figured out it was V-sync. But looks like shit with it off, and the V-sync in Nvidia settings doesn't work that well. Switching to Borderless Fullscreen did fix it, but that disabled HDR.

I had game stuck in 30 FPS for me once, I fixed it by switching framerate from "variable" to "60".

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Just bought Vergil DLC, first gameplay impressions:

milhouse-simpsons.gif

Alphard

Magister
this game controls are shit, and ruins the experience. The targeting especially is atrocious, with the fact you have to hold the button to lock in, and you cannot switch target if you are moving, in a game where you are supposed to always move

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
this game controls are shit, and ruins the experience. The targeting especially is atrocious, with the fact you have to hold the button to lock in, and you cannot switch target if you are moving, in a game where you are supposed to always move
Fckn Souls wankers can't play games for shit unless it's grind to win.

Can't you enable some kind of Freesync / G-Sync? Any modern Nvidia GPU can do that if you connected it via Display Port. And AFAIK AMD can do it even via HDMI.
Modern nVidia GPUs (anything after the 10xx series) can do Gsync over HDMI.

Also, DMC5 is fucking great. Based Itsuno.

Latelistener

Arcane
Modern nVidia GPUs (anything after the 10xx series) can do Gsync over HDMI.
Free solutions based on FreeSync will not work over HDMI for Nvidia. DisplayPort only.

Can't say anything about a G-Sync chip, but if the guy had such a monitor, he wouldn't be complaining about Vsync here.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Not sure what was going on that day, but my issue was more the HDR than the in-game V-sync, which is working right now in both Fullscreen and Borderless. Anyway, I've decided the HDR implementation (the ease of use) in this game is so bad that I'll just play it in RGB like before. Game doesn't even let you change the brightness; you have to do it with your display. Why are these devs so bad and Resident Evil 2's mostly good at the tech?

V's voice actor is bad, acting-wise.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
So all you have to do is enable HDR before you start the game and then make sure the game is in Fullscreen. If you forget to do the first thing, you'll have to close the game completely and start over.

Dante is a mess. No, I'm not getting good. They just smashed together everything, mechanics that worked well on their own but became a clusterfuck as they built on top of what was already there instead of redoing him. But fans expect the same thing from a sequel. Would have been nice if the player could pick and choose abilities from the different styles and then assign them to buttons other than mainly just Circle/B, so that they wouldn't have to switch styles at all. I would consider getting a controller with back pedals. I find cycling between four melee weapons and four projectile weapons clumsy. I know you don't have to have all the weapons on you, that you can carry just two for melee and two for projectiles, but it feels limiting. If I could have picked and chosen and have a mashup of styles in a single one, I would have just mapped the melee weapons to the D-pad, freeing up the triggers for other actions. Yes, that would have limited your projectile weapons, but I don't need so many projectile weapons in a hack and slash. His tools are mostly kind of lame, whether I'm sucking at the game myself or watching videos.

Lambach

Arcane
DmC was a flawed but overall decent action game when judged completely on its own merits. It would've been recieved better without the burden of having to live up to the DMC series proper, and specially without intentionally going out of its way to piss on the fans of the originals.

DmC was a flawed but overall decent action game when judged completely on its own merits. It would've been recieved better without the burden of having to live up to the DMC series proper, and specially without intentionally going out of its way to piss on the fans of the originals.

There are so few action games working in the mold of Devil May Cry, that regardless of being a actually Devil May Cry game, it would've still been judged against DMC 3, 4, and Bayonetta...this exact type of thing happened with that Heavenly Sword game made by the same studio years earlier.

In a theoretical scenario where this game does happen, but it isn't a DMC game it probably ends up worse, because then they wouldn't have Hideaki Itsuno telling them not to do some stupid stuff, and they wouldn't have had him help fix the game for the Definitive Edition release. They would've however avoided all the negative press pre-release when they were saying stupid shit about the previous game and the fans.

I do definitely find the direction of DmC odd. I mean, the whole idea of it was making a Devil May Cry that'd appeal more to the West...Americans. Now you'd think that'd be some radical shift in gameplay, but what Ninja Theory ended up doing was basically a not as good normal Devil May Cry, with a bigger story focus and admittedly some kind looking environments. Like I'd imagine American Devil May Cry would look more like a Devil May Cry version of that Prototype game for '09, that but DMC with attack like you'd expect to see in DMC. But nope, their version of DMC for Americans was basically just DMC but 30fps, (on consoles at release) some unfun system where only certain types of weapons could hurt some enemies, (which was dropped in the Definitive Edition) and a version of Dante that's an asshole.

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Nobody wants to fucking play as V
The asian segment of the fanbase actually quite likes him

What is it about metrosexuals in long black vests that is so appealing to the Japanese? I hope the coming Chinese century will snuff out these low test edgelords and favor big bearded Guan Yu type male characters who value brotherhood and righteousness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom