Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BRUTAL FATE - retro FPS from Brutal Doom creator

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/1409460/view/2926740555241216608

State of Development

Hello everyone, I hope you have all been doing well lately.

First, the bad news: Yes, January 31 2021 was a wildly unrealistic release date for the alpha. It had to be moved to Q3 2021. And no, CP2077 has nothing to do with this.
The pre-development of this game started in January (and I mean, I was still literally learning how to use Blender to make the sprites) and full development started in March. Indie games usually takes 3 or 4 years to be developed, and to think I, as a solo developer, could push a huge FPS game into Early Access at just 10 months of actual development can't be viewed as anything but sheer arrogance. And I apologize for that. I should had measured the date better and not given people hopes of a such early release.

By the time the game got announced at Realms Deep 2020, I was working on this 10 hours a day. I thought I could keep up with this rhythm until January, but turns out, no, I can't. I have been reducing my workflow to healthier hours now. I also had to keep up my promises with my community to release an update to VietDoom.

Now the good news: I have a much better scope for the release. Initially I was thinking about releasing an "Early Access Campaign" with mixed levels from Episode 1, 2 and 3 for testing purposes. I scratched this idea, and decided to focus on releasing the entire Episode 1, fully scripted and voice-acted. I think it's important that everyone's first impression with this game reflects a real taste of the final product.

I have finished writing the story and how the game will end. It has been decided that the game will have 4 episodes, decisions made on episode 2 heavily changes episode 3, (even changing the first level entirely), and then all decisions made on the three first episodes changes the way episode 4 will flow, and the multiple branching paths it will have for different endings.

For this reason, I want to avoid an episodic release, since each update is likely to break compatibility with saves, it will be impossible to track what you did in your previous playthrough and you will need to replay the whole thing every time an update drops. Since episode 1's decisions has little impact on the story, it makes the perfect set of maps to be released during Early Access to collect feedback from the community and supply modders with a good chunk of resources to start building their own levels. And then people can wait for the full release of the game.

In other news, I can also pretty much guarantee that the game will be localized in Spanish, Russian, and German on the first Early Access release. Several community volunteers have been showing up on the Discord to offer translation services.

Also for those eager to check the progress of development, you should join our Discord server.
On the WIP-Development channel I post minor showcases of new stuff.
Currently our leader composer is releasing teasers of the soundtrack, and he is looking for feedback.
https://discord.com/channels/749705001181380739/752220374103621695

Starting later this month, I will start posting regular updates in form of development diaries, where I will record videos showcasing features of the game. The first video will be about the gore system and how it's improved when compared to Brutal Doom, and then a second one will talk about the scenario interactivity, and so on.

Also, I want to thank everyone for the overwhelming support so far and the mountain of the wishlists the game received. Given how poorly planned the reveal was (I had literally zero marketing material, not even a box art mockup finished), things went pretty smooth and the game got a lot traction.}

Hope you are all holding up well, 2020 is almost over (not like a change in the callendar will instantly make things better, but hey there is hope).

- Mark

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

This is a quick preview of Brutal Fate's gore system, just showing basic body destruction and to remember you that I'm not dead. Next weekend I will release the next episode of the Dev Diary foccused on Gore, and it will go deeper into death animations, fire deaths, gib interactions, and more.

I haven't played Prodeus yet so can't say for sure but from what I've seen it sure doesn't look as fun as Brutal Doom (with its stupidest additions disabled).

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
I think this is placeholder levels but it is good to be skeptical, the guy is known for making gore mods for Doom and not for being a good mapper. Also, I like Doom but some, Blood and Duke Nukem clones are sorely missing. Hope he knows what he is doing or at least hire a good level designer.

Curratum

To be honest, the BD "Extermination day" campaign he made was pretty damn ok. Nothing to write home about and the levels all had a "real location" slant which doesn't work all that great in Doom for me, but they weren't bad levels at all and worked well enough with the BD functionality and specific features and gameplay.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

A short demonstration of gibing the basic enemies (the Fiend and the Ghast) with a shotgun headshot and with a direct explosive weapon impact, slowed down so you can see all the details and particles.

ADL

Prophet
This has a nice "early 90s CG" aesthetic that reminds me of some of the modded Daggerfall Unity sprites. Looks very good.
Oh-fug.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1409460/view/3003320140208450276

Development Diary 2 - The Gore
The gore system in detail.

I just released a video on youtube today showcasing the gore system in detail.

You can see the detailed decals and smearing blood, the system that allows you to pickup and throw gibs around, and much more.

For those who think the blood is a bit too much(or just not too much enough), don't worry, there will be options to tune the amount of blood you want to your personal preferences.

Last edited:

geno

Savant
I appreciate the attention to detail this guy has. Most of devs wouldn't bother or even think about work on these little features.
This said, later versions of Brutal Doom feel a bit bloated for my tastes.

Luzur

Good Sir
Story Trailer:

Early Access is planned to begin at the end of this year.

THE STORY SO FAR:
In the end of the 21th century, after a catastrophic nuclear war followed by a famine that wiped out half of Earth, the remaining governments united their military under the same banner in a vow to prevent another disaster, and so the Global Order Alliance was born. Later the G.O.A. united with corporations in an effort to terraform and colonize other planets in the solar system, by using a method that allowed artificial black holes to be created at the center of the planets to imitate Earth's gravity. 60 years later when the terraforming of Mars and Jupiter's moons were completed and mass migration started, the corporations betrayed the Terran governments and decided to declare independency and not use their newfound resources to help Earth get back on it's feet. Their moto was "We terraformed these planets and now everything on them belongs to us. If you want these resources, come and take it."

Betrayed and left for dead, the peoples from all around the world vowed to invade the colonies and take back what belongs to Earth. The armies of the G.O.A. which were once considered heroes and peacekeepers of mankind, became a violent, fanatic, imperialistic military legion. They launched military campaigns against Mars and Io that lasted for decades. Now the year is 2297 and the people of Callisto started rebelling against the corporate rule due to recent strange phenomena caused by the planet's artificial black hole, all the interplanetary communications are shut down by the regime, and the G.O.A. sees this as a perfect opportunity to invade the planet and "liberate" it with the local population's support. The corporate conglomerates warns that the situation in Callisto is "complicated" and warns Earth to stay away from it.

You are part of a special international battalion of the Space Division of the G.O.A. Marine Corps sent to intermediate the situation. After a four month journey, you arrive at the planet with orders to destroy the corporate government forces and secure their industrial facilities. Drone scans shows literally hundreds of thousands of dead bodies littering the streets, apparently they genocided the local populace which saves you from the work of having to watch your targets... Your orders are clear: Descend into the planet with companies of battle-hardened Marines, combat androids, tanks, mechs, gunships and orbital artillery, and eliminate any colonial military forces you may find. They are considered dangerous irregular war criminals and you have no legal requirement to grant them any human rights, engage on contact. All weapons are clear... Exterminate with extreme prejudice, just the way the Marines likes to operate.

The Marines quickly find out that something is wrong. The planet is dead. Non-combatants and colonial guard alike were slaughtered, women and children included. No signs that a war happened here, some bodies defiled in unspeakable macabre religious rituals.

You realize that what killed these people weren't humans, it weren't using guns, and it's still here. An unfathomable evil from beyond lurks these dead streets, its hungry eyes are gazing upon you. Do you have what it takes to survive?

Brutal Fate comes to Steam Early access later this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luzur

Good Sir
The fuck? i searched for Brutal Fate before posting and didnt come up with any results?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom