Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Elttharion

Learned
Besides the edgy haircut the reason shadowhawt is such a popular character is that she is standard issue attractive femoid.

Actually feminine, actually behaves and speaks as straight wymmin in our decadent generation. Even her mannerisms/idle animations are like that.

Compare to tomboy Karlach or edgy wine aunt Minthara. Don't even need to mention the Gith girl.
Any semi attractive female character who isnt a annoying bitch gets popular nowadays. Thats how starved for good looking woman western gamers are.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
r0AJObY.png
This is actually true.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What I really don't get is why on earth after 6 years of development and 3 years of early access Larian decided to cut all unfinished(but cool and important) stuff and release the game with buggy ending a month early?

Okay, if you're scared of Starfield - just postpone to december, you're self-published, you audience will troll you with cyberpunk.jpg, but ultimately understand.
My deeper concern is that Larian decided to spend 6 years of development, 3 of which were in early access, in order to release an 80-hour game that is quite buggy and with a considerable amount of cut content, when they could have released a polished 40-hour game 2 years ago and now be well underway towards completion of the sequel. :M

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What I really don't get is why on earth after 6 years of development and 3 years of early access Larian decided to cut all unfinished(but cool and important) stuff and release the game with buggy ending a month early?

Okay, if you're scared of Starfield - just postpone to december, you're self-published, you audience will troll you with cyberpunk.jpg, but ultimately understand.
My deeper concern is that Larian decided to spend 6 years of development, 3 of which were in early access, in order to release an 80-hour game that is quite buggy and with a considerable amount of cut content, when they could have released a polished 40-hour game 2 years ago and now be well underway towards completion of the sequel. :M

Losers could've sold the game twice for double the money.

:positive:

hellbent

Augur

While I agree that Larian might have set different priorities in EA and released a more streamlined and polished 40 hour product earlier, at least they didn't go the Paradox route and released a feature-poor 20 hour game 4 years ago and trickled out 10 DLCs that generate cash but never really add anything of value to the end product.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I really hate the modern trend that fighters need to be dudes that do a bunch of special attacks rather than just being guys that are good at hitting things regularly to cause steady damage and absorbing damage to protect the party. I blame video games for having passed this "Everyone needs a bunch of special abilities to be fun!" idea down to tabletop.
The game calling itself "D&D 5th edition" is really a superhero game disguised as heroic fantasy, where even 1st-level character possess a bunch of special abilities (part of the reason dual-classing is so game-breaking), and by the time characters reach 5th level they're selecting from which superpowers to use in combat. This is driven by the immense popularity of superhero movies among the "adults" who are the core fanbase for "D&D 5th edition", and Larian simply followed suit by not only implementing the rules from this edition but also creating an overarching story that ultimately feels more like a superhero film than Dungeons & Dragons.

It's not video games, trust me.

I run a 2e group. The party fighter, mechanically, has only *one* option in any fight: "I hit it with my magic sword". Sometimes he'll mix it up and whip out the Arquebus, but that's only ever as opening volley.

He was getting so bored that he'd start trying to do special moves like shoving, sucker-punching or other stuff he knew were mechanical concepts in D20 Conan (his favorite system).

I, as GM, had to work with him, housing ruling stunts he could do because as 2e would have it, either you hit the bad guy with a sword, shoot him with an arrow, or nothing at all.
PHBR1 The Complete Fighter's Handbook, released within months of the core rulebooks for AD&D 2nd edition, contains a bevy of combat maneuvers and similar options for fighters. See also the rulebook Player's Option: Combat & Tactics from 1995.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
While I agree that Larian might have set different priorities in EA and released a more streamlined and polished 40 hour product earlier, at least they didn't go the Paradox route and released a feature-poor 20 hour game 4 years ago and trickled out 10 DLCs that generate cash but never really add anything of value to the end product.
theswedegydv4.jpg

Takamori

Learned
View attachment 40405

For fuck's sake, can I have some consistency? I'm a Cleric of TIAMAT, I don't thank anyone.
If they did dirty Kelemvors cleric what hope you have for Tiamat :lol:
They do have specific options for deities and at least differentiate between Good and Evil faiths though, so they could have had a different line. Not that any of it leads anywhere.
Given the setting they should let every class choose a god. And have clerics lose powers if they go against their tenants like raising the dead as Kelemvor, enjoying BDSM with the Loviatar psycho as a Ilmatter cleric etc.
But given the retard fit the EA testers did back then just with C&C of the tadpoles its like expecting a miracle.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
-Removes weapon abilities (like Cleave, Smash and Pin Down) for default weapons (not on magic weapons yet)

Into the trash it goes, the worst aspect of 5e.
They're copying these BG3 abilities into 'weapon mastery' for 5.5E. Paladins, Ranger, Fighters, Rogues, Monks and Barbarians all get these abilities.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
>imma heck'n make it rules as written!
The rules as written:
Tranny pride parades in Waterdeep.

5E was dead on arrival. Let it rot.

It does bring up the question of why gaymers feel so married to DnD. Near as I can tell, its not a particularly fantastic system (any edition) to begin with, and requires heavy handed modification to translate it from tabletop to CRPG, and the setting and lore just gets increasingly indistinctive and gayer with every edition. Moreover, its derivative to begin with. Why cant people just make their own tolkien rip off? Why do studios feel the need to get into bed with WOTC just have a generic fantasy license?

Takamori

Learned
-Removes weapon abilities (like Cleave, Smash and Pin Down) for default weapons (not on magic weapons yet)

Into the trash it goes, the worst aspect of 5e.
They're copying these BG3 abilities into 'weapon mastery' for 5.5E. Paladins, Ranger, Fighters, Rogues, Monks and Barbarians all get these abilities.
Finally 5e pnp session were the most boring thing on earth with martial class, you either use your beat stick or use your beat stick :lol:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
married to DnD
D&D is enduringly popular because it has the best content.

By content I do not mean rules. Rules are not content, they are what you use to get to the content. D&D rules have always gone between more suck and less suck, but it doesn't matter because content is king. Most attempts to compete with D&D make this mistake: the rules are NOT the draw of the game. Players don't give a flying fuck about rules. D&D competitors either try to go deeper with simulation or shallower, but very rarely compete with D&D's content. Many try to compete by going "more story" but that is just a dumb way of saying a rules-light game. The story doesn't come from the rulebooks anyway.

Content is the 'job' the game does for the players. Some games try to compete with D&D by doing a different 'job.' Mechwarrior gives you giant robots, Star Wars provides Star Wars, Vampire the Masquerade provides lifelong virginity, etc. But very few games go head to head with D&D on content. Most don't even attempt it. The only one who really tried was Pathfinder and oh look, they made a pretty good dent in the market share. Most games that try to compete with D&D specifically shit on the content it provides. They spit on it and loathe it. Go figure, they all fail.

Be Kind Rewind

Educated
Zionist Agent
theswedegydv4.jpg
It's the Belgians, no it's the Swedes, no it's all these 107 nations, oy vey.

judenfzdjx.png

Pathfinder is working in their own OGL after Wizards' backtracking. And D&D is popular because, in the end, it's the most marketed product. And they made sure to make releases tailored to people who had never even played any sort of TT game before with the red box.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom