Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Talk about yourself, I'm not the one needing to extoll my leet skillz at a mainstream AAA Larian game here :lol:
What leet skills? The game is very easy after level 5 and encounter design might well not exist beyond just adding more enemies.

This is only partially about combat difficulty anyway, the primary issue is that the combat becomes samey and boring, which is related to difficulty but not the same thing. You need both some kind of difficulty, variety in enemy behaviour and possibly something that forces you to adapt in some way (like immunities, death effects, dispels, silence, petrification, whatever).
I think encounter design is actually pretty good, it's a rare situation where the hated stat/hp bloat from other games, could imho fix a lot of issues.

Ofc if enemies actually had more tools and used them more intelligently, it would be the best, but even now there are many interesting encounters which, while they won't live up to the greatest tacticool games, could still be enjoyable if enemies were just a little more stronger, or if players weren't getting so much fucking xp unless they straight up skip half of the content.

Spectator fight for example, might be actually decent if he had a little higher stats, and could unpetrify more enemies, and get more chances to CC your dudes before he gets bursted. Just a touch of better stats and HP, and he could go from unpetrifying one guy then getting oneshot by my 2 hasted and blessed rightclickers, to having 1-2 of your guys CCd and multiple enemies unpetrified on turn 2-3, and suddenly you're in a really hard situation. Just not being able to instaburst the nigger, potentially completely changes the fight. Even if you find out different easy ways to win the fight, just the fact that you couldn't just use the same approach you always do and oneshot him, you had to think about other strategies, already pushed us from piss poor easy, to kinda fun and satisfying.

Or even some forgettable dogshit encounter like the weird cat things in the monastery, they have the gimmick of "magic allergy", eg. when you use magic close to them, on their turn it causes different random effects, they can get buffs, or explode, or do an aoe push, etc.. It COULD be an interesting little fight if that gimmick had a chance to actually activate and make any difference, it could force you into thinking about not using magic for the fight, etc.. But all these little niggers have fucking 20 hp and die in one fireball, so the gimmick ends up being COMPLETELY irrelevant and they could be replaced with any different 20hp creature and it would go exactly the same.

There is a shitload of encounters like that, that's why I want Swen to fix the balance. If I thought the game is fundamentally broken and encounter design is unredeemably bad, I would just say its shit and move on, but I think it could be a decent tacticool game, and it wouldn't even require that much work from Larian, just tweaking the numbers here and there should be enough to push it from piss poor easy to pretty fun. It wouldn't be a masterpiece of the tacticool genre, but it doesn't need to be, just have enough challenge to make lvlups and hunting for gear exciting, and engage your brain a little in combat.

But that is kind of what I mean, the components are there, they are just not used. There are interesting abilities and combinations of enemies that could be fun but they are not used in ways that make players adapt in any meaningful sense.

The Spectator fight is another matter though, that was actually pretty well designed but he is just too weak, but that is fairly unique, adding more hp to other enemies wouldn't make it more interesting it would make it more tedious.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Based Larian exposing the gaming press hypocrisy. You culture warrior fags should rejoice!

afbeelding.png
It is just explosing that gaming is full of gays that hate women.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
So is it confirmed that going 0 Illithid does fucking nothing and gets you no reaction?
The dream companion will react if you don't use it enough in Act 1. I know that Shadowheart will comment if you ask her to use a special tadpole when she hasn't even used basic abilities.

I spammed every illithid option after that though, so no word yet. It's really tempting, what can I say?

Reminds me of the powers in Geneforge.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Just finished the game. And I'm stunned at the ending. Is that it? I'm the hero of Baldur's Gate, at least the narrator assumes I should be feeling like that by the way she talks. I couldn't care less about the city. Way too epic story with no stakes that affect your character. Everything is companion related. In my game, it was Lae'zel's story. She got a pretty good send off and her involvement in the storyline actually made sense. Everyone else was a sidekick, even the main char. What a damn mess.

The game is marketed like you have all these choices and agency about where your character will end up. Just to end up with a Mass Effect style multi-color option at the end.

Kek.
I got two endings before reaching Act 3 proper. Haven't made it to the end of Act 3 though.

I find it funny that people are demanding ending slides for a game series that only had them in one expansion, and all of the slides got ignored by Wizard's of the Coast when they made this game.

BG1&2 themselves only had single endings. Serevok dissolving and Irenicus dropping into a pit of lava. Not even multiple colors.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I'm just at the fight in Moonrise Tower to kill Ketheric, it's the first fight at the ground floor against Zdrell or whatever that Orcs name is.
Jaheira and the harpers at our side. Round 1 Jaheira charges forward casts Ice Storm and is then killed immediately the moment enemies got their turn. She was sporting an AC of 13. I bet the harpers are proud to have such an elite force at their hand. Famous druid.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Just finished the game. And I'm stunned at the ending. Is that it? I'm the hero of Baldur's Gate, at least the narrator assumes I should be feeling like that by the way she talks. I couldn't care less about the city. Way too epic story with no stakes that affect your character. Everything is companion related. In my game, it was Lae'zel's story. She got a pretty good send off and her involvement in the storyline actually made sense. Everyone else was a sidekick, even the main char. What a damn mess.

The game is marketed like you have all these choices and agency about where your character will end up. Just to end up with a Mass Effect style multi-color option at the end.

Kek.
I got two endings before reaching Act 3 proper. Haven't made it to the end of Act 3 though.

I find it funny that people are demanding ending slides for a game series that only had them in one expansion, and all of the slides got ignored by Wizard's of the Coast when they made this game.

BG1&2 themselves only had single endings. Serevok dissolving and Irenicus dropping into a pit of lava. Not even multiple colors.

Trust me, you'll beat the game and be on the same side as the rest of us. This is hands down one of the worst RPG endings I've seen in years.

I don't even consider myself a hater. There's a lot to like about the game. But the ending is just poorly made and structured.

Zayne

Scholar
Jaheira and the harpers at our side. Round 1 Jaheira charges forward casts Ice Storm and is then killed immediately the moment enemies got their turn. She was sporting an AC of 13. I bet the harpers are proud to have such an elite force at their hand. Famous druid.
You have to use Otiluk's Sphere on her in that fight. Otherwise - bye-bye Jaheira and you'll miss quite a bit in act 3.

Sunri

Liturgist
You have to use Otiluk's Sphere on her in that fight. Otherwise - bye-bye Jaheira and you'll miss quite a bit in act 3.
Or you can just tell her to follow you get her as follower and control her

Takamori

Learned
I'm just at the fight in Moonrise Tower to kill Ketheric, it's the first fight at the ground floor against Zdrell or whatever that Orcs name is.
Yeah thats why I forced her into my party, shit was pathetic. At least with me controlling she won't get nuked first turn.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Wasn't there a famous harper in BG1 that went from taking on dragons and Bhaal cultists to getting 1-shotted by some random with glowing eyes and his low-level henchmen?

I fried the orc with 3 or 4 fireballs before she ever did a thing, but I didn't have Jaheira with me.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I'm going to take a break from the game and wait for patches. Just in case.
Heh, at the speed I'm playing I probably reach act 3 when it's all patched up. Just wasted 2 hours to try and beat the phase spider and got roundly beaten. Probably come back there when I'm a bit higher than level 4

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
They actually did decently in my game. I only lost one harper. She did slip on her own ice though.

I guess the time and boxed wines took their tool.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Just wasted 2 hours to try and beat the phase spider and got roundly beaten.
I just snuck in and caught it by surprise. Killed it before it hatched any of its young. Got an achievement for it too. Whole fight ended up taking 2 minutes. Balanced difficulty though.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
After the Jaheira fight, I go upstairs to Kethric and there's another giant fight without a long rest? Is this real? I used up everything in the first part, there's nothing to do here.
this shit is unbelievable, bug after bug.
I finish the second find on "normal", want to rest, but my 200+ provisions are just gone. I have no rest supplies.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Just wasted 2 hours to try and beat the phase spider and got roundly beaten.
I just snuck in and caught it by surprise. Killed it before it hatched any of its young. Got an achievement for it too. Whole fight ended up taking 2 minutes. Balanced difficulty though.
I killed its two bigger spiders, all 10 smaller spiders but the queen itself just hit too hard

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Heh, at the speed I'm playing I probably reach act 3 when it's all patched up. Just wasted 2 hours to try and beat the phase spider and got roundly beaten. Probably come back there when I'm a bit higher than level 4
Well, in my game the genius spider just teleported twice ending up on the destructible web. He fell down twice, taking massive damage and wounding spiders under him.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Well, in my game the genius spider just teleported twice on the destructable web. He fell down twice, taking massive damage and wounding spiders under him.
lol, what? you lucky bastard

hellbent

Augur
Surprised she didn't bury the party within the AOE of Ice Storm. Might have been better off casing Barkskin on herself with that terrible AC.

ArchAngel

Arcane
After the Jaheira fight, I go upstairs to Kethric and there's another giant fight without a long rest? Is this real? I used up everything in the first part, there's nothing to do here.
this shit is unbelievable, bug after bug.
I finish the second find on "normal", want to rest, but my 200+ provisions are just gone. I have no rest supplies.
Those damn rats!

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
I actually have a serious frame drops in Baldur's Gate. On my brand new rig. I might have to drop settings from ultra.

Huh. Makes you suspicious about the console release. I don't think pleb machines will be able to handle this.

:philosoraptor:

I sense drama incoming.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I killed its two bigger spiders, all 10 smaller spiders but the queen itself just hit too hard
In fairness, I was probably waaaaay overleveled for that fight. I came back and did it just before taking the western road. I think I was level 5 or 6. I probably could have easily taken her even if I didn't sneak in and knock her off her web at the start.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom