Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Aspects of computer role-playing games that satisfy you the most

What in an RPG satisfies you the most?

• Character creation. I spend hours on it (if applicable) then I'm often let down by the game itself.

• Party composition and general party progression / planning party-based tactics.

• Hearty, deep, tactical combat. The more complex the better, regardless of TB vs RTwP.

• The game's storyline, its in-game history, and the setting the game takes place in. I'm a storyfag.

• The consequences that result from my choices in the game, such as the decision to kill an NPC.

• Graphics, visual presentation, sound, score, etc. Anything on a surface level that's aesthetic.

• Inventory management, finding better equipment, that sort of thing. It's a Tetris life for me.

• Romantic relationships in the game, if applicable. I've ridden the bull, humped a bear, you name it

• Honestly, nothing about RPGs gives me satisfaction (other than bitching about them on Codex) (kc)

• The exploration, discovery, and general sense of adventure associated with RPGs. Fun!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Missing perhaps a few items, such as:

Base building
Modding
Well written companions

Not that I necessarily would choose any of them, but I know some people just might. Or maybe I would pick companions - this is not to be mixed with romance.

Zlaja

Arcane
Should have added "clicking on the uninstall button". And no, that's not a joke. Uninstalling a game of your HD can be seriously satisfying, whether you're doing it because the game is trash and you just can't stand it no more, or because you've finished your journey with it and are ready to move on.

hellbent

Augur
I'm guilty of tacticsbuggery and especially enjoy building up a weak party over the course of a campaign. If the combat is good and the other aspects aren't annoying, I can get multiple playthroughs out of trying other approaches and party combinations.

Surprised that min/maxing isn't on the poll since a number of codexers are obsessed with it (and their autism has given me quite a bit of insight on my own builds).

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Yet another idiotic poll with tryhard and largely nonsensical options.
W52R2c7.jpg

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Too many to count.
Like when the game succeds in giving your character classes cool abilites. Implemented fly or cool transformation spells, a vampire game in which you get actually fun vampire powers - stuff like that.
Or a night/day cycle that affects monster behaviour so you can sneak around certain monsters if you caught them during their sleeping hours. Monsters that behave like an actual predators.
Character clothing and armor that looks great. Fantasy world that actually looks fantastical.
Story and world that doesn't sound like authors are ashamed of the genre.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Could have picked any or all of them really. To me the CRPG is a gesamntkunstwerk that's iterating its way to being a perfect "holodeck" adventure simulator (except you're sitting on your arse in a Herman Miller :) ), so yeah, all of it.

But if I had to pick, it's the tactical combat and the general world-building of the virtual world.

duskvile

Fabulous Optimist
The more complex the better, regardless of TB vs RTwP.
Complex combat could fall into a trap to be time consuming and time stealing which is not good.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What a thoughtful poll, Crispy!
Exploration is entirely absent from the poll. :rpgcodex:

aENvRgD.gif

Warlord: This is good, but what is best in RPGs?
Warrior: Collaborative story-telling, choice & consequences, cinematic narrative, and companion romances.
Warlord: Wrong! Conan, what is best in RPGs?
Conan: To crush your enemies, explore their dungeons, and to see the glitter of their treasure.
Warlord: That is good. [crowd cheers]

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Exploration is my number one. I had a really tough time picking the other two though. I was bummed to see sound / music hanging out with graphics. I really like a good many game soundtracks and they add to the experience greatly for me. Not sure I would have picked sound & music as my 2nd or 3rd choice anyways. Was fun considering all the options.

Bibbimbop

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
I voted romances, but only because Crispy is a horrible human being and deserves to have his polls shitted up.

The real joy is finding an exploitable mechanism and breaking the gameplay.

Shaki

Arbiter
Combatfaggotry = buildfaggotry > explorationfaggotry.

I want to manage my party and make cool builds, explore interesting dungeons and have challenging fights with the monsters inhabiting them. This is what RPGs are about, everything else is pointless fluff for homosexuals.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom