Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

A List of RPGs - A Codex Collaboration

ropetight

Savant
Felipe's book is great, and this list isn't made to compete with that.
I know, but interactivity with link to various topics gives it different form of usefulness.

Last edited:
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
This thread is getting more and more amazing, it is informative and useful than felipepepe's RPG book.
It's coming along nicely. I already exhausted every game I've played, so hopefully someone comes in and can be more specific with tags on the games. I can only get so far by reading multiple reviews/articles/watching gameplay/etc. for some tags to add.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Deep Sky Derelicts
Released: September 26, 2018
Country of Origin: Finland
Developer: Snowbound Games
Publisher: Fulqrum Publishing
Tags: Turn-based, Party-based, Space, Sci-Fi, Roguelite, Hand Painted Graphics, Deck Builder, Procedural Generation

Dex
Released: May 7, 2015
Developer: Dreadlocks Ltd.
Publisher: Dreadlocks Ltd.
Tags: Sidescroller, Platforming, Cyberpunk, Non-linear, 2D, Classless, Single Character, Stealth

Soundtrack
Codex Thread
Let's Play by Insomnia Knights

Dungeon Hack
Released: 1993
Country of Origin: USA
Developer: DreamForge Intertainment
Publisher: Strategic Simulations
Tags: DOS, NEC PC-9801, First Person, Random Dungeon Generation, AD&D 2nd Ed., Optional Permadeath, Pixel Graphics, Dungeon Crawler, Single Character, Custom Difficulty

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Here is a link to database I have for all RPG's (up to 2013) + I sorted the GOTY for 2012-2015 in the proper order beause it isn't like that in the original doc (ex. DA:I is like 5th for 2014, but it's supposed to be last place).

The large list of all RPGs is ~85% correct, but MobyGames does have some wonky release dates so it's always good to double check those (+ some additions that aren't actually RPGs, release dates for console but not PC, Devs/Publishers for non PC platform, etc.).

Last edited:
Drakensang: The River of Time
Released: February 19, 2010
Country of Origin: Germany
Developer: Radon Labs
Publisher: DTP Entertainment
Tags: RTwP, Party-Based, Isometric, Hub Worlds, Non-Linear, Fantasy, 3D, Dark Eye Ruleset
#47 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #52 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #85 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Released: March 20, 2006
Developer: Bethesda Softworks
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Tags: Real-Time, First Person, Action, Hack & Slash, ARPG, Character Creation, Open World, Fantasy, Great Soundtrack
#99 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Expeditions: Viking
Released: April 27, 2017
Country of Origin: Denmark
Developer: Logic Artists
Publisher: THQ Nordic
Tags: Turn-Based, Squad-Based, Isometric, Hex Grid, Historical, Vikings, Choices Matter, Story Rich, 3D, Open World, Non-Linear, Great Soundtrack
#6 Codex GOTY (2017), #83 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Pools of Darkness
Released: 1991
Developer: Strategic Simulations
Publisher: Strategic Simulations
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Dungeon Crawler, 2D, DOS, Mac, Amiga, PC-98, Forgotten Realms, Gold Box
#63 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #49 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #47 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #99 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Realms of Arkania I: Blade of Destiny
Released: April 1992
Developer: Attic Entertainment
Publisher: Fantasy Productions
Tags: Turn-Based, Grid-Based Movement, Party-Based, Isometric, First Person Exploration, Fantasy, MS-DOS, Amiga, Dark Eye Ruleset
#63 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #36 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #92 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Add to the Remake Entry (Maybe you wan't to combine that one into this original one): Remake Release Thread

Tales of Maj’Eyal
Released: December 31, 2012
Country of Origin: France
Developer: Netcore Games
Publisher: Netcore Games
Tags: Turn-Based, Class-Based, Isometric, Dungeon Crawler, Traditional Roguelike, Procedural Generation, Indie, Moddable
#4 Codex GOTY (2012), #21 Codex Age of Incline (2012-2016), #88 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Tyranny
Released: November 10, 2016
Developer: Obsidian Entertainment
Publisher: Paradox Interactive
Tags: RTwP, Party-Based, Isometric, Classless, Story Rich, Choices Matter, Multiple Endings, Dark Fantasy, Hub Worlds, Great Soundtrack
#26 Codex GOTY (2016), #44 Codex Age of Incline (2012-2016), #95 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Ultima VI: The False Prophet
Released: June 1, 1990
Developer: Origin Systems
Publisher: Origin Systems
Tags: Party-Based, Top Down, 2D, Pixel Graphics, Point & Click, Dungeon Crawler, Puzzles, MS-DOS, Atari-ST, Amiga, C64, PC-98
#34 Codex Best Vintage RPGs, #42 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #96 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Undertale
Released: September 15, 2015
Developer: Toby Fox
Publisher: Toby Fox
Tags: Top Down, Puzzles, 2D, Pixel Graphics, Indie, Bullet Hell, Multiple Endings, Great Soundtrack
#49 Codex GOTY (2015), #130 Codex Age of Incline (2012-2016), #94 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Wizards & Warriors
Released: October 4, 2000
Developer: Heuristic Park
Publisher: Activision
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Class-Based, First Person, Blobber, Exploration, 3D, Factions
#71 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #99 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Last edited:
Can you publish here the GOTY 2012 and 2013 lists you got that way?

Here is a link to database I have for all RPG's (up to 2013) + I sorted the GOTY for 2012-2015 in the proper order beause it isn't like that in the original doc (ex. DA:I is like 5th for 2014, but it's supposed to be last place).

The large list of all RPGs is ~85% correct, but MobyGames does have some wonky release dates so it's always good to double check those (+ some additions that aren't actually RPGs, release dates for console but not PC, Devs/Publishers for non PC platform, etc.).

As to where I got the list in general, you can go to the doc linked in the age of Incline article and click on the sheets for specific years. My doc just sorts them properly. I link to the Age of Incline article because I didnt see a seperate article for those years so the data is only found in the Age of Incline vote.

I'm switching up how I'm going about picking games to submit because half the games on GOTY lists aren't even RPG's and I'm tired of curating those lists. So, get ready for some beautiful Russian jank for my next few posts:

7,62 High Calibre
Released: August 24, 2007
Country of Origin: Russia
Developer: Apeiron
Publisher: 1C Company
Tags: RTwP, Isometric, Point & Click, Party-Based, Tactical, 3D, Sequel, Contemporary, Mercenaries, Non-Linear, Multiple Endings
#221 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

A.I.M.: Artificial Intelligence Machines
Released: February 27, 2004
Developer: SkyRiver Studios
Tags: Real-Time, Action, First Person, Third Person, Vehicle Combat, Open World, Sandbox, Sci-fi, Robots, AI, Factions

^^My personal recommendation to people

Battle Mages
Released: October 10, 2003
Developer: Targem Games
Publisher: Buka Entertainment
Tags: Real-Time, RTS, Class-Based, Top Down, 3D, Fantasy, Magic, Army Management

Brigade E5: New Jagged Union
Released: July 29, 2005
Tags: RTwP, Isometric, Party-Based, Contemporary, Mercenary, Tactical

COPS 2170: The Power of Law
Released: April 16, 2004
Developer: ZAO MiST Land
Publisher: Russobit-M
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Top Down, Tactical, 3D, Cyberpunk, Female Protagonist, Non-Linear, Choices Matter, Great Soundtrack

Sea Dogs
Released: November 24, 2000
Developer: Akella
Tags: Third Person, Action, ARPG, Naval Combat, Open World, Pirates, Choices Matter, Non-Linear, Moddable

Sea Dogs II (Pirates of the Caribbean)
Released: June 30, 2003
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Tags: Real-Time, Action, ARPG, Third Person, 3D, Pirates, Open World, Choices Matter, Moddable

Sea Dogs (Age of Pirates): Caribbean Tales
Released: September 12, 2006
Tags: Real-Time, Action, ARPG, Third Person, Naval Combat, Open World, Choices Matter, Pirates, Moddable

Sea Dogs (Age of Pirates 2): City of Abandoned Ships
Released: May 26, 2009
Publisher: Playlogic
Tags: Real-Time, Action, ARPG, Third Person, Naval Combat, Open World, Choices Matter, Pirates, Moddable
#178 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Sea Dogs: To Each His Own
Released: February 12, 2016
Developer: BlackMark Studio
Publisher: Akella

Last edited:
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
Released: May 22, 2013
Country of Origin: Hungary
Developer: Neocoregames
Publisher: Neocoregames
Tags: Hack & Slash, aRPG, Gothic, Adventure, Isometric
#5 Codex GOTY (2013), #175 Codex Age of Incline (2012-2016)

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II
Released: May 22, 2014
Country of Origin: Hungary
Developer: NeocoreGames
Publisher: NeocoreGames
Tags: Action, ARPG, Hack & Slash, Indie, Gothic, Steampunk, Isometric
#34 Codex GOTY (2014), #166 Codex Age of Incline (2012-2016)
Add Thread: Van Helsing Series Thread

Avernum: Escape from the Pit
**Escape from the Pit was re-released in April 2012 for windows**
Avernum Original: #186 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Avernum 2: Crystal Souls
Remake Released: January 14, 2015
Remake: #18 Codex GOTY (2016), #60 Codex Age of Incline (2012-2016)
Original: #203 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Avernum 3: Ruined World
Remake Released: January 31, 2018
Remake: #11 Codex GOTY (2018)
Original: #203 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Avernum 4

Avernum 5

Avernum 6
#203 Codex Best RPGs (2019)
These changes are still yet to be added^

Dark Tower Conspiracy
Release: May 22, 2006
Developer: Semargl Game Studio
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Diablo-like, Class-Based, Party-Based, Point & Click, Isometric, 3D, Fantasy

Dawn of Magic
Release: December 16, 2005
Developer: SkyFallen Entertainment
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Point & Click, Isometric, Magic, Multiple Endings, Fantasy

Dawn of Magic 2
Release: September 8, 2009
Developer: SkyFallen Entertainment
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Point & Click, Isometric, Magic, Fantasy

Day Watch
Release: May 16, 2007
Developer: Nival Interactive
Publisher: Noviy Disk
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Isometric, Tactical, Action Points, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Vampire, 3D, Female Protagonist

Death Blade
Release: 1996
Developer: Crystal Reality
Publisher: Crystal Reality
Tags: Real-Time, First Person, Pseudo 3D, Dungeon Crawler, Mac

End of Twilight
Release: November 1, 2001
Developer: Craftpath Software
Publisher: New Media Generation
Tags: Turn-Based, Third Person, Grid-Based Movement, 3D, Norse Mythology, Viking, Fantasy

Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul
Release: October 26, 2000
Tags: RTwP, Action, Top Down, Point & Click, Party-Based, Stealth, Strategy, 3D, Crafting, Non-Linear, Fantasy, Magic, Story Rich, Hub Worlds

GODS: Lands of Infinity
Release: April 7, 2006
Developer: Cypron Studios
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Third Person Combat, First Person, 3D, Exploration, Fantasy, Female Protagonist

Hammer & Sickle
Released: April 29, 2005
Developer: Nival Interactive, Novik&Co.
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Isometric, Tactical, Non-Linear, Contemporary, Cold War, 3D, Choices Matter, Non-Linear, Multiple Endings

Night Watch
Release: August 18, 2005
Publisher: Noviy Disk
Tags: Real-Time Turn-Based, Party-Based, Action Points, Isometric, Point & Click, 3D, Sci-fi, Fantasy, Based on Novel

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Release Date: February 13, 2018
Country of Origin: Czech Republic
Developer: Warhorse Studio
Publisher: Warhorse Studio
Tags: First Person, Action, Medieval, Open World, Kickstarter, Choices Matter, Non-linear, Realistic, Moddable

ELEX
Released: October 17, 2017
Developer: Piranha Bytes
Tags: Open World, Third Person, Action, Factions, Classless, Post-apocalyptic, Choices Matter, Base Building, Science Fantasy

Mount & Blade: Warband
Released: March 31, 2010
Country of Origin: Turkey
Developer: TaleWorlds Entertainment
Publisher: TaleWorlds Entertainment
Tags: Action, Army Management, Open World, Sandbox, Strategy, Moddable, First Person/Third Person, Medieval, Singleplayer, Multiplayer

Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen
Released: 1992
Developer: New World Computing
Publisher: New World Computing
Tags: First Person, Party-based, Pixel Graphics, Fantasy, Turn-based Combat, Class-based, Non-linear

Might and Magic V: Darkside of Xeen
Tags: First Person, Party-based, Pixel Graphics, Fantasy, Turn-based Combat, Class-based, Non-linear

Last edited:
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Release Date: February 13, 2018
Country of Origin: Czech Republic
Developer: Warhorse Studio
Publisher: Warhorse Studio
Tags: First Person, Action, Medieval, Open World, Kickstarter, Choices Matter, Non-linear, Realistic, Moddable
#2 Codex GOTY (2018), #34 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

ELEX
Released: October 17, 2017
Developer: Piranha Bytes
Tags: Open World, Third Person, Action, Factions, Classless, Post-apocalyptic, Choices Matter, Base Building, Science Fantasy
#7 Codex GOTY (2017), #38 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Mount & Blade: Warband
Released: March 31, 2010
Country of Origin: Turkey
Developer: TaleWorlds Entertainment
Publisher: TaleWorlds Entertainment
Tags: Action, Army Management, Open World, Sandbox, Strategy, Moddable, First Person/Third Person, Medieval, Singleplayer, Multiplayer
#44 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #56 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #39 Codex Best RPGs (2019)

Might and Magic IV: Clouds of Xeen
Released: 1992
#24 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #28 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #40 Codex Best RPGs (2019), #48 Codex Best Vintage RPGs

Might and Magic V: Darkside of Xeen
#24 Codex Best RPGs (2013), #28 Codex Best RPGs (2014), #40 Codex Best RPGs (2019), #40 Codex Best Vintage RPGs

Hard to Be a God
Released: October 18, 2007
Developer: Akella, Burut Creative Team
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Hack & Slash, Isometric, Third Person, Medieval, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Based on Novel

Heath: The Unchosen Path
Released: March 2001
Developer: Burut Creative Team
Publisher: Russo-bit M
Tags: Turn-Based, Isometric, Fantasy, 3D, Multiple Endings, Adventure, Overworld Map

I of the Dragon
Released: December 11, 2002
Developer: Primal Software
Tags: Real-Time, Action, Third Person, Fantasy, Dragons, Strategy, Open World, Hub Worlds

Konung: Legends of the North
Released: September 6, 1999
Developer: 1C Company
Tags: Real-Time, Party-Based, Isometric, Point & Click, Fantasy, Medieval, 3D, Town Building, Resource Management

Konung 2: Blood of Titans
Released: February 21, 2003
Tags: Real-Time, Party-Based, Isometric, Point & Click, Fantasy, Medieval, 3D, Town Building, Resource Management

Konung 3: Ties of the Destiny
Released: November 6, 2009

Marauder
Released: November 8, 2009
Publisher: Buka Publishing
Tags: RTwP, Isometric, Strategy, Tactical, Based on Novel, Contemporary, War, Anarchy

MetalHeart: Replicants Rampage
Released: April 30, 2005
Publisher: DreamCatcher Interactive
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Isometric, Sci-fi, Space, Post-Apocalyptic, Cyborgs, Mutants, 3D

Paradise Cracked
Released: September 24, 2002
Developer: ZAO MiST Land
Publisher: Buka Entertainment
Tags: Turn-Based, Party-Based, Isometric, Hex-Grid, Cyberpunk, Tactical, Strategy

There are now 250 entires in the list with my previous post. We have games from 27 countries, featuring 38 years of release (1981 at the earlierst, 2022 at the latest). Here are some basic highlights of the data so far:

Top 10 - by Country Total
CountryTotal
USA
108​
Russia
33​
Germany
23​
Japan
19​
France
11​
Canada
10​
Poland
7​
Hungary
5​
Finland
5​
Belgium
5​

Split by Era
EraTotal
1980-1984
1​
1985-1989
8​
1990-1994
25​
1995-1999
16​
2000-2004
33​
2005-2009
29​
2010-2014
97​
2015-2019
34​
2020-Present
7​

Top 10 - by Release Year Total
Release YearTotal
36​
22​
18​
15​
9​
9​
9​
9​
8​
8​
8​

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There's no Y entries yet, but Y?

Yakuza 0
Released: January, 28, 2021
Country of Origin: Japan
Developer: Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio
Publisher: SEGA
Tags: Action, Story Rich

Yakuza 3 Remastered

Yakuza 4 Remastered

Yakuza 5 Remastered

Yakuza 6: The Song of Life
Released: March, 25, 2021

Yakuza Kiwami
Released: February, 19, 2019

Yakuza Kiwami 2
Released: May, 9, 2019

Yakuza: Like a Dragon
Released: November, 10, 2021
Tags: Turn-based, Party-based, Story Rich
#2 Codex GOTY (2020)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom