Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA prepares to fuck up another RPG

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Come on, this has to be a really bad joke.
I mean...they cant...
Or can they really...?

Destroid

Arcane
Bizarre. I was always under the impression that once you gave something away for free that was it, you couldn't take it back again.

Nex

Cipher
I would have thought so too. I still have a copy of it which came on a pc mag cd.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Destroid said:
Bizarre. I was always under the impression that once you gave something away for free that was it, you couldn't take it back again.

EA specifically gave a few sites to legally give out free copies of U IV, then it proliferated over the years.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Well, regardless: I snatched up a copy from one of the links in the article before they could potentially be taken down. I mostly did it out of spite, but maybe I'll banish my secret RPer's shame and finally be able to say that I've played an Ultima title.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Mister Arkham said:
Well, regardless: I snatched up a copy from one of the links in the article before they could potentially be taken down. I mostly did it out of spite, but maybe I'll banish my secret RPer's shame and finally be able to say that I've played an Ultima title.

If you do decide to play it, be sure to pick up the Ultima IV Upgrade here: http://www.ultimaaiera.com/category/ultima4/u4-patches/

It's pretty cool.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Ultima IV-V-VI remake by Bioware

can someone please photoshop this? :lol:

Destroid said:

They can, Sierra did it with Betrayal at Krondor.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Nex said:
I would have thought so too. I still have a copy of it which came on a pc mag cd.
That the one that came with Betrayal at Krondor, Wasteland, uh, and a couple of others? Yeah, I kept mine safe just in case a day like this came.

I heard they were making a MMRPG using the original UIV engine. The conversation system is awesome, but things are pretty hectic in LB's castle. Once you die, everyone appears there, so it gets crowded. Also, finding nightshade is a biz-nitch. The fens of the dead are crowded with assholes searching all over, even on non-moonless nights. You morons! Quit killing Wheatpin, he's a friendly fucking skeleton!!!

Alex

Arcane
Jaesun said:
micmu said:
maybe they intend to "remake" Ultima IV: Reloaded for XBox....
:?

Or Facebook.

Sigh. At least, it will be easier to ignore, just like that browser Zork thing.

By the way, to anyone wondering what Jaesun is talking about, there was talk of a Facebook remake of Ultima 4, which EA was producing. I wonder if you will be able to boost your friends virtues...

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Jaesun said:
Mister Arkham said:

If you do decide to play it, be sure to pick up the Ultima IV Upgrade here: http://www.ultimaaiera.com/category/ultima4/u4-patches/

It's pretty cool.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Anyone have any idea how easy/difficult it should be to get U4 running on a Windows 7 machine?

mondblut

Arcane
I have my copy on a pirate compilation cd, but I think I'll go and redownload it somewhere just to laugh at the faggots.

...nah, too much bother.

On a possibly related note, that Flash U4 remake was taken off a few days ago when I accidentally clicked the bookmark. And I never got to play it. Le fuck.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Excidium said:
Ultima IV-V-VI remake by Bioware
15egz7o.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Alex said:
By the way, to anyone wondering what Jaesun is talking about, there was talk of a Facebook remake of Ultima 4, which EA was producing. I wonder if you will be able to boost your friends virtues...

It's interestingly you mention that. I was working on a news article for this, but I don't think it's going to be an AAA RPG title. It will be either Facebook or a browser crap, so I gave up on it (as that really isn't Prestigious enough for RPG Codex).

Anyways here is the fragmented article:

Something Ultima this way comes

Back before Bioware's life-force was slowly sucked out and then enslaved to crank out Action games eventual acquisition by EA, it has been rumored Obsidian Entertainment were in talks with EA on doing some kind of Ultima game as mentioned by Desslock:

Obsidian doing an Ultima game very nearly happened - the deal fell apart very late over contract negotiations. That was a while ago though, prior to current management of EA taking control and bringing BioWare into the company.

Also much earlier, Joe Garrity of the Origin Museum with the help of Bioware Mythic and with EA's approval, began to go through countless boxes of CD's and other items associated with Origins past....

Then our Ultima BRO™ WTF Dragon's website http://www.ultimaaiera.com/ started reporting some rather odd tweets from the Bioware Mythic team.

At this time, it's either a free release of Wing Commander (or perhaps some new edition shipped with DOSBox) for GOG or steam, or an Ultima IV browser remake, or possibly a new higher-resolution Ultima Online, or a new facebook/browser Ultima. The speculation is just too much right now. But we will possibly be hearing something solid soon....

I'm just not convinced it's a proper AAA RPG (that I'd be willing to bet money on) that Obsidian was attempting to negotiate with EA.

But we can always hope... right?

Alex

Arcane
There was also mention of a Facebook Ultima in that disgruntled EA employee blog post.

EA Louse said:
Oh yeah, and he needed Paul Barnett. You know him as the crazy British dude that appears in random videos at EA to promote his latest bullshittery. We know him as the crazy British dude who we have no idea of how he still has a job. This man was supposed to be the savior of Warhammer’s vision and design. Now all he can do is promote his strange ideas about his little secret project web Ultima game that’s been almost universally criticized by all of us and focus groups. What’s that? You didn”t know Paul loves one of those old Ultima games sooooo much he’s making a literal copy of it for Facebook? Well, the cats outta the bag. Too bad it sucks ass.

bhlaab

Erudite
Even if they're doing an Ultima 4 remake, I don't see how the original being available hurts them unless it's literally just the same game but with a price tag

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Jaesun said:
But we can always hope... right?
For a MCA take on Ultima, or only limited BioWare Mythic rape?

My gawd, could you imagine MCA's take on The Virtues?

I just came in my pants.

The Bioware Mythic guys DO love the Ultima's, I'll give them that. Paul Barnett especially. I guess we shall have to wait and see..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom