Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Mists (Formerly Amberlights)

Mhain

Educated
Red Mists

Greetings, Codex!

Yesterday, I saw the topic of Blood and Iron. I found the idea of the game to be pretty interesting though I am often afraid of collaborations since people tend to perform worse when working in groups. So I decided to make a game with similar mechanics. It cannot hurt to have more of the same, especially if we are fighting against the decline!

Main Features:

-Mediocre looking graphics (Characters will be pixel work, environments will be a higher quality)
-Large game world, possibly pregenerated like Daggerfall (with a similar scale)
-A short campaign, not really the point of the game
-Danse Macabre as the main theme
-More of a party based roguelike than a strategy
-Turn based and ironman

Some Screens:

amberlights.png

dmaindssd.png

dmaindssds.png

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Great :D . Wow, it seems that Blood & Iron has started a massive :incline: of indie cRPGs :D .
What style of graphics do you plan to use?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Re: Amberlights

Sounds good, I'll be following this. :salute:

But...
Mhain said:
The name "Amberlights" will probably remain a placeholder. I am also considering the name "Graylands", since the game will be mainly influenced by Darklands.
... this would sound too much like Gaylands, and we don't want that.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Re: Amberlights

Mhain said:
Yesterday, I saw the topic of Blood and Iron. I found the idea of the game to be pretty interesting though I am often afraid of collaborations since people tend to perform worse when working in groups.

Yes, that's often true. Well, for non-commercial, hobby efforts at least. It obviously works when paychecks and hierarchies are involved.

I have zero interest in design or coding collaboration because of this. I once tried that, and it didn't really work because I am too much of an egomaniac. Everything has to fit MY vision of how things should be, leaving no room for other people's creativity. Also I tend to heavily refactor code all the time which makes collaborative coding almost impossible. So this time I will only try to get the kind of collaboration going where everyone is the dictator of his own realm i.e. one coder/design guy, one art director/pixel artist guy, and maybe one music/sound effects guy.

So I decided to make a game with similar mechanics. It cannot hurt to have more of the same, especially if we are fighting against the decline!

Well, it certainly increases the probability that at least one finished game will come out of this.

BTW, I am interested in the technical aspects of your project i.e.
Which programming language do you use?
Which libraries do you use?
Which platforms will be supported?

Mhain

Educated
Awor Szurkrarz said:
What style of graphics do you plan to use?

I am trying to develop a good style at the moment, that's why I only have the menu screens right now. The game itself looks like this (as of now):

screenshot102.png

Obviously, there is no graphical unity or coherence right now. Keep in mind that much of the AI and game logic are coded and working.

... this would sound too much like Gaylands, and we don't want that.

That unfortunately seems to be true. You are always free to suggest names, however.

So this time I will only try to get the kind of collaboration going where everyone is the dictator of his own realm i.e. one coder/design guy, one art director/pixel artist guy, and maybe one music/sound effects guy.
See, I would have offered help, but I am by no means fit for a single role. For example, I have quite some experience in visual design, but I cannot do animations and drawing (I am pretty good at editing and colouring, though).

BTW, I am interested in the technical aspects of your project i.e.
Which programming language do you use?
Which libraries do you use?
Which platforms will be supported?

I've been thinking of doing it in Python, Unity or Flash, but I have a turn based strategy "engine" already made for Game Maker 8. Yes, it is not a good program, but it will reduce the development time at least by 80% (I won't have much time in the next two months, this is the only solution) and will not have any noticable side effects. Also, since I am much more competent than most people who has ever used GM, you shouldn't expect something retarded to come out. Windows and maybe Mac will be supported, though I only have access to Windows and will not be able to test it for other OS's anyways.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
work solo if you want the project to remain super-fun to work on.

I like how the game looks by the way. Are those snow particles and is that John Wayne?

Morkar Left

Sounds to good to be true but I would really enjoy seeing the game finished. What about Shadowlands instead of G(r)aylands?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Morkar said:
Sounds to good to be true but I would really enjoy seeing the game finished. What about Shadowlands instead of G(r)aylands?
Shadowlands_cover.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
BADLANDS

It looks quite intriguing. Will keep this in mind.

However, why Adept Archer? Adept mostly goes with magical or scholarly classes. I recommend: Inexperienced, Experienced, Veteran, then Master.

betamin

Learned
Getting caught on the puns I forgot to say I really like the graphic's style, even the portrait.

How 'bout Amberlands?

Mhain

Educated
I like how the game looks by the way. Are those snow particles and is that John Wayne?

Yes, and yes. The particles look a lot better in motion, though.

Badlands is a good name for a Wasteland or Duke Nukem style game.

I think Amberlights is a better name than Amberlamps, Lands of the Dark, or Badlands. Latin names are usually too good for video games. You may still recommend names, and they are not required to be about a certain theme or game world, since I will not need to detail the game world until late development. So, a title like 'Red Sun' is still welcome.

I have been trying to finalize the UI I am going to go with for some time. This is a small mockup:
screenshaot102.png

I have also found some monster portraits I have made and never used. They are a bit old, but perhaps some of them will be of use later:

s_monsterts_strip11.png

I don't think I will settle on a generic fantasy setting, but even if I do, don't expect there to be dwarfs or elves.

betamin

Learned
I like the portraits (except the guy fawkes one), they have style although the john wayne is the best one.

Mhain

Educated
Just finished painting some stuff and started to implement the graphics.

screenshot1111.png

Radisshu

Prophet
So, uh, which program did you create the song in? It sounds very acoustic, but I kind of doubt you have access to an entire orchestra.

Mhain

Educated
Radisshu said:
So, uh, which program did you create the song in? It sounds very acoustic, but I kind of doubt you have access to an entire orchestra.

I used Fruity Loops and Audacity. They are pretty fine programs, and with proper effects and libraries you can turn even simple MIDI files into realistic sounding music.

7hm

Scholar
Looks absurdly good at such an early stage...

If GM was good enough for spelunky, it's good enough for me. Good luck with this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom