Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Arx Fatalis Patch and Source Code Released

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Arkane Studios; Arx Fatalis

<p>After all these years <strong>Arx Fatalis</strong> sees another patch. You can download both, patch and source code, <a href="http://arkane-studios.com/uk/arx_downloads.php">here</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>- Improved overall game stability under Microsoft Windows Vista &amp; Windows 7.<br /> - Fixed blinking effect that may happen when starting a new game.<br /> - Fixed HUD scaling when display resolution is higher than 1024x960.<br /> - Fixed EAX option: value is now saved when leaving the option menu.<br /> - Fixed an issue with the game locking-up when opening player inventory.<br /> - Fixed length of cinemascope bars displayed during cinematics.<br /> - Fixed some performance issues with a few Nvidia GPU (see Notes). <br /><br /> Notes:<br /> - If you experience in game framerate drops or stuttering, please give a try to the "Enable Rendering Fix" option in the Video settings.<br /> - This patch will remain the very last Arx Fatalis update released by Arkane Studios. However, the whole source code of the game is now available for download, which means that numerous fan made updates/mods may be found around the Internet. Arkane Studios won't provide any kind of answer or support regarding community developed content.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Thanks to Ausir.</em></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/01/14/arx-fatalis-source-code-patch-released/">Bethblog</a></p>

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's the LGPL even. Though, ofcourse, the game resources is not included.

Phelot

Arcane
OH cool! I'm still playing through it again after so many years. I hope this fixes some of the bugs I keep getting. Memory CTDs, collisions issues, and now this new one that causes the game to lockup when loading a save from certain levels. THAT bug almost cost me a new keyboard from all the rage but luckily I had another save.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I dunno if you can keep the saves. They don't mention it, so you probably can.

Elzair

Cipher
Sweet! It would be cool to remake UW 1&2 in this engine.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
icameburger.jpg

Lightknight

Liturgist
It would be cool to remake UW 1&2 in this engine.
What, you STILL didnt get enough bugs ? Face it, Arkane coding division was made of idiots who didnt think ahead, and their game had problems on hardware that came out 3 years later. What does that tell you ? Good engine is the one that still works now as good as it did under DOS, not this abomination

ortucis

Prophet
Oh thank the fucking gods. I couldn't play this game despite loving it since it kept corrupting the fucking save games.

"Arkane Studios won't provide any kind of answer or support regarding community developed content."

Sounds familiar.. oh right, like the fucking time you released this buggy POS game, ARKANE!

:x

Phelot

Arcane
SCO said:
I dunno if you can keep the saves. They don't mention it, so you probably can.

Good point... I'm definitely gonna find out first.

Elzair

Cipher
A while back, there was an attempt to make an open source recreation of UW2. It was called Labyrinth of Worlds. Of course it, along with most amateur/oss projects, was abandoned and has not been updated in over seven years. However, while the engine was pretty bare-bones, the developers had already managed to create an enormous amount of art assets for the project. Here are some screenshots.

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

ss4.jpg

ss5.jpg

ss7.png

However, all of the 3D models are in some .GRN format, which is apparently the format of the Granny 3D Renderer. The addition of these art assets to an already established engine would lighten the workload considerably. Does anyone know how to convert GRN files to a more open format?

ortucis

Prophet
Heh, that chest items bit is a good idea.. *steals idea for his work*

ecliptic

Liturgist
A quick glance at the code yields that it is functional, but very rigid, and very sparse with the comments. Very cool, nonetheless.

Petrell

Educated
Elzair said:
A while back, there was an attempt to make an open source recreation of UW2. It was called Labyrinth of Worlds. Of course it, along with most amateur/oss projects, was abandoned and has not been updated in over seven years. However, while the engine was pretty bare-bones, the developers had already managed to create an enormous amount of art assets for the project. Here are some screenshots.

There have been two other attempts since. Underworld Adventures was an attempt to recreate Ultima Underworld 1 but it too was discontinued three years ago. The most resent attempt is Abysmal Engine. It's also most ambitious as it aims to create new engine to run System Shock and both Ultima Underworlds. Last commit was 90 days ago so project may or may not be dead yet.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Arx Fatalis. Just like Deus Ex, every time I hear it I wanna replay it. With this patch I just might HAVE to.

deuxhero

Arcane
Hmm, sounds like an intresting game. DLing demo!

Hmm, buck off via steam or DRM free via GoG... Guess I can give someone a CD with the EXE if I go GoG.

hicksman

Liturgist
This is so fucking awesome of them to do this. I just got Arx from gog over the xmas sale and there were so many graphics glitches I couldn't play it.

Installed the patch this afternoon and they're all gone. Saves work ok for me.

very. very cool.

bhlaab

Erudite
Ausir said:
Didn't expect ZeniMax to let them release the source code.

I dunno, I think they probably wouldve released the Arena/Daggerfall source if they didn't use so much middleware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom