Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief 4: Garrett - Homeboy in da Hood

Sol Invictus

Erudite
1UP: What should we expect from Eidos in the near future?

Dyer: We're going to try to get more of a consumer focus into our games. Deus Ex: Invisible War was a good game with solid reviews, but not enough people bought it. We'll fix that in the future. There definitely will be a Deus Ex 3. People want another Thief, too. We'll make that series more modern, though...the medieval thing's run its course. The coming year will bring some really new, innovative titles, plus comebacks from many brands gamers are already familiar with.
Argh! :x

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3134177

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I didn't post it as news, chucklehead. I'm just trying to spur some discussion and it would help if people like you didn't come into a post just to type 'old'.

Ortchel

Liturgist
I find it really entertaining that he thinks he can declare 'the medieval thing' has 'run its course', completely negating the past oh, 700 years of it's glorification.

Obviously there is a market. Especially after the recent *massive* success of The Lord of the Rings' movies.

Ridiculous.

Who the hell does this guy think he is?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I agree with the assertion that, for better or worse, the appreciation of medieval settings has definetely not lost its appeal.

However, do people like Thief for the gameplay of for the setting? Is the appeal found in hiding in the shadows, or hiding in the shadows of some medieval abbey or castle? Is the appeal found in playing in the shadows, run and jump through rooftops, put out light sources, and be a silent thief on its own, or must it carry a medieval element? Would a more modern setting, possibly with some magic, be really harmful to the gameplay?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I like it for the Steampunk/Medieval setting as much as I like it for being able to sneak around in the shadows. The setting hs a certain flair to it, that I find very charming and appealing. I don't much find the modern day 'thug in da hood' setting particularly appealing.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Well, I agree with that - the steampunk setting of Thief 2 certainly was very effective in setting the mood of the game, and that type of setting is one of my favorites.

However I'm only considering what is it that takes more importance - is it the setting that draws me in and opens way to the gameplay, or is it the gameplay that draws me in and opens way to the setting? I'm a "substance over style", and I think that, while the setting and the gameplay seem to work hand in hand, I think a modern setting (with some changes) could possibly provide something interesting.

Modern doesn't mean it has to adopt modern trends, of course. I certainly wouldn't like it if Garrett - uh, pardon me, Gaz, the masta playa - suddenly started talking about how that scuzy hoe tried to steal from him, him! the bestest thug in the hood. I think you could pull off an effective characterization without having to go down that road.

Essentially I can't see why gameplay would have to change, though. Likely, adequate aesthetic changes would probably be needed, from the character to the environments to items to NPCs, but it still seems like a fairly good idea to explore.

Ortchel

Liturgist
The steampunk/medieval setting is integral to what makes Thief, Thief.

This guy needs, .. I don't even know, I just hate him.

Sneaking around in west philly really isn't fun, I've done it.

*Now with more shitty bloom you're just gonna turn off
*Cross the street when you see a group of black guys
*The stabbing implements just get smaller with each iteration, shivs!

Mendoza

Liturgist
I think the Thief (or at least Garret) story arc has run its course, and I'm not sure how I'd feel playing someone other than Garret in the Thief universe. I think a modern thief (that's thief, not Thief - anything outside the Thief universe isn't Thief) game (something along the lines of Entrapment) could be a lot of fun, although it'd need a good plot to keep it interesting.

The comment about medieval-ness having run it's course is ridiculous though.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Personally, I dont think they really nailed the setting in the first two Thief games (have yet to play the third). In the first I remember hating all the undead, and giant spiders, which seemed a common complaint going around. I remember one of the developers commenting that they took those critiques to heart for the second one, which was much better, until that part where you're running through the Forest of Dr. Moreau.

Water arrows + candles>cutting fuses + electric lights

roguefrog

Liturgist
The setting is a critical part of what makes Thief what it is. The steampunk and gothic horror elements and the interplay between the three main factions gave the setting a life all it's own. All the surreal and bizarre locals of the pagans, the haunted and eerie domains of the restless undead, the cold iron and mechanized interiors of the hammers "Thou art the Nail!", and of course the luxurious and extravagant manor of fat noble families. Plus all the little notes, scrolls, books and other details that enhanced the story and fleshed out the world. As per Fallout, I can't stand a game that doesn't remain true to its setting.

crufty

Arcane
I would think that a Ninja Garrett would be a better idea than a mutherfuckin' O mutherfuckin' G Garrett.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Names for the new Garrett protagonist:
Lil' Garrett ("some call me Garrotte, cause I stick em where it hurts.")
Original Garrett ("sup dawg, I ain't got time to chatter for I gots bling to fleece, yo.")
B-Boy Garrett ("guns and hos and bling blings is where it's at. Thas right, you best step off.")
G-Dog ("I am the street.")

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
"I prefer to be payed in cash, not liquor"

His first line in the original game. They're dumping that character? Guess there's no one around anymore to write stuff like that anyway so they'll just do whatever they like. I didn't buy Thief 3, and I won't be buying 4.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Thief 3 wasn't a bad game. It's pretty good, actually. The maps are just a little... small. Stays true to the series, though.

roguefrog

Liturgist
Thief III definately wasn't the disaster of a sequel that is Invisible War. I'd recommend it for the cradle alone. Theres also this sunken citadel level that looks like its straight out of Call of Cthulhu. It retains most of the same gameplay machanics and feeling of the first two which is good. My complaints: The loading zones are a shity unwelcomed addition, the economic system throws off the perfect game balance of the originals and some favored features are missing (rope-arrows, ability to re-lock doors).

Mafisto

Novice
It seems that at the end of Thief: Deadly Shadows, Garrett is now a keeper, and that a young girl tries to pick pocket Garrett, ( which was awesome cause it was the exact way Garrett was introduced ) but anyway, for Thief 4, I think time should jump at least 10 to 12 years, and the main focus on the game is now Garrett and his new apprentice. I think the time setiing should be more evolved obviously... and as she wanders through the game Garrett is informing her from inside the Keepers Council, obviously now it's getting harder to loot castles, and other places. She should have new weapons ( no guns ) but higher tech equipment, like a crossbow , throwing daggers, etc. They should have dogs that chase after you, you get the idea, making the game harder cause people have gotten smarter on stopping thieves. But as the game goes on she encounters troble and maybe a new super villian can be introduced, someone who wants to take oveer the modern world. who know's if eidos is intrested they should give me a call, i have lots of ideas :) alright guys tell me what you think.

Mafisto

Novice
Well, I think the Cthulhu mythos has to do more with witchcraft, no!? But I think it would be very cool if in this game you could run into other thieves during the game and you could have the choice of either helping them or killing them, or they could help you , and if they find your treasure before u do , u could either bargain with them or kill them. ( if they don't escape ) I think that would be tight, i have a whole game in my mind set up for part 4 but, i went to Eidos and they just don't take anyones ideas, u have to be affiliated with a company just for them to look at your storyboard. :wink:

Mogar

Scholar
From : http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1399221#post1399221

Basically Thief 4 was going to be a retelling of the original games, except set in modern times. It would have modern versions of the same characters from the old games, who's roles would have been translated to modern day parallels. Some of the old maps were going to make a reappearance as well. To be clear, it was not going to be anything like Splinter Cell or similar games. Garrett wasn't going to be turned into a James Bond type of guy with a bunch of gadgets or anything like that. He would still be the dark, sarcastic loner who uses his own skills and ingenuity to do his thieving, not gadgets. I don't think we were even going to let the player use a gun, just simple tools and weapons. The art direction would have been similar to the steampunk from the previous games, just translated to modern times, with the same crowded and dilapidated city streets and such.I guess the Silent Hill series is the closest reference I can think of for what we had in mind for looks, but it would have been pretty different from that too. We were going to somewhat modify the "rules" of the modern world to make them more conducive to the Thief-type stealth game also, and not necessarily realistic. There wouldn't be light switches that anyone can just turn on to reveal you, the enemies wouldn't all have machineguns, there wouldn't be lasers, etc. Basically we were going for a very similar type of gameplay to the original series, just in a twisted steampunkish modern setting.
It was only in pre-production for about two months before the Ion Storm "end times" began, so the concept never got much more fleshed out than this, but that's basically what it would have been.

It would have used the same engine as T3, but we were hoping it would be optimized a bit more and get some new features.

It would have been Steampunk Modern (I guess he means Dieselpunk). Not Earth, but a different world, with different tech. Steampunk modern sounds cool, but the techno medieval setting was a real draw to the original Thiefs. I still would've liked to see how they pulled it off.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Re-hashing the original games but changing the setting would have been instant fail though. Recycling plot lines so you can do a "re-telling" is not a good idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom