Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Frustrated with KOTOR2

CrimHead

Scholar
So I'm playing KOTOR 2. The writing is good. I like the writing. The characters, hey, they're perfectly fine. The gameplay, RPG elements, user interface, and character customization, however, are all shit. 100% consolized shit. The same could be said about Torment (save the consolized part, of course) but one thing Torment had going for it was the AMOUNT of dialouge. You'd spend more time in that game talking to people and reading descriptions than actually struggling with the akward combat, so it all worked in Torment's favor. KOTOR2 is just popamole. The combat is worse than the Witcher's. I didn't even think that possible, but apparently it is. At least in the Witcher you couldn't just be passive the whole fight. In KOTOR lock-ons are automatic and your party members are programed to do the correct thing always. I tried a difficulty mod once but forget it, the AI is just too retarded. Party members give their AI priority over direct user commands. A game can stand up on writing alone, Torment stands as a testament to that, but a game has to have a lot of it. KOTOR2's excellent writing and character development get mired down by so much unfinished content, bugs, and consolized features that I can't be arsed to play it to the finish. I really wanted to like the game, considering the amount of praise it gets here. I'm 15 hours in and there doesn't seem to be any redemption in sight. DOES THIS SHITTER EVER GET GOOD?

Kz3r0

Arcane
Funny how everyone complains about the retardness of your companions and now they are too smart, LOLOLOLOL.
Seriously, Kotor games were intended for Star-Wars Consoletards from the get-go, the fact that they could have been great games does very little to redeem them.
I liked them tho.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
CrimHead said:
I'm 15 hours in and there doesn't seem to be any redemption in sight. DOES THIS SHITTER EVER GET GOOD?

It gets worse near the end, when half of the game was cut out in order to release it during holiday season. Marketing, ahoy!

chzr

Scholar
CrimHead said:
The writing is good. I like the writing. The characters, hey, they're perfectly fine. The gameplay, RPG elements, user interface, and character customization, however, are all shit. 100% consolized shit.

stop with those new vegas threads ffs :x

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
CrimHead said:
The same could be said about Torment

I remember stats having a much larger role in Torment then they did in KotOR, for one thing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I hope the resident KOTOR expert chimes in on this. That fellow who played the first one seven times and the second one four and likely thought it got better each and every time he played it. He'd surely provide a definitive answer.

Glyphwright

Blame Bioware, they made the engine, character system, and so on.

desocupado

Magister
I actually liked KOTOR 1 more than KOTOR 2. To me, Bioware's standard game plot wasn't so worn out at the time, and the game was pretty new to me.

When I started playing KOTOR 2, I was liking it a lot, but then it started with "let's go to planet x and kill a lot of guys", and that SHIT ending. Left a bitter taste.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Roguey said:
I hope the resident KOTOR expert chimes in on this. That fellow who played the first one seven times and the second one four and likely thought it got better each and every time he played it. He'd surely provide a definitive answer.

You bellowed?

Kron

Arcane
The ending, for god's sake!

THE ENDING!!!!

After enduring hours of horrible combat, disappearing characters and unexplained plot twists, expecting to see a proper close to the story... that ending scarred me like few games have before.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Playing it will only break your heart, despite good writing, everything remains unresolved in the finale, and the sequel will never come. Too many goddamn loose ends. Just go read the Let's Play by Scorchy from Something Awful. - It's not worth suffering through >_<.

Eyeball

Arcane
Because the game never, ever seemed to provide you with any justification for keeping the old bitch aboard your spaceship. She was CLEARLY evil and twofaced from the first five minutes you knew her, yet you don't get the option to dump her ass on an asteroid somewhere, even after she tells you about all the stuff she's done previously? Her old friends, her old pupils, the fact that she practically has "I am a lying, conniving bitch using you for my own ends" tattooed on her forehead? Just how fucking dumb is the Exile to let this hag tell him how to do ANYTHING?

I consider Kreia to be a shittier SW character than Jar Jar Binks. She is just that fucking awfully written and completely shoehorned into the storyline, and since the game does to a large extent revolve around Kreia, the overall game suffers hugely.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Well... I like the character, but not the handling of her. It's true that you can't just eject her, but she always says that she will teach you something new and being an Exile and a Wound in the Force, it's kinda good to have a teacher.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Eyeball said:
Because the game never, ever seemed to provide you with any justification for keeping the old bitch aboard your spaceship.

Following the narrative is teh hard. Remember that bit about the powerful force bond that might get you killed if she dies? Yeah, that's a good reason to keep her close and let no harm happen to her.

Even if that is a lie, but it's not revealed for the better part of the game.

Eyeball

Arcane
Darth Roxor said:
Eyeball said:
Because the game never, ever seemed to provide you with any justification for keeping the old bitch aboard your spaceship.

Following the narrative is teh hard. Remember that bit about the powerful force bond that might get you killed if she dies?
´
Shoehorning bullshit.

"We wrote this character, and she's a totally unlikeable fuckface that nobody in their right mind would keep around, so let's just make up some bullshit reason for why you have to keep her in your party and justify it with magical Force dickniggery."

"cuz of the foz" has been SW's greatest excuse for unbelievable, shit writing for ages, and it makes me want to hurl. When you need to justify huge important things occurring in your storyline by inventing new aspects of The Foz that even George Lucas would think stupid, you probably need to go back to working on your basic writing skills before getting carried away with all the lasers and spaceships and alien whores with dicks growing out their heads.

Eyeball

Arcane
But yes. If the writers had attempted to make the character's attachment to the PC even remotely plausible, it would make some semblance of sense. Instead it's just "Oh hi, we're linked through the Foz, don't ask me why, lol, but you're stuck with my sour, old ass for the rest of the game. Oh, and I'm a backstabbing bitch."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom