Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Do JRPG's do anything well?

I must admit that I have never really played any of these games. I have tried one or two, but due to the grinding needed, the silly characterisations and so on, I lost interest very quickly.

Some concepts I would like to see transported back to real CRPG's, with the main example being Mechs. I have always thought they represent an idea that could be used in CRPG's to incredible effect; from the excellent battles to be had, the upgrading of a mech, even perhaps attempting to build your own from the ground up having to deal with pro's and con's pending your design decisions.

Nothing else however seems to be worth emulating.

Perhaps I am wrong? If so, can anyone step forward and show me other aspects of these games (even if it is only a setting) that should be ported over into 'real' CRPG's.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've never really played any JRPG, mostly because all of those I tried have a combat system that I find to be absolutely shit, there's too much linearity and dialogue is automated, also too many cutscenes. The gameplay never appealed to me and the stories are usually mediocre (and completely passive since you can't pick dialogue options) so I just ignore the whole genre.

JRPGs in general don't do anything well, just the same as 'modern' RPGs don't do anything good. You can certainly find some examples of good JRPGs, but they aren't good because they are good JRPGs, they are good because they are good games.

hitlernw2.jpg

The Japanese seem to love the Nazi's.

Anyway, it is a sad that many of the forums I have found through google, in which people trash JRPG's, list 'turn based' as one of the main reasons for hating them.

Zomg

Arbiter
Surrealism, sometimes helped by a halfass translation.

Castanova

Prophet
JRPGs aren't afraid of abstract game mechanics and, on the contrary, embrace it. This is something I don't think most American/European developers are capable of since there seems to be a false belief over here that RPG mechanics should always attempt to simulate real life.

KalosKagathos

Learned
smt_nocturne_front.JPG

This one does combat and multiple endings better than the entire so-called holy trinity put together. :thumbsup:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DraQ said:
JarlFrank said:
I've never really played any JRPG
Even Anachronox? Shame.

Ah, I played that one. Disliked the combat, but the humour and atmosphere was top. Thing about the JRPGs made in Japan is that they have the sucky combat, but not the good atmosphere and humour, which is why they don't have a single shred of appeal for me (fucking anime artstyle too).

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Blackadder said:
Anyway, it is a sad that many of the forums I have found through google, in which people trash JRPG's, list 'turn based' as one of the main reasons for hating them.

It should be when you consider how bad the TB combat is.

DraQ

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
DraQ said:
JarlFrank said:
I've never really played any JRPG
Even Anachronox? Shame.

Ah, I played that one. Disliked the combat, but the humour and atmosphere was top. Thing about the JRPGs made in Japan is that they have the sucky combat, but not the good atmosphere and humour, which is why they don't have a single shred of appeal for me (fucking anime artstyle too).
There's your answer. In any area not depending on it being a JPG, a JPG may be a good, or even excellent game.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Blackadder said:
I must admit that I have never really played any of these games. I have tried one or two, but due to the grinding needed, the silly characterisations and so on, I lost interest very quickly.

Have you seen Star Ocean 2? It's still unsurpassed by majority of other RPGs in several aspects. It had skills like cooking, talents, hidden talents, and creativity mattered a lot. (It also had two different stories, and the end boss was interesting. Definitely not Bioware clishe.)

You want a best weapon? Forget about finding it in dungeon, you are the best weapon maker in the world, you have creativity, you have correct talents, then move your but find materials and make it.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Kaanyrvhok said:
Blackadder said:

It should be when you consider how bad the TB combat is.
valkyria chonicles.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter
Blackadder said:

Some concepts I would like to see transported back to real CRPG's, with the main example being Mechs. I have always thought they represent an idea that could be used in CRPG's to incredible effect; from the excellent battles to be had, the upgrading of a mech, even perhaps attempting to build your own from the ground up having to deal with pro's and con's pending your design decisions.

Nothing else however seems to be worth emulating.

Perhaps I am wrong? If so, can anyone step forward and show me other aspects of these games (even if it is only a setting) that should be ported over into 'real' CRPG's.
Go play Gear Head

Phelot

Arcane
I"m willing to admit that maybe some jRPGs have better mechanics then anything the West has ever made.

Despite this I simply cannot get into these games because they're just sooo fucking lame with their characters, stories, settings, just about everything.

Call me a graphics whore, call me a story fag, I don't give a fuck I just can't stand it. I can't stand Japanese "culture" in general (and I should clarify, the Japanese themselves are fine, just this shitty anime crap)

There's a few settings I just absolutely cannot stand and anime, oriental, and (off topic) spy settings are just a few.

Zomg

Arbiter
Raghar said:
Have you seen Star Ocean 2?

Jesus Raghar, that game is a vehicle for selling strategy guides so you can see the dumbshit recipes (which are randomly divvied up between characters so there are about a million different points of nonsensical obfuscation to grind through without a guide) and loaded to the gills with the worst manga cliches in the world. Stop recommending things.

Can you guys give examples of the games with the interesting mechanics because I don't know of them.

Achilles

Arcane
Well most them are turn-based, so there you go.

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Some of them manage to retain a consistent level of challenge throughout the game.

Isn't that what level scaling is supposed to do?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, one thing that I miss in computer games today are the outrageous stuff they'd do and the extreme and creative worlds they'd throw you into. You never knew what to expect in the olden days.

JRPGs haven't lost that I guess, but that's still not enough for me to actually consider playing them.

Phelot

Arcane
Grunker said:
Well, one thing that I miss in computer games today are the outrageous stuff they'd do and the extreme and creative worlds they'd throw you into. You never knew what to expect in the olden days.

JRPGs haven't lost that I guess, but that's still not enough for me to actually consider playing them.

I don't know, it seems like they're expected to just have random shit in their games kind of like the Final Fantasy games were all the characters dress as if they're color blind and there's crazy fucking flying whales and machine gun muskets and other random/crazy bullshit. Everything seems nonsensical in a lot of these worlds just whatever "cool" shit they could think up.

But yeah, it'd be nice if Western devs could shake shit up a bit. Send the dwarves and elves off to retirement!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom