Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yuji Horii: Western press biased against turn-based systems

Severian Silk

In response to questions regarding how turn-based systems are perceived in the West and Japan, Japanese developer Yuji Horii says Western reviewers are biased against turn-based systems.

Thoughts?

Link.

Archibald

Arcane
I vote yes.

I believe this is the reason why jrpgs are in decline- they want to get more money from western retards. When they focused on their own market even their mainstream games were good.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
What a crybaby. He should go buy teenie girl panties to put a smile on his face. :M

Higher Game

Arcane
I think a lot of Japanese don't understand how much the West has been enriched by diversity. It explains everything. Hopefully they don't go down the same path.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
He's right. And the press is biased against many good things and treats them as "outdated".

deuxhero

Arcane
When we were developing the game we had in mind that it was going to be released overseas so there wasn't much that changed as far as the gameplay. For the Tag Mode, though, the US version is set so you can tag with someone with a game from Japan or any other region.

He amazingly "forgets" to mention they removed a blackface face option.

Rest of the interview is meh except for the one truth.

Absolutely right on the turn based part who ever this guy is.

Article said:
Yuji Horii is one the few game developers in the world who should require no introduction. The man created Dragon Quest, the standard bearer of almost every modern role paying game...

Huh who? What game? Sorry I don't play shitty jrpg's. Also turn based as it is done i jrpgs sucks, there is a distinct lack of tactical options in such a game compared to say Fallout 1/2 where one can move around the world while in combat and use the terrain/positioning to ones advantage.

Redeye

Arcane
IGN: Are there any other modern RPG's that you're especially fond of, or have maybe influenced your creative process?

Yuji Horii: Oblivion. The Elder Scorlls IV: Oblivion. I like that a lot.

Topher

Cipher
I agree. In general people are happy to dismiss something that isn't broken in favor of something new and shiny. I guess I don't really believe that things like games and movies can become outdated. If they were fun once I don't see why they can't still be fun. People might get used to new things and that's fine but I don't understand why they have such a hard time enjoying older things as well.

It's like people who won't watch black and white movies. I just don't get it.

It's true. Anything that isn't an action filled bonanza that doesn't have a dialog wheel is archaic.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I think that stuff like 8 bit palette would be more like black and white cinema. Calling stuff like turn based outdated doesn't make sense in a world, where real time simulation (wargames) exist since 1st half of 80s.

Topher

Cipher
Awor Szurkrarz said:
I think that stuff like 8 bit palette would be more like black and white cinema. Calling stuff like turn based outdated doesn't make sense in a world, where real time simulation (wargames) exist since 1st half of 80s.

I think they use outdated to mean not cool enough to make anymore. Gaming a once nerdy hobby betrays it's nerdy roots. :(

HardCode

Erudite
IGN: Are there any other modern RPG's that you're especially fond of, or have maybe influenced your creative process?

Phail.

pero

Novice
Topher said:
I agree. In general people are happy to dismiss something that isn't broken in favor of something new and shiny. I guess I don't really believe that things like games and movies can become outdated. If they were fun once I don't see why they can't still be fun. People might get used to new things and that's fine but I don't understand why they have such a hard time enjoying older things as well.

Novelty, mostly. When movies first showed up, people were excited more by the novelty of the experience than the content of the films, so the films didn't have to be particularly remarkable to draw people in. We're kinda over that now, so they don't hold up so well. If someone's dumb enough to write off all black and white films because they saw some dull ones, that's their problem, but I can see how it happens and I'm sure the same sort of thing could be said of older games.

Redeye said:

Don't worry; he was merely patronizing the fucktard from IGN. He simply told the douche what he thought he wanted to hear. Japanese people tend to do this a lot.

Keep in mind this guy spent most of his formative years playing Wizardry.

deuxhero

Arcane
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Article said:
Yuji Horii is one the few game developers in the world who should require no introduction. The man created Dragon Quest, the standard bearer of almost every modern role paying game...

Huh who? What game? Sorry I don't play shitty jrpg's. Also turn based as it is done i jrpgs sucks, there is a distinct lack of tactical options in such a game compared to say Fallout 1/2 where one can move around the world while in combat and use the terrain/positioning to ones advantage.

Shigeru Miyamoto, Nolan Bushnell or Will Wright sure.

Richard Garriott and Satoshi Tajiri? Prehaps.

This guy? Fuck no.

Topher

Cipher
pero said:
Topher said:

Novelty, mostly. When movies first showed up, people were excited more by the novelty of the experience than the content of the films, so the films didn't have to be particularly remarkable to draw people in. We're kinda over that now, so they don't hold up so well. If someone's dumb enough to write off all black and white films because they saw some dull ones, that's their problem, but I can see how it happens and I'm sure the same sort of thing could be said of older games.

I can see that as well but I'm not talking about crappy 1910 black and whites I'm talking about great films from the 30-40's. When it comes to games there are a lot of graphics whores out there, I'm sure it helps that I grew up playing my Atari 2600, but it doesn't take that long to adjust to older graphics and mechanics. Games are about fun and I guess some people can't have fun with the older titles, I just don't really understand why. When I play an older game I give it some time whereas most people are just to impatient to give them a chance.

mondblut

Arcane
That worst that could happen to TB gameplay is becoming firmly associated with weeaboo filth.

"- I prefer my entertainment to be of a more turn-based nature.
- Oh hai i luuuv final fantasy too!!!1
- I don't know how it happened, coronor. I just blacked out, and the next thing I remember, I am making her cracked open cranium one with the pavement with my boot."

I'd rather the gooks move on with the times, and let the mechanic die with dignity, than soil it with their little anime-drawing hands.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom