Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Should I remove a new PC from inventory for ArcAnIA?

LazyD

Liturgist
lol they gonna blame bad sales on piracy and not retarded min specs. :M

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
more like:
LazyD said:
lol they gonna blame bad sales on piracy and not on the game being shit. :M

LazyD

Liturgist
well thats yet to be proven good sir. How could one come to that kind of conclusion without even trying said product?

pero

Novice
I guess they had to do something to draw interest, since they can't be sure they have the fans of the older games to fall back on.

Phelot

Arcane
I love how games all look stagnant and the same and yet they keep requiring more and more specs.

Phelot

Arcane
At least their releasing a demo for the game so it can be tested out. A demo! What a novel idea! Hey other companies, you ever hear about demos?!

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
phelot said:
At least their releasing a demo for the game so it can be tested out. A demo! What a novel idea! Hey other companies, you ever hear about demos?!

It's called TPB. :smug:

I'm assuming its a mistake. Wikipedia lists a Pentium 4, Geforce 6800, 1 GB of RAM as minimum. Remember, the game has to downscale well enough to play on 5 year old consoles.

Otherwise... well I guess the new guys developing are just as good as Piranha Bytes was :roll:

bhlaab

Erudite
Yeah, upgrade your pc to play a watered down piece of shit from a garbage company. That would be a good idea.

And wtf, I really doubt it requires quad core, especially since it is being released on consoles.

Mortmal

Arcane
That doesnt even look better that the other xbox360 action rpgs like oblivion and two worlds. I hope they indeed mixed up minimum and recommended specs. After a gothic 3 expansion outsourced and made by indians, i am not too surprised altough.

Murk

Arcane
Overweight Manatee said:
Otherwise... well I guess the new guys developing are just as good as Piranha Bytes was :roll:

You'd almost have point, 'sept that Risen ran great on my 1.83ghz AMD and still looked gorgeous.

Repressed Homosexual
To be fair some of the videos shown for this looked extremely, extremely impressive. I'm not surprised that it needs a killer CPU to run smoothly.

It has a huge dynamic world full of animals and other animated objects populating it and all of it demands many CPU cycles. It will probably be scaled down a lot for the console version.

zmmc5j.jpg

Risen on PC vs. on 360

Topher

Cipher
A 3ghz quad core would rule out the majority of the PC market so those stats are probably wrong.

Mikayel said:
Overweight Manatee said:

You'd almost have point, 'sept that Risen ran great on my 1.83ghz AMD and still looked gorgeous.

Good point, I was only thinking of what a mess Gothic 3 was. Risen did run pretty well for how it looked.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Cockshit. I don't think even TWitcher 2 (which looks better) will require anywhere near that ridiculous.

Thalkirst

Novice
I have the beta installed on my computer (I'm a localization tester).

It runs perfectly on 1920x1200, with everything maxed out. My specs: Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, 3 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, ATI 4870 512M.

I just started to play with it, so don't ask for impressions. The combat does have a distinct 3Dfied Last Ninja/Golden Axe feeling though...

Shannow

Waster of Time
Shannow said:
My prediction: "Our game only sold 50k copies. PC gaming is dead, must have been the pirates."

Ah well, good I don't have enough time to play just any game. Perhaps I'll pick up Arcania in 4 years or so. By then I should have the rig to play it, too.
Also:
Dhruin said:
Let's get a few things straight. These specs were provided by Dreamcatcher (unless, of course, you want to straight up accuse Desslock of lying). He didn't dream them up - the publisher provided them in response to a query for official specs that could be shared with PC Gamer readers.

Elikal, you're entitled to believe what you like and noone is suggesting these are absolutely final or that there might not be further optimisation. However, noone forced the publisher to provide these specs - they could have easily said "we are still working on optimising the game". As for moderators - these are usually community members, not employees. Have any of them actually played the game or spoken directly to the publisher about this issue? I'll bet not.

Petardo, come back to me about how "false" the newsbit is when you've spoken to the publisher or played the game. If they didn't like these specs, they simply didn't have to supply them. It's quite possible these aren't final but, again, it's their numbers.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Desslock said:
Here's some additional information on this matter:

- The build I have of Arcania Gothic 4 was sent to me review. It is not final code - the PC version is being finalized now, but the publisher was willing to have it judged and reviewed because it was considered sufficiently close by the Publisher to submit for review.

- The game was unplayable on my system — a core 2 duo 6700, 267 ghz; 4 GB RAM (but effectively less, since running Win XP SP3); Geforce GTX 285 — all drivers up to date, I was getting under 10 fps.

- Sent a dxdiag.txt to the Publisher — Publisher sent 3 individuals to personally check out my system and found nothing wrong.

- After further compatibility testing at their own shop, the publisher reps confirmed that the problem was the system requirements floating around the internet are outdated. The new ones provide that the Core 2 Duo is capable of running the game, but is not recommended.

I asked: so you guys are convinced that the problem is the CPU - I do not want to review this game based upon a premature build - are you sure there isn't an optimization issue here that a later build of the wouldn't help?

And was told they could send a newer version when it went gold, but they were not convinced that it would help. It was compatibility testing reports (about 150 configurations that led us to the conclusion that the core 2 duo was the problem.

I then asked for the publisher to send along official required specs so we can make sure let our readers know.

And was told:

To comfortable play the game, readers should acquire at least the following:

Processor Min: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X4 2.2Ghz (or Tri-core like AMD Phenom X3)
Ram Min: 3GB
Video Card for minimum playability: Geforce 8800 GTX / ATI HD 2600 Pro
Video Card for best results: Geforce 280 GTX / ATI HD 4800 or higher
HDD: 10GB

I posted that information to inform fellow RPG fans of my experience and the revised system requirements provided by the publisher so that RPG fans wouldn't get burned buying a game they couldn't run on their current system.

Hopefully the publisher representatives were wrong, and that the game will be further optimized prior to release, and/or there was another problem/incompatability with the build or my set up that neither I, nor the 3 publisher representatives and their QA/compatibiility tests/team could diagnose.

But I didn't want anyone to get burned so I posted what information I had to help you to make more informed decisions — good luck, and happy gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom