Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DarkSun games

Sentinel

I played DS1 last year and really enjoyed it. I have not tried the Wake of the Ravager yet, because it is said to be much inferior (is it?).

I am wondering if there are any good mods for other games set in the DarkSun world (NWN perhaps?). As far as I know SSI games were the only official DS RPGs for PC.

Zomg

Arbiter
I honestly can't recall how Ravager is as a game, I just remember weird bugs and unbelievable Might and Magic VI-level ugliness.

Nickless

Educated
There's a Dark Sun MUD somewhere on the net that I tihink is Codex approved.

Mortmal

Arcane
Darksun 2 seems uglier than first one , it really aged bad especially on a large screen, not an inferior game but its full of bugs like weapons disappearing etc.
Theres a bettercd version but i dont figure how to get sounds with it even mounting the iso on a virtual cd rom with dosbox.Sound card is detected settings correct and nothing play...
Theres no mods worth mentioning on nwn1 or nwn2 , that probably way too much to ask that from the vibrant mod community they are too busy making furry companion mods and nude patchs.

Nickless said:
There's a Dark Sun MUD somewhere on the net that I tihink is Codex approved.

You're likely thinking of Armageddon, which is heavily influenced by Dark Sun/Dune and features permadeath and mandated roleplaying. I remember seeing it praised here a few times, tried it out -- it's incredibly good.

overtenemy

Augur
Sovard, which bug was it? I recently re-played DS1, and want to replay Wake of the Ravager which I remember enjoying, yet never managed to complete. The bugs that fucked me were the ones that cause area transitions to bring you some place undesired, like Undertyr bringing me topside, or one of those portal tapestries just bringing me into upper Tyr. How to fix? :[

Also, anyone know a place to download a working CD version? I can't find mine, and I'd rather have all the voices if at all possible. Yes yes, decline, I know.

Sentinel

clockradiospeakers said:
You're likely thinking of Armageddon, which is heavily influenced by Dark Sun/Dune and features permadeath and mandated roleplaying. I remember seeing it praised here a few times, tried it out -- it's incredibly good.

You mean this one: http://www.armageddon.org/ ?

Andhaira

Arcane
If you enjoyed SHattered Lands, you will enjoy Wake of the Ravager.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Sentinel said:
I played DS1 last year and really enjoyed it. I have not tried the Wake of the Ravager yet, because it is said to be much inferior (is it?).
Play it. Some aspects are a little less interesting (uniting the villages is much more fun than elemental artifact hunt #584) and the game has some nasty bugs (be sure to patch first) but is otherwise a lot of fun.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
overtenemy said:
Sovard, which bug was it?

Also, anyone know a place to download a working CD version? I can't find mine, and I'd rather have all the voices if at all possible. Yes yes, decline, I know.

It was when you were sticking the elemental weapons into the thingy, or that hammer into the thingy. It didn't do anything at first, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. It worked after I fired the game up the next day.

The site I mentioned before has full downloads for both games.

Fezzik

Cipher
I'm pretty sure that DJ old games has the CD version of the game. Looks like you have to pay to download it because of its size, though.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
The only thing the Dark Sun games need is a Drog to fix the bugs. Specifically the really nasty "no final fight" bug in DS1 and the plethora of small irritating glitches in DS2. They absolutely don't need a remake. A third game, on the other hand...

analt

Scholar
Mortmal said:
Darksun 2 seems uglier than first one

It doesn't just seem. The art styles are different, which is a matter of taste, but even the recurring elements from the first game, like the UI, are all ... I always want to say dithered, but I think that's technically wrong. Anyway, they have that washed-out look you get when you shift palettes or discard color information. It's quite horrible.

soggie

Educated
Sceptic said:
The only thing the Dark Sun games need is a Drog to fix the bugs. Specifically the really nasty "no final fight" bug in DS1 and the plethora of small irritating glitches in DS2. They absolutely don't need a remake. A third game, on the other hand...

Disagree. Darksun runs like shit on DOSbox, and is definitely good enough to be ported over to other mediums like Android and iOS. It's one of the more interesting old-school AD&D games, and a remake coupled with a proper set of modding tools to revive a community around it would definitely rock. Not to mention the plethora of enhancements you can add to it, like paper dolls, armor and weapon layers, better character sprites, HD resolutions, etc.

And replace the font with something more readable.

Omi

Novice
Sentinel said:
clockradiospeakers said:

You mean this one: http://www.armageddon.org/ ?

Armageddon is pretty incredible, as MUDs go. They allow people to roleplay on a level that shapes the game world. If I remember correctly, the code is heavily modified version of Diku. They've coded in classes and features that can't be found on any other MUD (complex classes and features, not some old bullshit).

Last time I played was the mid to late 90s and I just logged onto my character a couple months ago... still there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom