Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes English Version Released

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
<p>This indie game, a Turn-Based Strategy RPG Parody made by the lead programmer of Gothic, is now available in english.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Impatient Heroes which are waiting for the english version of Grotesque Tactics may sigh a breath of relief. You can buy the English version of the ironic Grotesque Tactics for <strong>19 Euros</strong> now. You can support the indie developers directly this way. All money directly goes in the improvement and sequels of the Grotesque Universe.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>I didn't find a demo link, maybe there is no demo (yet). Anyone who wants to check out how grotesque this game really is can do so <a href="http://www.grotesque-game.de/grotesque-tactics/index.php/news?Itemid=77" target="_blank">here</a>. There's also a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gdtIaIPmrA&feature=player_embedded" target="_blank">trailer</a>.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><em>thanks <span class="postbody">zappater! </span></em></p>
<p> </p>

spekkio

Arcane
It's in the tubes since half of June...
Too bad that I'm too lazy to check it out.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It's on pirate servers from 13 June 2010. Thought the developer was retarded enough to include fade, which caused some people to be critical enough, and go play Disgaea (which is RPG/tactic without developer who spend several weeks to develop smart copy protection and screwed up the game.)

Cenobyte

Prophet
Omg. It's supposed to be a "parody", but it's never actually funny. Combat is extremely boring and ridiculously easy.
Also, it mostly makes fun of JRPGs, or at least that's my impression from the German demo. So, you have the whole game full of wapanese stuff, which is uninteresting as hell, if you ask me.
Writing is hilariously bad. But hey, that's perhaps intended. Who knows? The devs are btw some students of a software development academy here in Germany or something like this.

As a side note, the advertisement in the German World of Players board was hilarious in that it dared to compare the combat of this game with Jagged Alliance 2, which is just hardcore blasphemic.

Psycroptic

Liturgist
What is considered the current leader of console strategy RPG's? I know Disgaea was the best of it's time, but that was quite a few years ago on the PS2. I guess I'm assuming they still play this genre on 360 or PS3.

I ask this because this game peaks my interest in the genre again, even though it really doesn't look good itself. I'm just curious what is currently succeeding at the task.

ksjav

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014
Cenobyte said:
Omg. It's supposed to be a "parody", but it's never actually funny.
~
Writing is hilariously bad.

Does not KKKompute.

KalosKagathos

Learned
Psycroptic said:
What is considered the current leader of console strategy RPG's? I know Disgaea was the best of it's time, but that was quite a few years ago on the PS2. I guess I'm assuming they still play this genre on 360 or PS3.

I ask this because this game peaks my interest in the genre again, even though it really doesn't look good itself. I'm just curious what is currently succeeding at the task.
Disgaea 3 is the only decent game of that kind on current-gen consoles, AFAIK. There's also Devil Survivor, if you count DS.

Andhaira

Arcane
Jean de Arc on PSP. Its the best since Final Fantasy Tactiks.

Norfleet

According to a scientific study to determine the funniest joke, apparently, while Germans are popularly believed to have no sense of humor, the study found that Germans actually think everything is funny, so this may be why their parodies are unfunny to people with more stringent standards for funny.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Norfleet said:
According to a scientific study to determine the funniest joke, apparently, while Germans are popularly believed to have no sense of humor, the study found that Germans actually think everything is funny, so this may be why their parodies are unfunny to people with more stringent standards for funny.

That was a funny statement.

flushfire

Augur
took the game from inventory cause a demo or retail copy is nowhere to be found and even then i regretted the time i wasted waiting for it. that's how bad it is lol

Dawnclaude

Novice
German press ratings are bettween 69% and 87%.
The developers are not from the games acadamy ( :roll: ) , they worked on Gothic 1-3 and Sacred 2.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Wrong. There's one guy who was involved in the Gothic series (which are hopelessly overrated in my opinion btw), the rest comes fresh from a games academy. That's even stated in the credits of the game, so if you don't believe me, check it out for yourself :roll:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Lost all interest at 'parody'. I hate the things if only due to the massively retarded fans they spawn, "ALL FLAWS WERE INTENDED COS IT'S A PARODY AND IT'S MAKING FUN OF OTHER GAMES/SHOWS/BOOKS/MOVIES HAVING THOSE FLAWS SO IT INCLUDED THEM TO MAKE FUN OF THEM LOLOLOLOL".

Dawnclaude

Novice
In my opinion the game has a humor like Monkey Island or Deathspank.
I love this game. Maybe you like the humor, maybe not.
Maybe also the white sheep knows that not all people have the same humor taste. But it's different and has nice ideas.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No.
Though I admit not having played Deathspank, I know that Monkey Island never used the same jokes again and again and again and again and...
I only say "Your semidivine holyness". I deinstalled after reading that for the 10th time DURING THE F*CKING TUTORIAL.

Maybe also the white sheep knows that not all people have the same humor taste.
Welcome to the Codex, babe.

But it's different and has nice ideas.
Can't argue with that. I liked the combat, etc. But the humor, I couldn't stand.
It's like watching a Bud Spencer movie, but everytime someone makes one of those flat jokes, it's the same flat joke as the one before, and only the first one in the row is mildly funny.

Dawnclaude

Novice
thesheeep said:
No.
Though I admit not having played Deathspank, I know that Monkey Island never used the same jokes again and again and again and again and...
I only say "Your semidivine holyness". I deinstalled after reading that for the 10th time DURING THE F*CKING TUTORIAL.

Ok you played only the tutorial... So you hate this guy? Damn that is the goal of this character!?
He said this in every dialogoue the whole game. Its not a joke , its only a characteristic. He is the parody of the Ultima Avatar and he is extremely arragant. You can compare him with Zapp Brannigan from Futurama. Look at his skills and maybe you understand the chacter then.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I know what the character is aimed at, it's.. well.. pretty obvious.
And that is the problem, everything in this game is obvious. There is no hidden humor, no thinking outside the box, just "BAM! HERE'S THE JOKE! EAT IT, PRICK! AND HERE'S THE SAME ONE AGAIN! AND AGAIN! DON'T GET IT? HERE IS THE SAME ONE AGAIN!".
As I said, this is a lower standard than Bud Spencer movies or other comparable stuff. And that standard is just way below my one.

It has nothing to do with understanding a character, he just goes on my nerves.
And if something in a game is rightout annoying, you deinstall it because you can't have any fun playing the game, no matter how fun other things may be.
Of course I could have forced myself to go further, but my gaming experience indicated that probably only more annoying characters will be introduced in the game. So there won't be one character doing the same "slogan" again and again, but multiple ones. And most reviews I read just confirmed that.

It's really not that hard to get, if you take off the fanboy glasses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom