Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum: Dead World *new Tarant screens*

spectre

Arcane
The aims of the project are extremely realistic, and deadlines will be enforced.

If I had a penny for every time I read this... I'd have a handful by now.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
spectre said:
The aims of the project are extremely realistic, and deadlines will be enforced.

If I had a penny for every time I read this... I'd have a handful by now.
I don't recall ever reading things like this when reading about new mods.

Yggdrasil

Educated
Re: Starting a large-scale Arcanum project, need collaborato

Cloaked Figure said:
What we need:
- Writers. Many of them. You will be writing background lore, dialog, and journal entries
Cloaked Figure said:
I am not promising an 80 hour RPG on the scale of the original game. The aims of the project are extremely realistic,
How many writers do you really need for a project of such scale?
I'd better choose to go with one or two guys who know their thing and are capable of writing some good dialogue without extensive moderation, rather than trying stick something good from a bunch of fragments produced by noobs.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Re: Starting a large-scale Arcanum project, need collaborato

Yggdrasil said:
How many writers do you really need for a project of such scale?
I'd better choose to go with one or two guys who know their thing and are capable of writing some good dialogue without extensive moderation, rather than trying stick something good from a bunch of fragments produced by noobs.

Yep, that was one of the mistakes FMF made. Seeing this sort of approach is why I suggested he read the post-mortem.

puppyonastik

Augur
Best of luck to you and your team, Good Sir. :salute:

Would you be so kind as to elaborate on the intended story, as well as hint on the topics you aim to take a whack at? Examples of the later being, racism and the effects of industrialization in Arcanum.

puppyonastik

Augur
Cloaked Figure said:
I've narrowed it down to two endings. *Spoilers ahead*

Either I am going to play off the ending where you kill Kerghan and return to Arcanum as death's champion yourself - laying waste to the lands and killing off most life before deciding to stop. Or I am going to play off the ending where you defeat Kerghan and return to Arcanum as a hero.

Do you mean that the player character in this story is the same individual the player character was in the original? If so, then you have some issues, such as the player character's high level. Towards the end of the original, the PC is quite a force to be reckoned with. It wouldn't make sense for the PC to then start your version as a greenhorn. Thus, you then must either provide a logical explanation for the loss of ability, or account for such a skilled individual and create a world where this person has room to grow... Both of which I find to be quite a task, especially the later, which would require you to create enemies of higher powers and rewarding character development for those with masteries in many (and sometimes "conflicting". Ex: techno-mages, combat-diplomats, etc.) fields. Have you considered these points and how do you plan on tackling these issues?

soggie

Educated
Heard that dialog scripting is a bitch in the original toolset. Good luck, JarlFrank. :smug:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Of course, Splintered Core will be my priority. This would only be a little side-prject where I write the dialogue and CF has to implement it. :smug:

The Barbarian

Liturgist
The Barbarian would probably have to finally get around to playing Arcanum to the end (forgive a broken man, Codex), but if friend Cloaked Figure is serious, then he should feel free to get in touch with Conan, who is happy to lend his pen to the cause.

Though Conan must also ask how this combined penmanship is to function. Does Cloaked Figure have outlines for all major NPCs, plot points and locations?

Or is the endeavor to be a composite one? Most RPG projects tend to get nowhere in the case of the latter. Which is why Conan urges Cloaked Figure to have a complete understanding of what he wants out of this particular project, before taking it on. Many previous examples of extreme ambition and the subsequent realization of sobering truths feed the cynicism evident in this thread.

For his part, the Barbarian is both hale and hearty - nary a cynical bone in his body!

I can write some if you need it. Never worked with toolset, but you said writers wouldn't have to really, so I offer some assistance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom