Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol: very unsatisfying ending

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Why the fuck couldn't I kill Marborg at the end? I kill Leland, then he pops up and starts talking, and despite me having every reason to want to kill him I don't even get the option? WHAT THE FUCK?

Monocause

Arcane
You must've been persuasive during your first meeting with him during the final mission. It is possible to kill Marburg near the end.

The point stands that backstabbing him should be an option though.

Azarkon

Arcane
If this happened, it's probably because Marburg had too high of an opinion of you. To kill him, you have to goad him into fighting you by making him hate you.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is gonna be like "I should have been able to kill Kelemvor" isn't it.

Dark Matter

Prophet
I've been wondering, is there any character in AP that can't die? I'm pretty sure you can either kill everyone or indirectly cause them to die.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Dark Matter said:
I've been wondering, is there any character in AP that can't die? I'm pretty sure you can either kill everyone or indirectly cause them to die.

I think there's at least Heck and Grigori, dunno about Hong Shi.

Dicksmoker said:
Why the fuck couldn't I kill Marborg at the end? I kill Leland, then he pops up and starts talking, and despite me having every reason to want to kill him I don't even get the option? WHAT THE FUCK?
There's a version of choices and consequences for you. You didn't pester him, and so he grew to like you and thus you couldn't kill him.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Azarkon said:
If this happened, it's probably because Marburg had too high of an opinion of you. To kill him, you have to goad him into fighting you by making him hate you.
That's gay as fuck. Yes, my reputation with him increased. I talked to him a lot, but it was only to get as much info as I could out of him before I killed him. At that last conversation while under arrest I chose the "Dossier" option and Thorton said something like you "You know how this is going to end," but that could hardly be interpreted as some kind of arrangement (which apparently he thought it was or otherwise he wouldn't have shown up at the end) especially since he KILLED MADISON FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

And what's even gayer about not having the choice is that he shows up right after I had been given the exact same choice with Leland.

For fuck's sake.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Xor said:
This is gonna be like "I should have been able to kill Kelemvor" isn't it.
Well at least there was a good explanation for that. Namely the fact that he's a god.

back to sportforredneck said:
There's a version of choices and consequences for you. You didn't pester him, and so he grew to like you and thus you couldn't kill him.
I hope that's sarcasm.

Clockwork Knight said:
I imagine the game doesn't consider the player schizoing out and wanting to kill the guy they didn't bother during the game.
Fuck off. My actions were consistent with a "let's get all we can out of him before we kill him" attitude.

When I first spoke to him, I didn't even know if he was loyal to Halbech or not (it was hinted that he wasn't). So might as well play that conversation out.

Then when I talked to him in his mansion, I wanted to get as much information as I could before I attacked. Of course I got tasered but then I escaped and got my gear back. Yet he's no where to be found in his own fucking mansion. And why wouldn't I have every reason to want to hunt him down there? And they even show him calmly watching me leave. Must be good at hiding hurr hurr.

Then at the museum I definitely went after him, had a battle and everything (also got to watch him kill Madison) but then he pulled a "lol i'm too fast" and escaped. No choice there at all.

And then there's that final conversation. I did see an "attack" option but it didn't seem that wise considering I was under guard and had no weapons. I picked the Dossier option instead just to fuck with him and also maybe sow a little dissent (anything to weaken Halbech).

pero

Novice
Azarkon said:

I'm pretty sure even that doesn't work all the time. During my second playthrough I went out of my way to royally piss that guy off and even with his impression of me as low as I could possibly get it, he still casually strolled out the door without even the slightest hint of vengeful intent. I guess it's a bug. Obsidian did a surprisingly decent job of ironing out the issues in AP -- engine stuttering and camera flailing aside -- but to expect polished perfection from them would be pretty dumb of me.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
You have to fight Marburg unless you use the Dossier option when talking to him for the last time (this nets you a feat). The Dossier dialog is consistent with earlier lines you can have with Marburg trying to convince him to turn on Leland.

If you're really pissed about it, do the mission again and don't use the dossier option.

Azarkon

Arcane
pero said:
Azarkon said:

I'm pretty sure even that doesn't work all the time. During my second playthrough I went out of my way to royally piss that guy off and even with his impression of me as low as I could possibly get it, he still casually strolled out the door without even the slightest hint of vengeful intent. I guess it's a bug. Obsidian did a surprisingly decent job of ironing out the issues in AP -- engine stuttering and camera flailing aside -- but to expect polished perfection from them would be pretty dumb of me.

The thing is, Marburg only appears at the end if you have certain variables set (I'm drawing a blank on what those might be, but it probably has to do with the Dossier). Otherwise he just escapes. You can kill him at the museum by goading him, and at the end if he appears to fight you. It sounds like Dicksmoker just chose the wrong dialogue option, maybe.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Xor said:
You have to fight Marburg unless you use the Dossier option when talking to him for the last time (this nets you a feat). The Dossier dialog is consistent with earlier lines you can have with Marburg trying to convince him to turn on Leland.

If you're really pissed about it, do the mission again and don't use the dossier option.
I really don't have much desire to go through that gay-ass helicopter segment, as well as other gay-ass things in that final mission. But I guess it's an option if I can kill him by choosing the "attack" option. If I save Mina, will I still have a chance to kill Leland?

Xor

Arcane
Dicksmoker said:
Xor said:

I really don't have much desire to go through that gay-ass helicopter segment, as well as other gay-ass things in that final mission. But I guess it's an option if I can kill him by choosing the "attack" option. If I save Mina, will I still have a chance to kill Leland?

Yeah, saving Mina doesn't really do anything other than piss off Scarlet if you recruit her. Also, brotip: save and reload during the helecopter segment and it disappears. That might only work on the PC version, though.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Xor said:
Dicksmoker said:
Xor said:

Yeah, saving Mina doesn't really do anything other than piss off Scarlet if you recruit her. Also, brotip: save and reload during the helecopter segment and it disappears. That might only work on the PC version, though.
Yeah but then you get blocked from continuing to the next segment. At least that's what I think happened when I died and reloaded during the copter fight.

Xor

Arcane
Whichever you're replying to, nothing was blocked off for me when I did it.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Okay I just went back and restarted that mission. Turns out there wasn't an attack option during that final Marborg conversation, just an aggressive "Ready to Die?" I picked that and then the next aggressive line and then he walked away. So does that mean I'll get a chance to kill him now, or what?

Xor

Arcane
The fight with him is supposed to happen in the server room, so if it doesn't I don't know.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
You can fight Marburg OR Parker, depending on your choices (TM).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom