Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Radon Labs file for insolvency

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Drakensang

<p>Despite the massive success of Drakensang 1 and 2, Radon Labs apparently filed for insolvency <a href="http://www.buffed.de/buffed/news/14938/Radon-Labs-Drakensang-Entwickler-meldet-Insolvenz-an" target="_blank">reports this website.</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>There goes another one, a pity really.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14935">RPGWatch</a></p>

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Define 'massive success'.

Such bullshit is bullshit.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Elzair said:
It is too bad. Even though the games might have been 'meh', they were developing an open source 3D game engine. It will be a shame to see them go.

drakensang 1 might have been "meh", drakensang 2 showed many improvements: tons of skillchecks, less linearity, multiple quest solutions, quests you can actually fail, quests that occasionaly require you to think etc. etc. all aspects that are pretty much dead in other mainstream RPGs.

all they d have needed d have been turn-based combat .....

From what i heard drakensang 1 was indeed quite the success, having great sales not only in germany but also later with the international version . most importantly it had a very small budget compared to many other mainstream titles, so someone (probably not the devs...) made quite a bit of money.

Drakensang 2 had a bigger budget and apparently lower sales despite being the much better game. The addon was scheduled for august.

shitty news, just when a company started to show potential ....

ricolikesrice

Arcane
drakensang 2 came out in germany just 3 months ago ... an english release date wasnt announced yet.

(took almost a year for the first game and that one didnt have much voice acting whereas drakensang 2 is fully voiced )

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Remember Titan Quest, guys?

After its developer shut doors, its top honcho made a rant against pirates.

He also made a rant against publishers, fellow colleagues, gamers, and game reviewers, blaming them all for shutting his studio down. Apparently, everyone but him was at fault.

I wonder if a similar outburst will happen from Radon Labs, but I reckon German manners prevent you from making whiny rants.

Felix

Arcane
Damn, and I was waiting for English version of Drakensang 2, what a let down.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
How's the voice acting in river of time? Appealing to the ears of a non-german speaker? Hopefully some saintly modder will make a translation patch if it most likely never comes out in english...

Fens

Ford of the Llies
according to the article they had to file for insolvency because the financial backing for drakensang 3 failed (investor backed out of the deal)

drexciya

Augur
As far as I understand the linked article the add-on will still be released. The problem is that one of the financing parties has stepped out and now they have a problem financing Drakensang 3. They're talking to other parties who might pick up the product so there's still hope.

Too bad, because Radon labs has a very neat engine and Drakensang 2 has improved a lot on the original.

Apart from the skill checks, puzzles and multiple approaches to quests there's more room for customization of your character. Also there's a different starting quest for each type of character and those quests link into each other. The fighters' quest integrates with the thieves' quest but then from the other point of view. And it's still a very clean game; I played it all the way through and didn't have it crash on me at all.

Andhaira

Arcane
Wow this sucks. However there is still hope as another investor might step in. If the quality of Drakensang 2 is as good as they say, it may very well happen.

I just hope it is released in english. No reason it shouldn't as they stand to make much money of international sales for only minimal work (only translation)

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
I wonder if a similar outburst will happen from Radon Labs, but I reckon German manners prevent you from making whiny rants.

Well, crytek whined alot about piracy despite crysis selling well.

.... then again crytek is multikult / turks :smug:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Drakensang sucked and Drakensang 2 was nowhere near an "improvement".

Hooray, we lost another shitty developer!

Morkar Left

Damn. Drakensang 2 has an annoying cam (why can´t I customize the controls in the option menu???) and the dialog-options are bit to restricted for a storydriven rpg. But the rest of the game seems really fun after playing the demo and I´m thinking about buying the game. But yeah, it seems that all developers who create entertaining rpgs are going bankrupt... :(

Phelot

Arcane
THere is no English patch yet? That sucks, I really wanted to give it a try. I saw promise in the first one, but it ended in major disappointment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom